New maxi scooters made in Taiwan

[quote=“plasmatron”]But surely one look at the Peugeot renders all arguments about design of Kymco / SYM being anything but amateur hour nonsense null and void

Hey Joe…

yes that CPI looks nice, either they hired some offshore design people or the design dept did one hell of a job knocking off some Euro scooter’s design elements…

good looker but a bit of an oddball… 17" wheels!.. :smiley: almost zero storage… :frowning: trellis frame… :smiley: … NT$96,981 MSRP for a 50cc… :frowning:

PGO’s still streaks ahead of the other local manufacturers in my book…

Looks like a motorcycle, not a 'scooter.
Same for the above mentioned Peugeot.
Both may be fine bikes, but not 'scooters in the
common description - looks & utility wise.

where would the groceries and dog ride?

I hear you TC, not exactly the traditional Vespa based notion of a scooter are they… althought the Peugeot’s not ‘that’ far off, less so the CPI expecially with the 17" wheels and zero “step through”…

but to me at least, clutchless “twist 'n go” = scooter, regardless…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Looks like a motorcycle, not a 'scooter.
Same for the above mentioned Peugeot.
Both may be fine bikes, but not 'scooters in the
common description - looks & utility wise.

where would the groceries and dog ride?[/quote]
Exactly. A “maxi” scooter would have space for rain gear, two full face helmets, and would keep your feet dry in the rain (provided you were wearing a cape). It would have wheels bigger than a normal scooter, but smaller than a motorcycle, double discs, and heavier suspension than what’s found on a “normal” scooter.

[quote=“plasmatron”]Hey Joe…

yes that CPI looks nice, either they hired some offshore design people or the design dept did one hell of a job knocking off some Euro scooter’s design elements…

good looker but a bit of an oddball… 17" wheels!.. :smiley: almost zero storage… :frowning: trellis frame… :smiley: … NT$96,981 MSRP for a 50cc… :frowning:

PGO’s still streaks ahead of the other local manufacturers in my book…[/quote]

I am looking for a “scooter” - auto, that looks more like a cafe racer. The one above looks pretty close though.

Anything… erm… cheaper?

[quote=“plasmatron”]Hey Joe…

…[/quote]

The CPI will sell a 4-stroke 150 cc one (everything is the same with the one in the picture above, except the 150 cc engine) in Taiwan for around NT$ 70,000.
Now that’s a good buy!

By the way, this would be the first time CPI sells scooters in Taiwan since all their products were only for export before.

So I am looking forward to it!! :bravo:

i got a techno today (woohoo!!!) and while it may not be the best looking ride available (even though it is pretty damn sweet IMO), it has a hell of a lot of guts to it! i’ve ridden a few scooters in taiwan, a couple of them 150cc-er’s, and one of my mates has a kymco apex (or non-grand dink, whatever they’re calling them these days) with the same size engine it, but i think i can safely say the techno would leave it standing…it takes of like a bat outa hell and doesn’t want to slow down afterwards. it has a really smooth ride, won’t shatter windows when it goes past and best of all, has loads of leg space!! i’ve been a grand dink and the sym one and, while i’m not the tallest guy around (a modest 182cm), they had virtually no leg room, my knees were almost knocking the handle bars (same goes for the PGO G-max and the Shining XP), but with the techno, i can comfortable stretch my legs out without having to push my arse to the very back of the seat. and for only 62 000 including theft insurance, it’s a pretty sweet deal.

Congratulations, let us know when you figure out it’s top speed. I’m curious to see if it can break 110. A stock Cygnus can’t…but they can make it up to 110. You must have one of the very first on the street. I’ll swing by a Kymco shop today and take a look.

CONGRATS ROB! -
Is yours a 125cc or 150cc?
Is it fuel injected?
That price is excellent.
Please keep us informed.
Again, Congrats! :bravo:

it’s a 150cc, not sure if it’s fuel injected or not…the owner’s manual is all in chinese…

according to the speedometer it can do 140k/hr…not sure if it can actually do that or not though…the highest i’ve had it up to so far is 60…it took about 5 seconds to get there…it has awesome acceleration! haven’t really driven it all that much yet, just a few trips around the neighbourhood to get a feel for it. hopefully this weekend i’ll be able to take it out for a real spin!

i’ll be sure to keep you posted on it’s performance!

oh, to fill up the tank from near empty is about 125 bucks…not sure if that’s good or not since is the first scooter i’ve actually owned…

Remember to get the oil changed after only 20-50km. The bike shop will tell you that you don’t need to. But the majority of metal pieces flaking off happen in the first 20km…it’s best to get that crap out as soon as possible. You can also put a magnetic oil bolt in that can be wiped off for your next few oil changes.

You in Taipei or where? I could recommend some good shops if you want.

That Techno does look almost OK as far as those big scooters go. I could probably almost stomach it :wink: Looking at the pictures ont he Kymco site, it does seem to have some really nice design features.

What did it set you back?

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]That Techno does look almost OK as far as those big scooters go. I could probably almost stomach it :wink: Looking at the pictures ont he Kymco site, it does seem to have some really nice design features.

