New regulation when applying for a credit card (foreigners)

I was told by my colleagues (foreigners as well) that it is easier to get a AmEx card in comparison with other banks. (local and foreign included) So I got my TW colleague to call in for me to speak Mandarin to their customer service reps and then a nice sales lady from AmEx came to my office, got all my documentation (salary slip, ARC, passport, bank book, other supporting documents) and then I got my card about 2 weeks later. I think it probably helps to have a specific sales person processing your application - cos if it’s successful, it helps towards her sales quota. If you like, I can give you that AmEx sales lady’s number, she speaks OK English.

Still, it’s not Visa or Mastercard and not as widely accepted but it’s something… I still want a Visa/Mastercard and I have tried with Citibank and FirstBank, rejected by both! :raspberry:

Maybe starting out with an AmEx will give you some “credit” to negotiate to get your Visa/Master?

There doesn’t seem to be a ‘definitive’ answer to who qualifies for a credit card and who doesn’t. I got my AmEx in May 2005, just 5 months after arriving in this country. After that I tried to apply for Citibank and Firstbank (which is where my company banks in my monthly salary) after I got my AmEx, and was still rejected by both. The banks will never really give you a concrete reason for rejecting your application. I’m guessing that I need a longer financial ‘track record’ here in TW before they are willing to consider me.

Try opening a large savings account in a bank, and keeping it for a while. Then, once you have this “relationship” with the bank, ask to apply for a credit card. Wear a suit, and trim the hair. If they balk, ask for a low card limit, much lower than your deposits with the bank. Later, ask to raise it. Just a thought.

Second thought. Get a job teaching English to staff at a bank. After a while, explain your predicament to them, and see if they can pull some strings.

I got my card through bank-related guanxi. Perhaps others should try the same. Best of luck!

One could use a ‘home country credit card’ etc.
But then how does one pay e.g. the
monthly bill? There are pros and cons of paying
On line.
Or, send money to a trusted
friend in the home country to pay for the card (if the card bill
is sent to an address in the home country). Or, try not to use ‘credit.’
Or, use ‘debit cards.’
PS If you use a local card, how do you pay for the monthly bills?

The Central Bank has announced amendments to its foreign exchange regulations that lift restrictions on credit and and ATM cards for foreigners. Banks are now allowed to issue credit cards to foreigners with ARCs regardless of how long the ARCs are valid, and banks do not have to cancel credit and ATM cards if a foreigner’s ARC status has expired.

You do still need to be 20 years old and hold an ARC to apply for a credit card, but the Central Bank is leaving it up to individual banks to decide whom they will issue credit cards to and how much credit they will extend. And if the banks deems you creditworthy, you can keep your cards even if your visa status changes.

Maybe it’s time for a co-branded Forumosa credit card!

money.udn.com/NASApp/bank/bankTi … t_id=79355

If that’s true, then it’s certainly great news.

I have recently been pestered by a sales from Citibank, who wanted me to apply for a credit card. However, my assurances that I could not get it even if I wanted her to have not worked.

Oh well.

Thanks Feiren. That’s great news! I hope the banks are open to accepting foreigners and don’t continue to reject their credit card applications just because they can.

Fubon has an operational English speaking customer service line for their credit card customers. I think you folks should hit up your local Fubon bank for their half-dozen plus credit cards. I like their Amiles card (FF miles on three different airlines).

Dragonbones is close top the mark with his idea, i have had a credit card in my own name for a while, no gurantor either, and i think that my history of the savings account etc with them proved invaluable with them.

My bank is far more friendly towards me now than they were when i first arrived.

There was a very good letter to the editor in today’s China Post newspaper here, editorial page, written by five year expat David Norman in Taipei, explaining just how screwed up the financial services here are for some foreigners. I will take down the long text tomorrow, in case the link does not work yet.

chinapost.com.tw/cp/opinion/letter1.htm#L76

Taiwan’s banking system helping to ruin country’s image

by David Norman.
Letter to Editor:
China Post

Since first arriving in Taiwan in 2000, I have noticed many improvements in the convenience of travel and shopping, as well as whole neighborhoods changing for the better.

However, one area that lags far behind is the banking sector. I now hold five bank accounts, and all but one of the banks is third-world in its service. Add to this the apparent racially discriminatory policies of the Central Bank of China, and the situation seems unlikely to improve soon.

