New policy on ARC renewals?

Taoyuan is a “friendly” police department even if they are a bit disorganized. They continue to issue three year ARC extensions and willingly process permanent resident applications.

Please DO NOT file an administrative complaint against them, and please be nice to them when you go there. We don’t want Taoyuan to turn into another Taipei County.

[quote=“Feiren”]Taoyuan is a “friendly” police department even if they are a bit disorganized. They continue to issue three year ARC extensions and willingly process permanent resident applications.

Please DO NOT file an administrative complaint against them, and please be nice to them when you go there. We don’t want Taoyuan to turn into another Taipei County.[/quote]

Well, yes, I don’t want to rock the boat, but if they mistreat me I will surely fight for my rights. As long as they are nice and follow the rules, no problem.

They have been nice so far, even when I screamed at them for 30 minutes beacuse they didn’t want to change my address. :smiling_imp:

Do I need to do anything to get my ARC renewed (I have a OWP) besides going down to the station that is? Do I need to take a medical test again?

Go down there and pay NT$1-3k and you should be OK. That’s what I usually do - and it works. Remember to bring the paperwork, though.

When I went, they wanted my wife’s ID and a recent official copy of my household registration certificate. Nobody asked about a medical exam, though I had that happen to me once several years ago :imp: .

Mucha Man, let us know whether they give you a 3 year or 1 year extension if you would. You never know, 3 today, 1 tomorrow.

I got a 3 year ARC by marraige in Taipei City 3 years ago. I tried tio renew it in Taipei yesterday but because I had put a Banchiao address on the form they sent me up to Banchiao, where they would only issue me with a 2 year stay. The (very grochy) guy on th counter said it was “regulations”.

Anyone else had this problem?

I wangled me a 3-year ARC by marriage today from Taipei City without getting a one year ARC first.

Anyone who is changing from one type of ARC to a marriage-based ARC might want to try this:

Before changing to a marriage based ARC I had a work based ARC. I waited until the work-based ARC had about 4 months validity remaining, then did the change. I asked that rather than issue me a new 12-month ARC and charge me NT1,000 they let me use up the 4 months still remaining on my old ARC and not charge me. They were quite happy to do this and issued a new ARC with expiry date exactly the same as that on my old work-based ARC.

Today, I went in to get the four month old marriage-ARC extended, asked for three years and got it. They did realize what I’d done and I had to convince them of the justice of it. Probably helped having the wife to dote by my side.

That’s why I keep an address in Taipei City, regardless of my physical residence at the time. There doesn’t seem to be any specific requirement other than being able to receive mail there (which happens seldom). I’m scared of Banqiao whether for taxes or ARC stuff. Luckily I’ve got another 2 1/2 years before I have to deal with all this again. (Well, ARC at least…taxes might be another issue. :wink: )

Why don’t all the foreign spouses and other garden-variety foreigners just band together, rent a room in Taipei, and have a mail drop?? We could administer it like a time-share…

It’s very interesting the way in Taiwan parliament makes a law, and then bureaucrats arbitrarily negate it. Why don’t they just do away with the legislature altogether then ? This is a lottery.

If your ARC shows your address as living in Taipei County, then regardless of where you actually live, you have to go to the Foreign Affairs Police Station in Banqiao to renew your ARC.

Last year I got a one year marriage ARC from Taipei County. It took three days of going back and forth to the police department, and every day they demanded a new copy of the house registration. They also demanded that I be there, not just husband, everyday. I was Pregnant at the time and this was a very rediculus bunch of crap. I also was required to do the psycial. I was this guy’s obviously pregnant wife!

This year, (about three weeks ago) we live in Taipei City and I was with my husband but he did the paper work and walked up to the counter, they never even glanced my way, and it was no problem to renew it with nothing but my passport, old ARC, and the form. My husband didn’t realize we could get a three year ARC and had only applied for a one year extention and the lady at the counter told him he could get three years if he wanted. Next time permanent.

We were both shocked at the difference between city and county. Seems we’re not alone!

I think the same thing could be said on the treatment of female and male foreign spouses

Although it seems obvious enough, does the address on the household registration have to be the same as the ARC? I’m on a Yong He household register but wouldn’t mind being registered in Taipei City for the sake of ease.