What did it set you back?

Brian[/quote]

:wink:

:blush: You mean you peopel read more than the first 3 sentences of any post :wink:

That does sound like a good deal though.

[quote=“cybertai”]

Someone is selling this supercharged Peugeot 125cc in Taiwan. The price after tax is around 450,000 NT. :loco:[/quote]

Holy Crap! :astonished: That’s like us$14000. A literbike here costs less! Sure looks sweet tho.

As far as the local Taiwanese manufacturers, do any of them stand out as being better than others? I’ll need a scooter when I get there and I’m kinda leaning towards the Kymco JR100. Is this a fairly solid bike to explore Taichung with or should I look elswhere?

Agreed. I’ve never quite understood the attraction of a scooter without a flat floor. Why not just get a motorbike?

It has nothing to do with the bike flexing, by the way. All bikes flex to some degree. The new Suzuki GSX1000 flexes. The Ducati 996 flexes. Just a little bit. It has everything to do with using very very very cheap materials, like a mild steel pipe, for the frame of the bike and not really thinking too hard about where to put things. If Honda can put a water-cooled 1,000cc engine and gearbox, battery, and large petrol tank in something not much bigger than a 250cc scoot, why can’t the scooter manufacturers? Well, the answer is simply that you get what you pay for. You’ll find the Blade has some sort of a box alloy frame designed by a computer and the Taiwanese 250 has a long metal broom handle holding the front bit to the back bit. Of course it’s possible to make a stiff flat-footwelled scooter but it would take time and R&D money to get it right. Why bother when you can just copy someone else’s design?

Kymcos are good (although they’re all much of a muchness). I’d go for a 125cc or 150cc though (I’m assuming the 100 in that bike means it’s 100cc). The extra grunt was realy worth it. When I was buying a new scooter 3 years ago or so, I went for the biggest scooter I could get without going up to the ‘maxi’ size. That turned out to be a Kymco Movie 150cc. It’s been a fantastic machine. I don’t take particularly good care of it or anything, but it still runs beautifully (and I use it a lot), and I’ve never had to have any engine repairs at all.

Brian

well, i’ve had a few days now to get used to my Techno and i’ve changed my mind about this scooter…it’s not a great scooter at all…it’s a kick-ass awesome one!

okay, before i praise it till the cows come home, here a few negative thoughts about it…first, the seat could use some improvement, like a bit of a higher backrest for the driver. second, sometimes, it can be a pain in the butt to get the seat to pop up (but that could just be me…), when you start it up for the first time in the day, it likes to start, wait a few seconds and then stall out…but after that, it starts perfectly every time (is this normal for new scooters?) and finally, when driving, it’s a very smooth ride, but when idling, there’s a fair bit of vibration going on (again, is this normal for new scooters?)

now, let the praising commence! it has amazing accelleration (sp?). when you open up the throttle, it just takes off…even with my wife and i both on (with a combined weight of almost 170kg…125 of that being me… :unamused: ) it just goes! i really cranked open the throttle last night (after i’d dropped my wife off at home) and before i knew it, i’d reached the end of the parking lot, a good 250 feet away. still haven’t got it up past 60 yet though…no open spaces for that sort of thing in Hsin Chuang…

it’s quite heavy for it’s size…it’s nowhere near the size of a grand dink, XP Pro RV or majesty, in truth, it’s only a little bit bigger than most of the other 150cc scooters out there…but compared to my sister-in-law’s 150cc, it’s about three times as heavy…i’m no weakling, but i have to strain to scootch over the back end just a couple inches…but even with this weight, it still gets up to speed quickly. personally, i like the extra weight to it…feels more sturdy and safe when driving…

the display on it is sweet…it just has a dial for the speedometer, when the lights are on, the whole display lights up a with a bright reddish-orange light, which may seem a little garish, but does a better job lighting up the display than the regular lights…the light on the speedo’s numbers is blue, while the arrow is the same reddish-orange…now here’s where it really shines (no pun intended)…there’s a light inside the blue speedo’s light that follows the arrow around…if you’re doing 40, the arrow will point to 40 and there will be a similiar coloured light on the number 40…i haven’t seen this before and personally, i love it! i think it’s a great idea, makes it so much easier to really see how fast you’re going. as for the rest of the info, there are LCDs for everthing…the gas gauge uses a series of five bars, kind of like a cell phone’s battery gauge, which, while not entirely to my liking, is still pretty accurate. when the tank is almost empty, the last bar flashes. i’ve put almost 30k on it and it’s still sitting happily at full.

that’s about it for now…oh, a neat little note, the passenger has those pop out foot rests which on the Techno, really do pop out…you press a small stud next to the foot rest and it just pops right out…nifty!..what can i say, small things amuse me…

Your idle is most likely set to low. From my experiences the majority of mechanics try to set it as low as possbible while still running…but that means that one little “hicc-up” and it stalls. Tell your mechanic to turn your idle up. If he says it doesn’t need it…tell him to do it anyway. I’m betting the next day it won’t stall…or idle rough.