Last week I tried to close my account at one of the banks. I have moved since I first opened the account, to an area across town. In a first-world banking system, I could walk into any branch of the bank, present valid ID and my bankbook or ATM card, and close the account.

But not in technologically-advanced, notebook-computer, TFT-LCD producing Taiwan. Here you have to return to the bank that you opened the account at. Fortunately for me this means “just” forty minutes’ travel each way. What if I had moved to Taipei from Taichung or Kaohsiung?

Next is the issue of credit cards. Teenagers in Ximending have wallets full of credit cards, but try getting one as a foreigner, on a salary of NT$50,000 a month or more, while working for a household name organization, or even for the government of Taiwan. Fat chance. Oh, but foreigners are a flight-risk, say the banks. Really? What percentage of the Taiwanese population hold passports or permanent residence visas from foreign countries and could just as easily zoom off overseas if they decided not to pay their bills, with their multiple credit cards, each with limits of over NT$200,000? I had to threaten to write to the newspapers, highlighting this very policy and naming them, before my bank agreed to give me a card in Taiwan. To their credit, their service has been exemplary ever since, and to mine, I haven’t missed a payment in the 15 months I have had it.

On to the main reason for me writing this letter. Last week I opened a bank account at ICBC, as it is conveniently located near my home, and they do have useful international transfer facilities in currencies other than the big four. My ATM card, which took “only” three days to be readied (it used to take 20 minutes until the authorities decided that, for “convenience”, all cards must be fitted with IC cards), was handed to me along with the statement that it could not be used overseas. I flipped over the card and saw the “Cirrus” and “Maestro” logos on the back.

So why can I not use it overseas if it has these logos? After all, having lived in Taiwan long-term, when I periodically travel abroad, I need to withdraw money earned in Taiwan to pay for my living expenses while on my trip. Apparently because foreigners may not.

Naturally I wanted to know why. The first reason the supervisor suggested was that it was a form of exchange control. The couple of hundred thousand foreigners living in Taiwan cannot access their money on trips overseas so as not to cause wild fluctuations in the currency, but the millions of Taiwanese nationals who travel overseas each year can. Tell me another one.

When I pointed this out, there was a big pow-wow among the office staff before they managed to produce a document they said was from the Central Bank of China, which stated very clearly that foreigners may not be allowed to draw funds from overseas. This did not solve the problem, but did shift responsibility for this bigoted approach.

Furthermore, I learned that foreigners are now not allowed to access their funds once their Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) expires. This is, of course, incidental, as if you are living and working in Taiwan, you should have an ARC, and according to the previously-mentioned policy, foreigners may not access their money from overseas anyway.

The implication, though, is that if you do not have every aspect of your finances squared away before you leave Taiwan for the long-term (and your ARC is canceled), you will be cut off from your own money in your own bank account in Taiwan!

The only reason I can see why this could be a concern is that accounts could be used for money-laundering, but this is certainly not the exclusive preserve of foreigners. Any Taiwanese citizen living overseas on one of those many foreign passports and residence visas could be doing the same.

Most bizarrely of all, these racist regulations are not something being phased out, but indeed, are a recent introduction! Rather than making Taiwan a fairer place, they are tarnishing Taiwan’s already less-than-impressive reputation on the equal rights front.

While I was applying for my account last week, there was another foreigner, clearly a businessman, doing the same. I wonder what he thought of the policy? And what he will tell his company, colleagues and business contacts about the third-worldliness and egocentricity of Taiwan’s banking system?

I will spare you the details of the story of how my traveler’s checks were reported stolen shortly after being purchased from a local bank when they were in fact in my possession all along, and the hours of to-ing and fro-ing that resulted in an attempt to sort that problem out.

The fact is that I, like many other expatriates I have spoken to, am sick of being given the run-around, excuses, and complicated hoops to jump through, for the most basic of services, or to fix mistakes made by the banks. The thing that’s really missing from banking in Taiwan, is what banks should be offering: financial service.

I think the author’s frustration is shared by a lot of people. It is a pity that none of his banks could tell him the rules as they really are now and so he unwittingly perpetuated some misconceptions.

I’m not aware of any rule that says foreigners cannot withdraw money from ATMs abroad. But sometimes we have to ask the bank to switch this facility on; it’s not always on automatically.

It is incorrect that foreigners are not able to access their funds once their ARCs expire. This has never been the case. What has happened in the past though is that ATM/debit/credit cards have been cancelled if the ARC was not renewed, meaning that the only access to funds was with a bank book. The new government rules as described by Feiren:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 042#475042
should hopefully mean that banks will no longer cancel cards on ARC expiry.

