New London Attack

It’s a way for everyone else to learn how the world really works.

Some people’s life meaning is to serve as a warning to others. If we don’t make a big deal out of this, he will have lived and died in vain.

I’ve had people close to me who died much younger than 25. You can get sad at this, or you can get angry. Only one of these emotions is a spur to any kind of action, helpful or otherwise.

Sadness is the first refuge of moral cowards. Stoicism is the second. A martyr complex is the last step before the soul shrivels up and dies. Don’t even take the first step down that path.

It is indeed very sad. I certainly wasn’t saying he deserved it or anything of the sort. Just kind of painfully ironic.

1 Like

You have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

According to this list, assuming it’s complete, the vast majority of attacks in London over the last 100 or so years have been from the Irish republicans. In fact, there were 17 attacks by the Irish republicans in 1975 alone. Since 2000, there has been 11 in total.

Would you therefore consider it a reasonable phobia to be scared of Irish people?

These attacks are being made by a political group, not a religious or racial one.

Saying Islam is a problem is just as ridiculous to me as saying being Irish is a problem.

Laugh? About someone who was murdered? Tell me this didn’t actually make you laugh, and this is your way of being edgy.

Oh, I know. I was just giving my own commentary about it. Read about it earlier. Reading the Dad expressing his heartbreak was quite sad.

Being Irish isn’t a choice and is a ethnicity. Islam is an ideology and religion. It is also a system of governance and laws.

I think it might be reasonable to have fears of someone who is part of the IRA. Are all Irish part of the IRA, nope. Are all Arabs Muslims, nope. Nor are all Muslims Arabs.

1 Like

Exactly my point, but the problem is ISIS and other groups that have an agenda, political or otherwise, against the West, not the vast majority of people that follow Islam which are peaceful and just as upset as you or me about this kind of thing happening.

I’m not afraid of muslims who don’t take their religion seriously.

I am afraid of the religion and the set of laws and rules of governance that is Islam.

Serious question, do you think Mohammad would be a peaceful westernized moderate Muslim or more like ISIS? Give me some things ISIS does that Mohammad through the Quron and Hadiths would not support. What is ISIS doing that Mohammad, and his successors in either Ali or Abu Bakar didn’t do?

How about Arab Christians and Jews who live in Muslim countries like Egypt, also unreasonable for them to have fears of Islam?

Does some of the teachings of the Bible also scare you in that case, example the Curse of Ham, which was used to justify slavery at one point?

You can feel what you want, of course, but I don’t think the religion is the issue. Freedom of religion is important to me, even though I’m not religious, I think people can believe what they want and I don’t blame them for it or expect them to change based on the actions of a terrorist group.

Christians, Muslims and Jews now disagree with such interpretations, because in the biblical text, Ham himself is not cursed, and race or skin color is never mentioned. Anyone can use anything to justify anything. I’m not sure why people always need to drag Christianity into the conversation. It makes no difference what Christianity says in regards to Islam. You want to argue Christianity is bad, go for it. I’ve never once heard a christian defend it with about about Islam.

ISIS

• Burns people
    Sahih al-Bukhari 6922—Some Zanadiqa (atheists) were brought to Ali; and he burnt them. The news of this event reached Ibn Abbas who said, “If I had been in his place, I would not have burnt them, as Allah’s Apostle forbade it, saying, ‘Do not punish anybody with Allah’s punishment (fire).’ I would have killed them according to the statement of Allah’s Apostle, ‘Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.’”

• Kill apostates and hypocrites
    Quron 9:73 “O Profit! strive hard (jihad) against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination”

• Sex slaves?
    : "The apostle of Allah sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the apostle of Allah were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives because of their pagan husbands. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Quranic verse, “And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess”.

• Slaves?
    Mohammad sold, bought, and traded slaves.

If you want to say the first part of the Quron is peaceful and tolerant, yes to an extent. But the problem is the doctrine of abrogation where newer teachings trump the older ones (Because the Quron contradicts itself so much) Look at what the Quron says to do in the 2nd half, look at how Abu Bakar and Ali both burned people alive, look at the history of Islam.

ISIS is one of the most literal interpretations of Islam. ISIS itself makes this claim and backs it up many times over.

But please, if you can think of 1 thing ISIS does that isn’t supported by the Quron or hadiths, or done by Mohammad and the caliph’s. Let us know.

3 Likes

:cold_sweat:

I’m going to Paris for Christmas and me and my girl are both worried about it. They always attack Easter and Christmas time.

This news is obviously unfortunate, but realistically you still have a much greater chance of dying in a traffic accident. I wouldn’t worry to a degree that it affects your vacation.

So actually both the victims were Cambridge students and members of that ‘Learning Together’ group.

Both so young.

“We know Jack would not want this terrible, isolated incident to be used as a pretext by the government for introducing even more draconian sentences on prisoners, or for detaining people in prison for longer than necessary,” they wrote.

I guess there will still be people who after this will still think this way. 8 years is far too short for a convicted terrorist imo. We aren’t talking about your neighborhood weed dealer here.

The point is, certain people uses their identity affiliations as excuses for their awful actions. Trying to prove you’re not a bigot is a trap. It lets them have it both ways and you get stuck with the bind.

Either identity X is a license to steal, rape and murder, or it isn’t. Pick one and stick to it.

My policy is to accept no excuses.

:grimacing:

Press F to pay respect

1 Like

A little off-topic, but 8 years would be way too long for a weed dealer. Maybe if he was pushing coke or meth too. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes I agree. He at the very least should’ve served the full 16 years.

By all means, send me your ticket then. :smirk:

1 Like

I think they just want to save money by not keeping them in jail.

Plus punishment is matched to the crime, you cant keep somebody in jail for years when they haven’t attempted to kill anybody, yet.

The British govt introduced internment in the 70s it was a disaster.