New National Immigration Agency starting January 2, 2007

[color=blue][Moderator’s Note: Starting January 7, 2007 there will be a new National Immigration Agency which will take over responsibility of immigration responsibilities such as issuing and extending ARCs, extending visas, and controlling immigration booths at ports. This topic can be used to discuss what changes are in store as far as new locations, procedures, etc. The web site for the new agency is: immigration.gov.tw/ ][/color]

Don’t know whether it’s already been talked about but this was in the Taipei Times today.

Immigration office switch
The Immigration Office under the National Police Agency (NPA), Ministry of the Interior (MOI), will become the Immigration Administration directly under the MOI on Tuesday. The new administration will handle all visa and Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)-related matters for foreigners. In Taipei, such duties were previously handled by the Foreign Affairs Division of the Taipei City Police Department until yesterday. Taipei-based foreign visitors and residents in need of visa or ARC-related services should visit the administration’s office at 15 Guangzhou Street in Zhongzheng District, Taipei (北市中正區廣州街十五號) beginning on Tuesday. Offices will also be opening in the 24 other county and municipal jurisdictions nationwide, according to the ministry.

I feel very sorry for anyone who needs to deal with visa issues in the next few days…

Good heads up though.

Does anyone have an address for this new “immigration department”? I have read that the building isn’t even completed yet. Can that be true? Does the current FAP have information on where to go?

I’m expecting too much, aren’t I?

Your wish is our command:

臺北市中正區廣州街15號 電話:02-23899983

No. 15, Guangzhou St. Zhong Zheng District, Taipei
Tel: 02-2389-9983

The Taipei Times ran a story about this the other day and someone posted it elsewhere in these forums, :wink:

Here is the the English site–ominously bare of any useful information. The Chinese side is, as you might expect, much more detailed and included the address of the Taipei service center. I would expect total chaos there for the next couple of months, but you never know.

Get a load of this blast from the cold war past in the English introduction:

[quote]
After the ROC government moved to Taiwan, the Provincial Garrison Command of Taiwan and the Taiwan Provincial Government on 10 February 1949 jointly issued the “Temporary Regulations of the Taiwan Province on the Entry of Servicemen, Government Employees and Travelers” under the instruction of late President Chiang Kai-shek: consolidating Taiwan and supporting the efforts to put down rebellion in order to smash communist plots to invade Taiwan. The regulations governed entry control to prevent the infiltration of communist spies. In order to prevent the loss of population …[/quote]

Clearly some civil servants are still not with the program.

The URL is: immigration.gov.tw/immig_eng … /maina.htm

In addition to the lack of information, there’s also a lot of broken links and obsolete information.

sounds like the address of the “bureau of entry and exit”, which always regulated the comings and goings of locals. maybe they’ve decided to combine all these functions into one unit.

Yes, they have.

An extremely important government site built entirely in flash with a cheesy musical background that despite being mainly useful for foreigners has almost zero useful information in anything other than Chinese. But as usual a veritable mountain of useless crap about who is more important than who in each department and ROC history that we’ve read a thousand times before when we applied for driving licenses, brushed our teeth etc. Another big fucking winner from the Taiwan e-gov machine. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

WHere the bloody F*** is that?!

Llary,

I certainly agree that the English side of the website is awful.

But the new Immigration Department is not “mainly useful for foreigners.” The Immigration Department has been created to deal with the 300,000 southeast Asian and Chinese women who are already in Taiwan and those who are following them. It also needs to deal with the tens of thousands of Chinese tourists who are about to arrive–processing, tracking, and deporting if necessary. It is very much an agency set up to control and manage these types of foreigners. Serving foreigners like us is WAY down on their list of priorities. I’m surprised you aren’t getting the message–the Taiwanese government tolerates first world foreigners being here but it doesn’t think Taiwan needs us and making life easier us for us is not exactly a policy objective. Think of it as a state of benign neglect mainly.

Notice what the Immigration’s Department’s first real act is–setting up biometric data collection (finger prints, faces, and retina scans) points at entry points to track Chinese nationals. This should give you an idea of what kind of agency this is going to be. Human rights and immigrant advocacy groups are complaining about all this, but it is going to be a struggle.

You East Siders really need to get down to funky town a little more often :slight_smile:

Guangzhou St. runs more or less parallel to Aiguo Rd. No. 15 is between Boai Rd. and Yanping S. Rd. If you were coming by MRT, get off at the Xiaonanmen MRT stop on the Green Line between CKS Memorial and Ximending (There is finally a reason for this line :wink:. Take Exit 2 and walk west along Aiguo until you get to Lane 36. Turn right, walk to Guangzhou St. and turn right again. The Immigration Dept. is on the north side of Guangzhou St.

