New Paper ARCs

Good God, I hope this is a joke:

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003576117

I was wondering why … most countries go to plastic w/chip … here they go backwards … why not just add the cost to the total … but hey it’s Taiwan after all.

I wouldn’t mind paying the extra 94 NT for a plastic ID card.

Because they do not have enough machines, they break down and are expensive to keep, especially with the onslaught of APRC applications. Now, if they change APRC to paper I’ll be pissed…

Lemme see. I just paid 3000 for a new JFRV. It cost NT 100 to make. I fail to see the problem?

A great ROI for the NIA.

Any ID of paper looks very unprofessional as well.

While the locals pull out their laminated professional looking ID cards, the foreigners are fishing around for a dog eared, curled, crumpled piece of paper that will likely need replacing much more than the plastic card.

“With the paper ARCs in place, we may make as much as NT$10 million [US$330,000] on the budget by charging the big noses the same amount as we used to charge for a plastic card.”
I guess we could laminate it?
Thank goodness my aprc is comin in soon!!!

[quote=“bigduke6”]Lemme see. I just paid 3000 for a new JFRV. It cost NT 100 to make. I fail to see the problem?

A great ROI for the NIA.[/quote]
Since they already charged you a fantasy price why not asking 3000 + 100 and continue with plastic?

One year 1000NT$
Two Years 2000NT$
And three years 3000NT$.

What is the math here? One year and two years are three years so 1000 and 2000 makes 3000? Here, it becomes very clear what they actually think of us.

Just to be clear …
They wanna issue PARC on paper as well ?

[quote=“MoTi”]Just to be clear …
They wanna issue PARC on paper as well ?[/quote]
Don’t worry You’ll get a tattoo on your wrist.

Hot iron branding would be cheaper than a tattoo.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“bigduke6”]Lemme see. I just paid 3000 for a new JFRV. It cost NT 100 to make. I fail to see the problem?

A great ROI for the NIA.[/quote]
Since they already charged you a fantasy price why not asking 3000 + 100 and continue with plastic?

One year 1000NT$
Two Years 2000NT$
And three years 3000NT$.

What is the math here? One year and two years are three years so 1000 and 2000 makes 3000? Here, it becomes very clear what they actually think of us.[/quote]

Isn’t that what I have been saying all the time? Yet people say “Oh Taiwanese are so welcoming and friendly”

The change will not only affect ARC but any kind of resident certificate: ARC, APRC and TARC

I hope by “paper” they mean something similar to the laminated paper ROC ID cards. The benefit would actually be that these can be issued on the spot, that would come in handy for renewal.

If “paper” refers to something that looks like an international driving license my first paragraph applies.

I would call this “incompetence,” not a lack of friendliness. You, sir, have a chip on your shoulder.

A laminated card would be all right I guess.
I wish instead of fooling around with the type of material the card is printed on, it would be much better served by getting rid of the stupid two initial letters on the ARC that no computer system anywhere on the island can make heads or tails of.

I even don’t really believe that the 100NT$ are the problem.
I think the real problem is, that these are easy to fake.

The printed clear-foil comes off quite easily leaving no trace on the card itself. The only thing you needed to do now, is to get a printer some transparent printing paper (Nova). Steal someone’s ARC.
Copy the original clear foil, photoshop it with your picture, birth date and print it out. Attach it to the card and here you go.

My first ARC 7 years ago was paper. Was happy to see the plastic one a year or two later. Going back now? That’s cheap.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]I even don’t really believe that the 100NT$ are the problem.
I think the real problem is, that these are easy to fake.

The printed clear-foil comes off quite easily leaving no trace on the card itself. The only thing you needed to do now, is to get a printer some transparent printing paper (Nova). Steal someone’s ARC.
Copy the original clear foil, photoshop it with your picture, birth date and print it out. Attach it to the card and here you go.[/quote]

Yeah I’d say we aren’t getting the full story, but to go back to paper seems a dumb move.

Does this also mean we won’t be able to use the e-gate thing at the airport when leaving the country?

I sure hope not. I love the e-gate. There’s never a line there.

I sure hope not. I love the e-gate. There’s never a line there.[/quote]

“The foreigners are blocking the e-gate, let’s take this benefit away from them!”