The same new rules may mean that more banks will give foreigners credit/debit cards without the need for a guarantor. In fact it has always been possible for foreigners to get these cards, but in general they have been required to get someone to sign as guarantor.

While I agree that Taiwan’s banking sector could provide much better service, Norman’s letter shows just how out of touch many foreigners are in Taiwan.

First of all, the IC chips were added to the cards not for ‘convenience’’ but to make the cards more secure after a wave of ATM card fraud in the last couple of years.

Secondly, the Central Bank has lifted the restrictions on ATM cards and credit cards for foreigners as I posted earlier.

Third, there are two very obvious reasons for why Taiwan’s banks have such terrible service: they were mostly government-run until very recently and foreigners constitute a very, very small market that costs lots of money to service.

Taiwan just isn’t that internationalized in the sense that Norman expects. Nor is most of the population committed to the kind of internationalization that would make people like Norman feel more comfortable.

When did the rules on foreigners not being able to access their money overseas kick into effect?

I accessed my money in a Danish ATM on January 3, 2006 without any problems whatsoever. It even recognized the chip. I use CHB, when asked fi I cound access my money overseas, the staff looked at the computer, keyed a bit and said “Yes”. They were right.

Aren’t only non-residents subject to the no-wthdrawal from abroad rule?

[quote=“Mr He”]When did the rules on foreigners not being able to access their money overseas kick into effect?

I accessed my money in a Danish ATM on January 3, 2006 without any problems whatsoever. It even recognized the chip. I use CHB, when asked fi I cound access my money overseas, the staff looked at the computer, keyed a bit and said “Yes”. They were right.[/quote]

Some banks issue cash cards in the form of VISA credit cards that can be used in Taiwan only. As credit cards, but the money is deducted immediately from your bank account. That same day. So it is really not a credit card but more of an ATM card. It CAN be used overseas, but you must notify the bank before you go abroad that you want to use the overseas service, and then they will key in the right info to your account and you can use the card overseas. But when you return to Taiwan, you must then once again the usage to domestic use.

[quote=“Feiren”]The Central Bank has announced amendments to its foreign exchange regulations that lift restrictions on credit and and ATM cards for foreigners. Banks are now allowed to issue credit cards to foreigners with ARCs regardless of how long the ARCs are valid, and banks do not have to cancel credit and ATM cards if a foreigner’s ARC status has expired.

You do still need to be 20 years old and hold an ARC to apply for a credit card, but the Central Bank is leaving it up to individual banks to decide whom they will issue credit cards to and how much credit they will extend. And if the banks deems you creditworthy, you can keep your cards even if your visa status changes.

Maybe it’s time for a co-branded Forumosa credit card!

money.udn.com/NASApp/bank/bankTi … t_id=79355[/quote]

And just to amplify Feiren’s comments, here is the link to the press release from the CBC if your bank has a wee problem with that. cbc.gov.tw/secretariant/rele … sp?no=3536

The relevant bit is at the bottom: 四、 基於外匯自由化及銀行業對其發卡對象、信用額度及業務風險,應由銀行業自行考量,對外國自然人申請國際信用卡、金融卡及轉帳卡所憑外僑居留證及所發各卡之有效期限,均不另作限制。

Obviously the banks won’t pay any attention to this as the ones that like foreigners are already giving out cards and full service ATM cards, and the ones that don’t like foreigners (like my bank, China Trust) don’t. But the point is at least now it’s not government-mandated.

Interestingly, or not, I’m having a fight with American Express who tell me that my wife can’t have a supplementary card because AMEX Taiwan has stopped issuing credit cards. How about that? Amex has gone tits up. Well done lads. Sterling effort. Shamefully, the woman on the phone tried some line about “new government policy” as if giving my wife a card on my account could possibly be relevant to government policy on credit cards, even if there was one.

Regarding the new IC cards for the ATM machines, first bank explained the local vs. overseas withdrawal thing to me: Your card has two PIN numbers. The IC pin is 6 numbers and you use that in Taiwan. The other one (forgot the English name, it is the four-digit one you could change when you got your card, along with the six-digit IC no.) is for overseas withdrawals, as machines overseas don’t use 6 digits.

I’m glad that was explained to me because otherwise I would have thrown away my new password sheet without paying attention to the four-digit PIN…