If you are driving, remember that Aiguo Rd. is the big road that runs along the south edge of the CKS Memorial. I don’t drive and I don’t know whether you can turn left on Boai or Yanping. Street paring shouldn’t be too big of a problem. The nearest public parking appears to be a garage on Yanping S. Road just north of the city gate on Aiguo. It’s on the right (the east side of the street.)

If you are down early in the day (smart), be sure to visit the nearby Botanical Gardens at the end of Boai Rd. The National Museum of History (in the gardens) is also worth a look. I suspect both places would bore kids to death though. Just a lot of trees and peace and quiet.

Don’t you just love the happy music, pretty little flowers, flash intro, bright and cheery colors, etc ect?

It all just puts me into this kind of mood…

Ha…

My better half went to extend my ARC this morning, got it updated but they don’t have the little re-entry stickers to put in your passport yet :fume:

So they said come back on friday to get one :unamused: expect a few teething troubles :laughing:

Even in the Chinese version, there is no link for “foreign nationals” in the sense of most of us in the left side menu.

I dropped them an e-mail asking about it…we’ll see if they answer (assuming they can read my attempt at Chinese.)

I visited the new immigration office on its first day of operation (Jan. 2). My paperwork was processed after about a thirty minute wait. Everything went smooth except that the immigration officer took the original of my work permit, not the copy. After realizing the error while waiting in the MRT station, I went back to the immigration office and retrieved the original of my work permit.

Overall, except for the work permit issue above, the trip went without any hassles. There is limited seating available in the immigration office, so expect to stand. In addition, it appeared that there were fewer officers and more people, so I would expect some longer wait times.

From April’s Taiwan Review: Article by Kelly Her[quote]The National Immigration Agency, set up in January 2007, will facilitate the migration of highly skilled people into Taiwan by streamlining the entry procedure and by helping immigrants adapt themselves into Taiwanese society. Specifically, the agency plans to extend the validity of alien resident certificates from the current one to three years to five years, and to reduce the required residence period for applying to become Taiwanese citizens from the current seven to two to six years.[/quote]

Full article http://www.taiwan.com.au/Polieco/Labor/Foreign/2007/0401a.html

[quote=“Feiren”]You East Siders really need to get down to funky town a little more often :slight_smile:

Guangzhou St. runs more or less parallel to Aiguo Rd. No. 15 is between Boai Rd. and Yanping S. Rd. If you were coming by MRT, get off at the Xiaonanmen MRT stop on the Green Line between CKS Memorial and Ximending (There is finally a reason for this line :wink:. Take Exit 2 and walk west along Aiguo until you get to Lane 36. Turn right, walk to Guangzhou St. and turn right again. The Immigration Dept. is on the north side of Guangzhou St.
[/quote]

I’ve lived in Taipei on and off for 13+ years, including a year in Shimending, and never even heard of Guangzhou St. until my recent visit to the new Immig. Dept.

Had to go there a couple of times recently. My advice - arrive early, mid-week. I had two ~1-hour waits. They process “everybody” all together now. On many past trips to the old National Police Bureau up the street, I was usually in and out in 15-20 minutes.

I just renewed my JFRV-based ARC yesterday, and it only took 5 minutes from start to finish. I’m pretty impressed, actually.

Has anyone noticed that in the Republic Of China (ROC), prepositions should be capitalized and acronymized. Just goes to show that you can’t get into the UN unless you know the capitalization rules. Back in 1857 the USA tried to get into the UN under the name the United States Of America (USOA). Unfortunately for strange capitalization rules, its attempt first failed and so it later got accepted under the current name, USA.

In order to prove somehow that the ROC exists, I believe it’s still a law in the ROC that acronyms must include prepositions. Despite the strange acronym, I feel that the new site, Information For Foreigners (IFF), for the National Immigration Agency is not so bad. It’s located at iff.immigration.gov.tw/.

They took some effort on the Q and A, and I found that some things that the old Foreign Affairs Police were saying were not true. For example, they used to say that once you get married, the clock starts over on permanent residency. However, it is clear that if you have lived in Taiwan for seven years, you can also get residency. The new site clears this issue up and also many other issues. The English is not always perfect, but I think it’s pretty clear and helpful for foreigners.

Um, this is complete drivel. Neither the United Nations nor its predecessor the League of Nations existed in 1857.

Um, I don’t recall the FAP ever claiming otherwise. The claim was always that if you wanted to qualify under the shorter 5 year period, it had to be from the time of receiving your ARC on basis of marriage, otherwise you would have to qualify under the 7 year rule. The controversy is whether or not someone who has, for example, had residency for 5 years, but has only been married for 3 years would qualify or not. The law is unclear on the point, though the FAP had always said that if you want to qualify under the 5 year rule, those 5 years must be after obtaining the JFRV ARC on basis of marriage.