HG

I have a question along the same lines but looking at it the other way

If you are on the household reg that is say in Keelung, should the address/ place on the Household reg not strictly be your residence too?

If that is the case should I not apply in Keelung for the JFRV, eventhough my current ARC says I reside in Taipei City

Why would anyone want to do that in Taiwan ? Maybe it’s to counter foreigners. A while ago someone asked me why I would think the DPP had an axe to grind against foreigners, here’s yet another example.

Is this just Taipei County or other places too ? Anyone got an ARC lately anywhere ?[/quote]

I am applying for a new ARC later this month. I asked about it a couple of months ago and they said that I could get a three-year extension. This is in Taichung. I will let y’all know what happens on the 18th.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Although it seems obvious enough, does the address on the household registration have to be the same as the ARC? I’m on a Yong He household register but wouldn’t mind being registered in Taipei City for the sake of ease.

HG[/quote]
Yes, You definately need your household registration when registering a change of address, pretty sure you need it for extending your ARC too.

Would it be legal to be registered at an address when you don’t actually live ? I don’t think they want your address so they can send you a birthday card… Surely they want to keep an eye on your every movement and know where to find you.

[quote=“matthewh”]Yes, You definately need your household registration when registering a change of address, pretty sure you need it for extending your ARC too.

Would it be legal to be registered at an address when you don’t actually live ? I don’t think they want your address so they can send you a birthday card… Surely they want to keep an eye on your every movement and know where to find you.[/quote]

On the first point, in my experience, this is NOT needed. The only thing I needed when I changed my address was my passport and my ARC. I didn’t even need to bring a photo. It seems, like many other things, it depends on where you go. Best advice is to call the FAP office in your locality before going.

Same on the second point. My wife and I are registered in Beidou, but the FAP told us that it is ok. No problem.

In Taichung City, they are apparently still issuing 3-year ARC’s (my wife called them this morning after I read earlier posts in this thread). They DO require to see our registration, but it doesn’t have to be in Taichung. The FAP office in Taichung seems to be very foreigner friendly.

If anyone in Taichung City has any negative experiences, please let us know.

Boss Hogg, if you are reading this, you go to Fengyuan in Taichung County, right? How are they up there?

Ok I am hoiping could somebody tell me if this will work

I got married a month ago. Anyway now I am changing from my ARV that I got through my company ( work permit) to an JFRV and an ARC by this

My wife’s family has the Household registration in Keelung. My wife and I also have a friend that is in the Foreign Affairs Police in Keelung and processes ARCs

Now usually to get this JFRV you need

A Health Cert
Clean Criminal Record
Marriage License
Household registration Cert (copy)
Current ARC
etc etc

However our friend said that they can do it in Keelung and wouldn’t need the Clean Criminal record as I have been here so long or the health cert, so this would make JFRV less complicated and cheaper to get and I would get the 3 years no problem

The thing is though that I am a little unclear about how this will work and if there will be problems later

I have my ARC through my company, and my place of residence on it is Taipei City
What I hear from my friend is that he with my current ARC, marriage cert and Household registration Cert can issue me a JRFV in Keelung. Then an ARC can be issued from this ( actually what will hapen is they will change the address on my current ARC)

Later on in a month or two anyway, my wife is going to move herself onto a new Household registration in Taipei for her and I. Then I think I have to transfer my ARC to Taipei (in relaityy I will again just change the address on my ARC and put me on the system as resident in Taipei)

My question is, is the above possible or is there a flaw in the logic here somewhere

If I have an JFRV and the ARC from this, if we move residence and Household registration to Taipei,do I need to go through all the application again for the JFRV, and end up having go do the health cert and Clean Criminal record, or can I just transfer it all to Taipei from Keelung

When I get the JFRV and the ARC this way, does it not cancel my original ARC, and if so does this impact my work permit anyway

[quote]However our friend said that they can do it in Keelung (Jilong) and wouldn’t need the Clean Criminal record as I have been here so long or the health cert, so this would make JFRV less complicated and cheaper to get and I would get the 3 years no problem
[/quote]

It’s bullshit. You need a CCRD.

Brian