New noise pollution regulations for Taipei

News report today: It’s about time!

“New noise pollution regulations for Taipei on table”

In an ambitious effort to bring succor to Taipei residents, tortured by construction jackhammers, barking dogs and the incessant jingles of vending trucks, the Ma administration plans to overhaul the city’s noise code for the first time in more than three decades…

The proposed changes would affect a broad range of industries and would let police officers and others crack down on offenders by letting them use their own ears in most cases to judge what constitutes excessive noise, instead of depending on the cumbersome and often impractical noise meters now used to measure decibels.

That change alone would make it easier for the city’s police force and its noise inspectors to take action against a broad array of noises that have long bedeviled local residents: car alarms, loud motorcycles, vehicles with faulty mufflers and blaring radios in the wee hours.

The legislation contains painstaking detail about sound and its resulting fury, with many areas singled out for enforcement:

Let’s hold off on the celebrations until the laws are in place and (more importantly) someone is enforcing them. Maybe Jason Hu would like to take mayor Ma’s lead? Nah, don’t think he’s going to last that long.

Let me take this note of happiness apart with my bitterness of living here.

How are you going to get a dog to stop barking? What if the owners aren’t home?

Have you seen how old these guys are? They won’t be around in 2006.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Can you imagine the cops trying to ticket a political parties loudspeaker truck? Doesn’t matter which party, they all are going to blame it on political prosecution for their beliefs/party

The hardest part is will the police actually enforce the laws. I don’t think so, especially with the political loudspeaker trucks. Revamp the police dept and we might get somewhere.

CYA
Okami

Shoot it.

Ditto.

:wink:

Laws are fine but without enforcement they don’t help much.

[quote]Quote:
How are you going to get a dog to stop barking?

Shoot it.

Quote:
What if the owners aren’t home?

Ditto.
[/quote]
Damn, Rascal, that was funny! :laughing:

I really love this one…“Construction projects would most likely be curtailed on weekends and at night.” So instead of completing construction in a relatively timely manner, these projects can be like those in the U.S. and take months or even years to finish! Great step forward… :unamused:
Personally, I have solved all of these problems with some very inexpensive ear plugs… :notworthy:

They are probably going to battle noise from cars and other vehicles.

TT

"If a trial is successful, the vehicle — currently the only one in the nation — could be mass-produced and deployed nationwide to help alleviate a shortage of traffic enforcement personnel, Lu said.

The NT$2 million (US$64,356) vehicle is equipped with an array of microphones, a processing unit, cameras and a sound analysis system linked to the license plate database, EPA Air Quality Protection and Noise Pollution Control Division Director Hsieh Jen-shuo (謝仁碩) said."

"Trial operations of the vehicle started early this month, with deployment alternating between Taipei and Tamsui, Hsieh added.

The focus on Tamsui was due to a large number of illegally refitted vehicles contravening noise pollution laws on Provincial Highway No. 2 and Beisin Road on weekends, inconveniencing residents, the agency said."