New passport, current visa in expired passport

I’m presently in new Zealand and thinking of applying for a new passport. My current passport is still valid for about 18 months but i’m thinking of the convenience factor as I don’t know when I will next return to NZ.

In NZ when you apply for a new passport, they cancel the old one. Will I have to apply for a new visa when I renew my contract at work?

I would appreciate an advice.

I’ve changed passports while in Taiwan and had no problems, just go down to the FAP and get them to note the new number on my ARC. I think if you have a Taiwan ‘consulate’ down there you can just run it by them.

I’ve known people who’ve changed passports while on a resident visa, and they just stamp a new reentry permit in the new one, so not to confuse them just carry both around whenever you travel etc.

Going to be in a similar position in a couple of weeks when I go back to the UK for a vaca. My passport is full, no empty pages left. While in the UK I will get a new passport, as my (valid?) re-entry permit is in the old passport will I need to visit the Taiwan consulate in the UK to get a new permit or can I do this once I get back to Taiwan ?

My concern with trying to do this in Taiwan is when I land I would presumably only get a landing visa which can’t be extended ??

If I have a valid ARC in hand without the re-entry permit in my passport what would customs do ?

I’ve been in that situation: Re-entry permit in my old (no longer valid) passport, new passport with no reentry permit. Just take both passports with you, and they’ll happily look at your old passport for the reentry permit, then look in your new passport for stamp, etc. None of the officials even looked surprised when I handed them 2 passports - I guess it’s actually quite common.

See this post and others in that topic: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 953#335953](US passport renewal and TW Residency Visa, etc

Summary: ROC recognizes visas and re-entry permits as valid even if they are in an expired or cancelled passport.

Also, instead of getting a new passport you might want to check if the UK can add pages to your passport. You can do this with US Passports, and it’s much easier and cheaper than getting a new one. Also the US lets you request a larger passport with double the pages of the standard one when applying for a new passport. Just attach a request to your application stating you want one. The UK may also have a similiar arrangement for getting a larger passport. If you travel a lot it’s not hard to fill up a standard passport.

Been there tried that a few years back in HKG, UK does not let you add ‘inserts’ like the US does :fume:

In the UK you can get a passport with more pages std is 32, thicker is 48 pages. I already had the thicker passport, but they still don’t last as long as the validity of the passport itself (10 years) :sunglasses:

Its good to know I will not need to run up to the Taiwan consulate to get a new re-entry permit thou… less things to worry about.

I got my new passport. Valid for 10 years. I just made the cut-off, new NZ passports will be issued with 5 year validity only so I’m kind of glad I did it, even though I still had 18 months left on my old one. The new regulation has something to do with security issues.

I presented both passports to immigration and recieved a new re-entry permit at my local Foreign Affairs Police Station. I might take old passport next time I leave Taiwan as I think they do ask for the visa number on the imigration forms.

Thanks to all who replied to my query.

Wow, that was news to me. Does it have anything to do with the machine-readability? I had one of the batch from 96 that had to be re-issued. It came as a shock being told I had to be issued a new passport for security reasons when I entered my hometown tinpot airport last time I set foot in NZ.

I’ll probably need to know this some time in the following year as my passport expires early next year and I don’t foresee a trip to New Zealand in the very near future. How do you get to 333 Keelung Road from the train station? I don’t know Taipei well.

You are supposed to put your Re-Entry Permit number in the visa number box. I know, confusing and something not written down anywhere. :loco:

That’s funny. I’ve never put the re-entry permit number on it. Still seem to get in O.K. I notice there are similar errors on the Tax declaration forms. Where it says Tax Code Number apparently you are supposed to put your ARC number.

Funny old place eh?

333 Jilong Road is the “World Trade Centre”. Ask for the Hyatt Hotel or the Shi Mao Zhong Xin at the corner of Xin Yi. Why these idiot companies give their addresses as 333 Jilong Road never ceases to amaze me. HSBC do as well. Stupid gits.

The passport thing: I’ve recently done mine. You need to get the re-entry permit in the new one, and then on your first journey out bring both passports as immigration need the yellow slip. After that you can travel on the new one.

[quote=“WeiLong”]I got my new passport. Valid for 10 years. I just made the cut-off, new NZ passports will be issued with 5 year validity only so I’m kind of glad I did it, even though I still had 18 months left on my old one. The new regulation has something to do with security issues.

I presented both passports to immigration and recieved a new re-entry permit at my local Foreign Affairs Police Station. I might take old passport next time I leave Taiwan as I think they do ask for the visa number on the imigration forms.

Thanks to all who replied to my query.[/quote]

is the cut off already, um, cut off then? im due back in a couple of weeks and would like to get a new passport…

Thanks for that info 21p. I know where the Hyatt hotel is and roughly how to get there.

Yep, you’re too late, sorry about that. You never know they might appeal the law change yet.

As far as the yellow slip in your passport goes I pulled it out yesterday,and sure enough they crossed out my visa number and wrote in the re-entry permit number.