New Macbooks

Not exactly a apple fan (after a powerbook massive problem), but the new macbook has some really cool features, in particular, the

touchpad with technology leveraged from their touchpad in the iPhone/iTouch. e.g. multi-finger functions to: flip pages, zoom in/out, scroll up/down, etc.

a LED screen (lighter, more energy efficient, less chemicals, etc.)

unibody aluminium

more “green” (less bromine, chlorine compounds. The ROHS is about 2 years in effect, but Apple’s standards seem to be higher, it claims).

of course, it also has a convenient iSight webcam which set the standard for other companies (see HP) to make integrated webcams standard features.

despite my reservations about part’s of Apple’s biz, they are pushing the envelope… then again, next to flaccid companies like HP, Dell, etc., not much competition… (I would say only the Taiwanese, Chinese now are “movers” in the PC biz - Asus, Lenovo, but even their moves seem anemic next to Apple).

apple.com/macbook/design.html

I’m peed off as I just bought our first Mac (macbook pro) a week ago. :cry:

i heard (dunno if this is myth), that within a certain period, you can actually trade in if there’s a new model… sounds dubious, maybe if you’re cool with the vendor, he can help you.

yea, that happened to me with the PB move to Macbook… even bigger problems there as the Powerbook processor had heat problems…

That’s not so bad. Possibly I’m a luddite, but I try to avoid the 1.0 model. There always seems to be something wrong. Let others bleed on the leading edge.

However, did you get a good price on it?

Actually, I’m pissed off with these new Macbook Pros. They got rid of the matte screens, which professional photographers and graphic designers (and amateur schmucks like myself) greatly prefer. Yeah, they should be doing color-critical work off an external monitor, but look at that, they redid the display port so now you’ll need a special $100 dongle to connect to a 2nd display.

I’ve got a year and a half old Macbook Pro and I hope it holds out long for Apple to bring back the matte or I might have to go back to (gulp) PCs.

If they have the same glare problem as I have seen in every glossy screen I could never buy one.

It’s annoying how Apple always cripples their low end laptops. A MacBook is fine for work when connected to a larger matte display but without a firewire port it’s useless.

I just got an email a moment ago from Apple announcing these new babies. I looked and thought 'ah I wish I could up grade" then I read this thread. Thanks for the warning about matte screens. Although I can’t seen them having a problem for video editing, since I should be using an external NTSC monitor anyway, I’ll take heed.

I think the price was OK and the guy threw in a free mouse, case and 2gb extra memory (4gb total).

That’s not so bad. Possibly I’m a luddite, but I try to avoid the 1.0 model. There always seems to be something wrong. Let others bleed on the leading edge.

However, did you get a good price on it?[/quote]

Never buy Rev A from Apple is what I say…

According to this article you have up to 14 days later to swap for the newer model.
tuaw.com/2008/10/17/awe-i-ju … last-week/

According to this article you have up to 14 days later to swap for the newer model.
tuaw.com/2008/10/17/awe-i-ju … last-week/[/quote]

Thanks for that we’ll try to take it back at the weekend. I’ll let you know how we get on. :slight_smile:

No Dice

Taiwan will not get the new models for at least a month and does not follow the same “rules” as US businesses due to the franchise agreements.

:cry:

Not a fan of the glossy screen either. Anyone else think the black keyboards don’t look as nice?

Cool trick with the aluminum unibody though.

Perhaps adding one of these hoods will help make the new MacBook screens more usable.

Yeah 'cos they look really nice!

NOT

how cool is this little setup though…

http://www.apple.com/displays/

Couldn’t you just put a matting sticker on the screen if you don’t like the shine?