New Post Ranking System -- plmkwyt

Gus,

As much as I like the idea of giving feedback for the quality of posts and reflecting that in a “total quality value” for the member, I think it could be open to abuse. At least with Guanxi, there is only a finite amount that each member has (moderators excluded).

In order to increase their respective “total quality values”, two buddies could get together and inflate each other’s ratings without any kind of limit. Of course, moderators could correct that, but there aren’t any real checks to prevent it from occuring in the first place.

Now THAT hurt! :wink:

Aw, Sandman, don’t worry…you’ve got both going for you.
All the better.

:smiley:

You may be onto something good, Imani. I recently took a look at my posts that have been rated by others… and surprise surprise… I can’t see any logic in the system.

My posts in which I merely linked to articles written by other people received high (or at least positive) rankings, while the posts that I wrote myself, which I felt were good (subject to disagreement, of course, but good, IMO) received poor, or negative ratings. Seems like the ranking is just a cheap way of registering disagreement, in many cases.

Now I check to see my +/- ranking, just like a hockey player! :wink:

Still wondering when I can get my G$250…I know you are busy, Gus and it’s seems petty, but if I can’t retain my G Money Orda title could I get my guanxi back so I can see my name in lights, please?

[quote=“scomargo”]How about instead of replacing the traditional titles with the new Rating Titles, you make an additional field to hold the Rating Title.

It might be strange to have two textual titles at the same time, so you could make the Rating Title graphical and keep the traditional title textual.

For instance, use gold stars for the rating titles. Every +5 points is an extra half star, or something like that. I think this system would please most people.[/quote]

Yes, I don’t really get into rating posts that much, usually just the ones I don’t like.

There should be some way to appeal negative post points. My perfectly legit classified post looking for business partners received a zillion negative post points. If you can’t post an ad like that in that classified forums, where would you post it? Just because people don’t understand something doesn’t mean they should shower you with negative post points.

Power without accountability or debate: seems like a rather cowardly way to have the community express its opinion. How about coming up with some more structure around this post points idea? Someone has already pointed out the obvious flaw that you could just sign up under a new account and then give you and your friends lots of post points, unchecked.

While I’m sure that you are legit, your ad could easily be that of a swindler. You offer no details, nor do you offer your full name, your credit history, or anything else. Basically, you have all the credibility of a son of a deposed Nigerian minister of Justice. :wink:
You need to find a way to put more substance into your ad. Otherwise, all of the negative feedbaack is just the forumosa way of saying caveat emptor!

Whilst the post rating system is interesting, and it can be handy in evaluating posts, It’s not a good way to evaluate posters. My rating is -3, does that make me a bad poster ? Especially when that -3 was from a post frowning on illegal activities. I did have some pluses, but that thread seems to have disappeared :? I don’t give negative ratings to posts I disagree with, just ones I find offensive, or I think shouldn’t be on here.
Might help if some people were a big more forthcoming in their praise, come on Sandman, Boss Hogg, does nothing tickle your fancy here ? or I am really a -3 ? Seems that a lot of the ratings are by angry little people who get upset when someone doesn’t approve (I should know, I am one of them), and won’t even admit to it.

Saying that, I do seem to have just broken even somehow.

Far as I know, no-one has rated any of my posts either, but its not something I lose any sleep over. Apart from the little star that appears on the rated post, how can you find out what your own “rating” is, anyway?

Go to your profile and have a look at your posts that have been rated.

Go to your profile, the one that others see, not using the menu at the top. Then click on 'posts by sandman that have been rated" and you will see that A LOT of your posts have been rated. First you can have a warm a fuzzy feeling because everyone loves you, then feel guity when you realise it’s not mutual :cry: (there’s no “posts that have been rated by sandman” button)

What if Neo becomes a reformed character and never makes a posts about investments again, he still will still have those black marks against him (I did tone down my rating after he made better posts). But on the other hand, maybe he deserves it forever, have you see ‘Matrix Reloaded’ ?

What if 2 buddies rate each other posts highly, not enough to raise suspicion, just enough to raise ratings a little. Or if Bu En Lai rated Sir Donald Bradman’s posts, assuming you didn’t know they are the same person. One person can drive another person’s rating through the roof, or indeed the floor. To much opportunty for abuse…

Well, I just checked my own profile and surprise surprise, people have rated some of my posts – positively! :shock:

However, I see a major flaw in the system, as at the bottom of the list I note a rolling-eyes rating for my coffee enema post, which is, if I may say so, one of the best, most erudite posts on the entire forum.

Shouldn’t you be able to know who rated you? That way you could reward the intellectuals that gave you good marks and hunt down like dogs the idiots that gave you negative ratings.

I don’t want to rehash why I didn’t post details in my ad, since I think I’ve already stated my reasons clearly (and they have been completely unrebutted so far I might add). People who want me to post the details of my investments are simply not serious about investing. I did not post the ad for entertainment sake, I posted to FIND serious investors. To those who entertainment I have failed to provide for, my apologies. Anyone serious about making money would see the interest rate I am offering and that alone would be enough to contact me for details, as a number of people have. The details have been available since day one, just not to the entire world. Whether I seem credible to someone who has no money to invest is irrelevant. My credibility with someone who does have money and is thinking of ways to improve their returns IS relevant, and they can decide for themselves through direct contact with me at which point proprietary details are shared.

Maybe a ebay-like system would make more sense, where the rater is named, and there is a line for comments explaining you rationale, and the original poster would have a chance to respond.

Why is Omni-talkalot a laoban like me when he has like half the posts and guanxi, goddamit!
I’m like a billion times smarter than he is, a gazillion times more intellegent than him and about a quadrillion-zillion times more brilliant.
What gives? Is it because he wears a suit and I don’t? Is that it?
:smiling_imp: :imp: :cry: :? :slight_smile: :smiley:

Wolf_r’s got a pretty good point here…the main problem I see is that after everyone starts getting a few of their posts rated, the ratings titles will eventually become dominant throughout under the current system and few people will have post titles. (As I understand it from Gus’s post at the top, ratings titles automatically override post titles.)

So maybe there should only be one consistent set of titles from top to bottom, with post ratings factored in as some sort of productivity PremiumOrDiscount, e.g. title = # of posts * (1 + post ratings PremiumOrDiscount). This would seem to account for contributions a little better.

Alternatively, post ratings could be a simple added credit your post count. If your net post ratings is X (e.g. 20), then maybe you just get credit for X or 2X (e.g. 20 or 40) extra posts, which gets you to the next title level that much quicker.

Well, I’m sure the admins/mods will work the kinks out of these titles as we give them more feedback. They’re a great bunch, from what I can tell so far, and are working to make this a fair yet open system.

How about just getting rid of the anonymity option on post ratings. I think people will be more responsible raters if their “names” are attached.

Plus, as soon as I can see all the names, I’m going a huntin’ for the anonymous person who dropped kicked a -5 on my ad. Like they say, don’t get mad, get even. Revenge is sweet. Better start watching your back, someone’s got his eye out for you now. Come to papa!!

:smiling_imp: :laughing:

I agree Neo,
This hidden rating stuff is weasel shit. If someone has something to say they should say it directly.

Did a little research…

These links are for my reference, but feel welcome to comment and look for more

Limiting Negative Ratings to Moderators
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=443632#443632

Highest Rated Members still underdevelopment
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=488748#488748

How to reset all the ratings
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=578752#578752

Welsh
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=367347#367347

An entirely different User rating system (more like eBay’s?)
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=495140#495140
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=497185#497185
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=497264#497264 (in English)

Where did my Yushan Souvenir Vendor title go - Now I’m a “lao ban”???