New Organic Supermarket in Banciao

Just opened. I stopped in today to see what they had and was fairly surpirised. Looks like a really good selection of organic grains, fresh fruit, vegetables, several kinds of sea salt, frozen beef and pork. They have a bakery on the first floor which, (I assume) sells goods made from their organic grains but I didn’t check this. Reasonable prices. I noted that they also had a few non-organic items like Green Giant cream corn, etc. but most foods had labels announcing organic.
Exit Fuzchong MRT Exit 1 (Blue Line - just south of Banciao Station) The Supermarket is just across the alley from the MRT exit. Easy to spot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention those frozen blueberries for all you blueberry pancake fans.

[quote=“Enigma”]Just opened. I stopped in today to see what they had and was fairly surpirised. Looks like a really good selection of organic grains, fresh fruit, vegetables, several kinds of sea salt, frozen beef and pork. They have a bakery on the first floor which, (I assume) sells goods made from their organic grains but I didn’t check this. Reasonable prices. I noted that they also had a few non-organic items like Green Giant cream corn, etc. but most foods had labels announcing organic.
Exit Fuzchong MRT Exit 1 (Blue Line - just south of Banciao Station) The Supermarket is just across the alley from the MRT exit. Easy to spot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention those frozen blueberries for all you blueberry pancake fans.[/quote]Thank you, Enigma. I’m so there.

The store has been open for a few months (first on the first floor, then in the basement). But the bakery is new. I’ll try to stop by there today. Thanks for the news.

There wasn’t much bread when I arrived at 7:30. I was told that the bread is made on premises and put out twice daily: at 11:30 and 3:30. Some but not most of the bread is organic (check the label).

The bread store also doubles as a cafe, with fruit juices, coffee, etc. Plenty of seating.

Is this one of the “Lohas” marque stores?

There is one in Tainan an its pretty good. More than just food and has a cafe/restaurant also in it.

Should’ve picked up a namecard when I was there. :doh:

I didn’t notice the name. I don’t recall the logo looking like the one on the Lohas site.

I think I’m going to be in the area tomorrow. If I remember I’ll take a pic of the place and post it. But I do remember the name is ‘Lohas’ or ‘Lohan’ maybe. We’re on their mailing list but I can’t find anything laying around.

TC, I finally got a photo of the Banqiao place. That’s exit no. 1 of the Fuzhong MRT station in the foreground.

Are these local or imported products and if local from where? There’s organic and then there is organic. Anyone able to verify this is a reputable company like Cottonfields or the housewive’s associations shops?

So, how organic is this place?

I’m afraid I don’t know much about what’s supposed to be trustworthy and what isn’t. The fresh produce labeled organic is from a variety of sources. The store also carries food from lots of other countries.

Not everything in the store, which is quite large for this sort of place, is organic. But that’s the overall theme.

Someone who knows about this sort of thing should probably just go there and look, then report back. It’s right by an MRT stop.

Any update on this place?

It’s still there.

FWIW, another organic store just opened in Banqiao, just one MRT stop away. The one discussed in this thread is at Fuzhong. The new store (Orange) is in a corner of the new mall (B1) of the Banqiao Train Station (“Banqiao” MRT station). Look for the bread store at the far end (not the one near the middle). The mini supermarket is in the corner next to that.

Thanks cranky.

It’s just past the DINNING AREA. Another win for Taiwanese copy editing.

I spoke to the staff of Orange Mart today at the 6th Taipei International Vegetarian and Organic Food Festival 2010 and was pleased to learn that Orange is looking at opening one or more stores in Taibei in the next year or two, one this fall I think, and perhaps one in Nangang next year.

They have three stores in Xinzhu, too. Their website is here: sh1.obuy.tw/orangemart.

As for the Banqiao store, the flyer I have says it is in the Banqiao train station, east exit, B1.