New Music in Taiwan!

Hey everyone!

Well I had the chance to visit Taiwan last winter and I kinda got interested in the music I saw on TV there. They had a lot of music videos, most of which were not my taste (too many loves songs with wind chimes and piano) but there was this song “Ghost” that I liked by David Tao.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that I was wondering where I can find, or IF I can find, music from Taiwan for Download? My girlfriend found a site that lets you listen to songs in a radio-esque fashion but I want them for my iPod.

Also can anyone suggest any good Taiwanese rock bands that don’t sound like J-Pop?

a day or two ago, some kid just got busted by the cops for downloading a movie and 900 songs on eMule.

u serious battyboy?

Its not illegal if its not licensed in America, like with Anime. There are a lot of legal ways to get foreign and domestic stuff for free, not just downloading it from kazaa. However I’m not sure if these songs are licensed here or not. I wouldn’t mind paying for it either, just wondering where I can get it.

Also the radio thing I mentioned is here:
tienma.com/

Also I kind of think its rude to imply and assume that I was trying to get the song illeagaly, I just said download. You can download music from tons of American for $$ but they don’t have a good selection of non-western Music.

Ian, why not search for David Tao on the web…you’ll eventually get to the recording company and surely they will point to a website where you can download the music…unless, of course, you believe all the implications of total chaos in the “Chinese Management Style Thread”

Good luck.

Chou

[quote=“chodofu”]Ian, why not search for David Tao on the web…you’ll eventually get to the recording company and surely they will point to a website where you can download the music…unless, of course, you believe all the implications of total chaos in the “Chinese Management Style Thread”

Good luck.

Chou[/quote]

Yeah, I’ll probably have to do that but I was just hoping somebody would say something like “Oh yeah I do that all the time! Go here: www.perfectanswertoyourproblem.com

Thanks tho.

yeah, it was the cover of China Times or United Daily News. It caught my eye while I was in 7-Eleven.

and sorry Ian, didn’t mean to imply that you are up to anything illegal, though really, if you go around asking about where to download something… I was just passing on info that 1) eMule seems to have Chinese songs available, and 2) the authorities in Taiwan are now aparently cracking down on filesharing. Recently there was also a court decision against Kuro, a pay service that offers file sharing, and I think some of the top dogs went to jail, tho the service may still be up and running. Same uncertainty for EZpeer, the other Taiwanese file sharing service.

yeah, it was the cover of China Times or United Daily News. It caught my eye while I was in 7-Eleven.

and sorry Ian, didn’t mean to imply that you are up to anything illegal, though really, if you go around asking about where to download something… I was just passing on info that 1) eMule seems to have Chinese songs available, and 2) the authorities in Taiwan are now aparently cracking down on filesharing. Recently there was also a court decision against Kuro, a pay service that offers file sharing, and I think some of the top dogs went to jail, tho the service may still be up and running. Same uncertainty for EZpeer, the other Taiwanese file sharing service.[/quote]

Its all good. So do you know anything about the licensing issues?

Do you mean licensing for personal use? (vs. licensing for inclusing on a movie soundtrack, etc.)

Also, I’m curious what draws you to David Tao’s music. I’ve been talking to a few musician types lately who have pretty good things to say about him, which i find strange b/c usually there’s a divide between “musicians” and pop music industry types.

[quote=“batboy”]Do you mean licensing for personal use? (vs. licensing for inclusing on a movie soundtrack, etc.)

Also, I’m curious what draws you to David Tao’s music. I’ve been talking to a few musician types lately who have pretty good things to say about him, which I find strange b/c usually there’s a divide between “musicians” and pop music industry types.[/quote]

When I said licensing I meant it lick copyright. I’m not 100% sure how it works. With anime tv shows you can DL them legally in the US as long as they are not licencsed in the US. When an american company like Pioneer licenses a show then ur not allowed to DL the japanese version anymore. Thats how it was explained to me. I assumed it was the same with music.

About David Tao’s music - Well I’m not really a muscician or anything but his music just appealed to me. I think I said it before but his song “Ghost” or “Gue” (not sure if thats how you’d spell it) was kinda like a Nine Inch Nails song. I also heard he writes his own songs and lyrics which is rare in the Taiwanese industry. I heard some of his other songs wich are the standard slow love song, they don’t really intrest me.

I just don’t know how people listen to all those slow ballads, I wish they made more varried songs form different genres.

Sorry what you’re saying is a load of crap made up by Anime fans and many Anime clubs in America. I once ran one so I know.

Its just not cost effective for Japanese animation studios to hire detectives and sue people who happen to make their fanbase.

Japan is a nation that follows International Law as does the United States.

You are pirating, and perpetuating it, when you download and watch Anime via a P2P client or from copies. Just buy some anime stuff from the anime you like, imported or whatever, because these companies DO FOLD. “Do your part or artists starve”. Spending just $10 per series is better than nothing at all. Advertisers don’t pay them for you.

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]Sorry what you’re saying is a load of crap made up by Anime fans and many Anime clubs in America. I once ran one so I know.

Its just not cost effective for Japanese animation studios to hire detectives and sue people who happen to make their fanbase.

Japan is a nation that follows International Law as does the United States.

You are pirating, and perpetuating it, when you download and watch Anime via a P2P client or from copies. Just buy some anime stuff from the anime you like, imported or whatever, because these companies DO FOLD. “Do your part or artists starve”. Spending just $10 per series is better than nothing at all. Advertisers don’t pay them for you.[/quote]

Okay, you are right actually. I forgot that I had found that out. The government won’t come after you but the company itself has the right to sue you.

The thing that makes me think it is still legal is that we are allowed to Videotape TV shows that come on tv. These anime shows are recorded from the tv in japan and then put online for americans to watch. Is that really copyright infringement? I’m not sure that it is, but hey I could be wrong, I often am.