New Post Ranking System -- plmkwyt

I’m posting this here first, and then moving it to the Feedback forum – g.

Here’s something we can talk about at tonight’s Moderator Meeting :slight_smile:

We are “Taiwan-izing” the posting ranks (aka Posting Titles) – please let me know what you think of these and the order they come in.

Note that members whose posts are rated by other members will be ranked by a DIFFERENT set of titles. Rating titles override Posting Titles.

Cai Niao 0 to 10 Wang You 11 to 50 Game Parlor Gangster 51 to 100 Betel Nut Baby 101 to 150 Chair-throwing Legislator 151 to 200 Gravel Truck Driver 201 to 250 Newspaper Copyeditor 251 to 300 Chicken Butt Connoisseur 301 to 350 Scooter Commuter 351 to 400 Chinese Class Dropout 401 to 450 Pearl Milk Tea Waiter 451 to 500 Fried Chicken Parts Vendor 501 to 550 Doujiang Brewmaster 551 to 600 Certified Chop Maker 601 to 650 Tofu Delivery Person 651 to 700 Third Wife / Xiao Bailien 701 to 750 Bird Walker 751 to 800 Mahjong Maniac 801 to 850 Breakfast Store Laoban 851 to 900 Undercover Military Guard 901 to 950 Yushan Souvenir Vendor 951 to 1000 Temple Fortune Teller 1001 to 1100 Lu Bien Tan Laoban 1101 to 1200 Benz Bandit 1201 to 1300 Triad Member 1301 to 1400 Er Fang Dong 1401 to 1500 SME / Factory Boss 1501 to 1600 Presidential Advisor 1601 to 1700 Curriculum Writer 1701 to 1800 Bushiban Laoban 1801 to 1900 Wild Chicken Bus Driver 1901 to 2000 Anointed Party Candidate 2001 to 2100 Arowana Breeder 2101 to 2200 Former City Mayor 2201 to 2300 Retired President 2301 to 2400 Generalissimo 2401 to 2500

A couple of week’s ago, I invited those who “bought” the priviledge to use Custom Titles to e-mail me. You will be credited G$ 250 after the new rankings take effect.

What about me Gus? I’m over 2,500, so I’ll have no ranking at all. (Not that it bothers me really, but… I’d like to still be the laird).

Ah, right, well, how about this: if you reach 2,500 and NO ONE has rated your posts enough to get you in the Rating Titles set, then you can choose your own custom title (So you can stay the Laird, if you want)

I actually think these Posting Titles are too many – since the Rank Titles will probably kick in for most people after a few hunderd posts

Could you please explain the rating titles a little more (or post a link if you have already explained them in another thread).

I suggest changing Chicken Butt Connoisseur to Chicken’s Feet Connoiseur.

And Sandman, anyone with more than 2,500 posts can simply be called a Forumosan demi-god.

Could we still choose to have no title, or do we have to use them?

I’m not sure if I’ve discussed Rating Titles publicly yet (and I’m too lazy right now to search)

Here’s a breif rundown:

There are “Rating” links at the bottom right corner of each post. When you use this link to rate a post, the value you choose is used in several ways. let’s call this value “Post Points”. Post Points are used to calculate three types of Ratings: for that particular Post, for the entire Topic Thread, and for the Post Author.

You can see what the highest rated Posts and Topic threads are by clicking links at the top of each Forum page. But you cannot easily see how members are rated – let’s call this your Author Rating

As a member’s Author Ratings changes, the most visible effect is in the Titles. The Ratings system overrides the Posting Titles (the titles I’ve listed above), and uses a set of titles that is assigned based on the Author Rating.

For example, say Joe Bloggs has written 3 posts on Forumosa. The first post is highly regarded, and 3 Forumosa members have given it “+3” Post Points each (for a total of 9 Post Points). Joe’s second post is ok, but not as impressive – only one member gave it a “+1”. At this point, Joe’s Author Rating total is 10 Post Points. Joe’s third post is not so good – it’s a flame. This has annoyed several members, who punish the post for a total of “-6” Post Points. Joe’s Author Rating stands at “4”.

