New Orleans

Hm just wondering if real estate are for sale in New Orleans…is it a good time to buy? just wondering…I am pretty new at real estate thing…I mean like after 911 in NYC…and in New Orleans…might be good investment?

Geez. That’s just tacky. Wait until they’ve cleared away the debris and bodies.

Swim!

Maybe you could become a lawyer. Then you could swim after red cross boats. A red cross boat chaser. Like a “here and now” money thing instead of thinking about the further, not so far away future.

Since half the US oil refineries are in New Orleans and the surrounding region, the question of real estate has been on my mind too. The Mississippi River isn’t going anywhere and the commerce that passed through the city will still be there too.

It’s a good question. Here are the top google searche results for real estate New Orleans

news.google.com/news?q=real+esta … n&oi=newsr

Personally, I would look for areas that NEED to be rebuilt, around the refineries, airports and train stations.

However, if you’re “new to real estate investing” as you say, you may end up being the sucker at the card table. The city has been devestated and the water will there for 6 months they’re saying. Why not buy a nice duplex in Phoenix?

Caveat Emptor

Ironfist, if this isn’t insensitivity, I don’t know what is.

First of all, this is Taiwan. Second of all, you can research online for New Orleans real estate. Are you just trying to rile people up here, I don’t know.

Sad thread. Have a little tact, please.

[quote=“914”]Ironfist, if this isn’t insensitivity, I don’t know what is.

First of all, this is Taiwan. Second of all, you can research online for New Orleans real estate. Are you just trying to rile people up here, I don’t know.

Sad thread. Have a little tact, please.[/quote]

I don’t know 914. Some people are more business oriented and this could be a genuine question. I have to admit the thought went through my mind after the tsunami about buying land in Thailand.

Think about it this way. Some of those people have nothing now, not even the actual deed to their homes. No possessions, nada. Now the banks will have record as will city hall. They will need money, esp if they have no insurance. Some people might be praying that someone comes by and tries to buy their now worthless (for them) land.

IMHO, it’s a little early to ask around, yes. And esp if one has no experience in real estate. But I am sure that some people who have had their eyes peeled for RE openings in certain districts are bugged eyed now. AND some former residents are in serious need of relocation/start a new life cash.

However, you could be right, this could be a troll, and we both know trolls are poopyheads. :wink:

Seems blatantly tacky and insensitive to me.

How would you have responded if he/she inquired about opportunities to profit in the aftermath of the Bali bombing or the SE Asia tsunami? And, in fact, he/she did mention 9-11. Forget real estate – maybe one could make good money selling food, water and medical supplies at vastly inflated prices. Or funeral services? Or how about Christianity – offer food and water to the victims on the sole condition that they first listen to a sermon? Or how about recruiting the young female victims into prostitution – so long as they turn a few tricks for you they’ll receive food and shelter. In fact, I’d say the region is booming with great opportunities!!!

no trolling I was just thinking about it…just finding ways to make money, and I am not hurting anyone by it…actually I might be helping them by buying from them…was just a question

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Seems blatantly tacky and insensitive to me.

How would you have responded if he/she inquired about opportunities to profit in the aftermath of the Bali bombing or the SE Asia tsunami? And, in fact, he/she did mention 9-11. Forget real estate – maybe one could make good money selling food, water and medical supplies at vastly inflated prices. Or funeral services? Or how about Christianity – offer food and water to the victims on the sole condition that they first listen to a sermon? Or how about recruiting the young female victims into prostitution – so long as they turn a few tricks for you they’ll receive food and shelter. In fact, I’d say the region is booming with great opportunities!!![/quote]

Let’s not jump to conclusions shall we?

Wondering about what real estate will do after a catastrophe is not in the same category as selling food and water at inflated prices.

Cruising the crowds with power of attorney papers for the flood victims to sign over their land would be. This is a far cry from that.

Ironfist,

I apologize for barking in my last post. You have to understand considering how bad the situation is in New Orleans, it’s no wonder I would jump on you.

I’m sure if you do a search on the net you will find more information than asking people on Forumosa.com.

I still feel it was insensitive of you to post the question, but I realize there are all sorts of posters on this site.

Cheers,

Respectfully, and with considertion to other viewpoints, this is my take on the issue:

Mid to long term (as in after all the destruction is cleared), there will be little to no change in the real estate values IMO. Things will likely get cleaned up, the levies will be rebuilt to withstand greater storms and New Orleans will get back to normal (eventually).

I think very few people will sell their properties right now, at least not those who could avoid doing so. Most people will wait until the floodwaters are gone, repairs have been made and the hurricane is a memory. Selling properties in an area severely damaged and flooded by an act of god is obviously not a wise thing to do. The only people who will do so would be what are called distressed sellers. These would be people with no choice but to sell because they’ve fallen on hard times due to the disaster. I have a low opinion of those who would wish come in and low ball a desperate person for their property for profit in such circumstances; but I guess you have to be a little ruthless to succeed in business sometimes.

Let’s be clear: Iron fist is asking if it is a good time to buy now “like after 9-11.” As of now, there are reports of decaying bodies floating in the flood waters and a situation becoming more and more lawless and desperate. I’m with 914. It is insensitive to post about property values in New Orleans mere days following a disaster already being called one of the worst in US history.