Let’s say the lowest Author Rating is 20 Post Points to earn the title “BMOF – Big Member on Forumosa”. Joe only has three posts, so his title remains at “Cai Niao” (4 < 20). If more members rate Joe’s first two posts, then thre is the chance that his Author Rating could go above 20 – so even if he never posts again, his title changes from Cai Niao to BMOF.

I hope this helps

If you have suggestions for Rating Titles (and their values), please post them here. Negative Rating Titles are also welcome (and please include suggested values for these, too)

Short answer: you have to use them

The titles that “really matter” are the Ratings Titles. They reflect some kind of general community sentiment (well, at least, the sentiments of those who bother to use the ratings system).

I think we can create a Custom Title that is blank (or “None” or “–”), but if the Rating Title system cannot over-ride it, I would prefer not to give such a title away.

Now, if you can convince one of the administrators to create the blank custom title and then give it to you (good luck), then you’ll get it. However, if another administrator doesn’t buy into your argument, the custom title will probably be taken away – or at least it will spark some kind of discussion here (we currently have 3 admins and if we can’t come to a quick consensus, we’ll probably vote for a decision)

In short: I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you

Someone gave me a negative rating because I objected to him stealing things, So I wouldn’t read too much into it, unless that is what people really think ?
When will we be able to see these new ratings ? Will this replace the ‘number of posts’ ranking ? Is that list above not ‘number of posts’ ranking ?

I’m glad the titles are back. But this one is kind of weak.

“Pearl Milk Tea Waiter” how about zhen zhu ball roller or some other such silly thing. I mean who waits on tables exclusively for milk tea?

Enjoy your party at Bien. And if they have a Milk Tea waiter …well I’ll tuck tail, apologize and run.

Chou

I’d rather keep my ‘self-chosen’ title. I think people being able to choose their own titles, adds a bit of color.

brian

I think titles should be earned not bought as they are a reward for posting. You can add color with your animated gifs or personal photo or signature.

Yes, but if you earn the guanxi, which you then use to buy the title, then that title’s earnt innit? I’d liek the option to earn/buy my own title.

Brian

Remember, that as time goes on, many people will have over 2,500 posts.

Yeah, and my post are much too shallow and banal to be rated by anybody. I don’t think any of mine have ever been rated.

How about instead of replacing the traditional titles with the new Rating Titles, you make an additional field to hold the Rating Title.

It might be strange to have two textual titles at the same time, so you could make the Rating Title graphical and keep the traditional title textual.

For instance, use gold stars for the rating titles. Every +5 points is an extra half star, or something like that. I think this system would please most people.

I just don’t like the titles that seem to focus on all the things that foreigners always complain about in Taiwan, or make fun of people of a lower social and economic status, or the food that people like. If somebody could convinceme that my view is completely warped, I’d be happy.

[quote=“scomargo”]How about instead of replacing the traditional titles with the new Rating Titles, you make an additional field to hold the Rating Title.

It might be strange to have two textual titles at the same time, so you could make the Rating Title graphical and keep the traditional title textual.

For instance, use gold stars for the rating titles. Every +5 points is an extra half star, or something like that. I think this system would please most people.[/quote]

Very good idea. And you could have stars with those for positive ratings and something else for those with negative ratings.

[quote]I just don’t like the titles that seem to focus on all the things that foreigners always complain about in Taiwan, or make fun of people of a lower social and economic status, or the food that people like. If somebody could convinceme that my view is completely warped, I’d be happy.[/quote]Most posters come here to let off steam. Who cares if you’re the bar boo bar boo man or Presidential adviser?

OK. Can I be bar boo bar boo man? Huh? Can I? Can I?

I think I’d prefer the star system like it was back in the oriented.org days and it’s certainly not intrusive. It’s a great way to reward people for saying something worthwhile and proves that quality, not quantity is what counts here. Of course, seeing that someone out there appreciates what you have to say is reward enough.

btw, for those who have voted for my posts or told me at Bien that they liked what I write…

:blush: Shucks y’all…:blush: