New Regulations for getting teachers

DB,

I suggest I merge with your post, I can’t find it.

Yes, it’s true. The whole of Taiwan must send applications for new teachers to Taipei. The paper work is a mountain and it’s not easy anymore. F#@ it. Hardly any schools have got their teachers approved recently and the entire process could take a #@$ month. That sucks.

The good thing is that everyone gets Med insurance and Lao bao, if not, no teacher. You have to prove that you need the teacher.

The bad thing is that it’s all decided by some prick in Taipei.

My advice for teachers out there that want to come to Taiwan to teach. Apply before you come. Damn it. The chances of being refused are really very high.

How do we know? We just got off the phone with Taipei. I am :imp: :imp: :imp: fuming. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

The paper work alone is going to put so many people off getting a foreign teacher.

Shite!

Yep, it is a major pain in the ass…made even more so by not informing us earlier.

I sit still the MOE doing it though?

Brian

It’s going through so many #@# hands that I don’t think that they even know who is doing it. Try this on for size, you need the MoE, the CLA, and the tax bunnies. Lao bao and Jian bao.

You can also bet your ass that all those idiots with fake degrees are going to get refused the next time they try to renew.

I can think of several cram schools that won’t make the grade now and should think about closing the doors really soon.

I may become in huge demand over the next few months, no need to ever apply to those pricks. Hey, this may lead to great benefits for those of us with JFRV’s. The down side is we are few and far between.

I predict less foreign teachers in Taiwan and those who can get in may have a whole new game to play.

Does this mean that the rules of supply and demand are going to really kick in and wages will sky rocket OR more schools are going to go underground and get “students” to teach.

Shite, my school can apply for up to 20 teachers but for No. 3 it’s going to be a real pain in the ass.

I didn’t make the call to Taipei myself, “we” did, I listened in when it became clear that something was up. Then I got the paper work - oh shite. You must show very clearly how the teacher is required by your school and you can bet that if you already have 2 you’d better have timetables at the ready.

Like I said, only a handful have been accepted from the huge number of applications.

MoE - Morons on E

Bassman,

I can’t find the courage the merge this with my rant in the Visa forum. I don’t know if I could hold myself back from renaming the thread “A Bunch of Fucking Bullshit.”

The guys in Taichung county said “Same thing - different place”
Do you buy that?

However, I should still be able to get things done in time to avoid visa runs, but not if a medical check was required. I am lucky this time, the med check was already done.

Everything you ever wanted and more. Including application forms and flow charts. All in Chinese as no translation is yet available.

evta.gov.tw/foreign/foreign.htm

Hey Bassman,

We might even be forced to start hiring local teachers. Mmmmm…I love the smell of cutting costs. :smiley:

Wow, they really seem to be putting the screws on teachers rather than foreigners in general. Why do they seem to hate foreign teachers so much?

I got caught up in this rigmarole too. My ARC expired at the end of Jan., and I had to get an extension of a month because the former work permit issuer (the GIO) had to hand over all the stuff to this new group that now does all work permits, including teachers. However, the new organization was pretty quick, considering, and I got my new work permit this afternoon – actually less than two weeks late and in plenty of time to renew my ARC before the extension expires. No extra muss, no fuss apart from an extra trip to the FAP.

Still, the panic from reading these boards pushed me into finally shitting into a bottle and getting a marriage visa.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Hey Bassman,

We might even be forced to start hiring local teachers. Mmmmm…I love the smell of cutting costs. :smiley:[/quote]

Hmmm…from what it sounds like, my school may end up as the only one in the area WITH a native speaker as a teacher :shock: . Problem is, we are at capacity, how the heck does one expand in that case?

Must be nice. I’ve been working for them for over a year and they apparently refuse to issue me an Article 51 (you know, the handy-dandy no-skin-off-your-nose-Mr.-Employer work permit). :imp:

Came as a shock to me too! Got a letter informing us that all foreign worker applications go through Taipei. No more friendly favors, pushing through the paperwork, moving it up to the top of the pile…Yikes! Has anyone in Taichung area successfully completed an application through Taipei? I’m in the process of renewing one of our teachers so I’ll let you know how that goes…

These regulations don’t just appear out of nowhere… wonder what instigated this.

Wonder what the point is… why does the MOE here in Taipei insist on controlling everything in Education? It won’t make the system any better.

has this got anything to do with teaching qualifications that were proposed?

Actually, I taught in a University before and all applications had to go through Taipei MOE. Why? I don’t know, but it wasn’t a problem.

Kenneth

Before if you wanted to hire a Canadian or any other non Taiwanese teacher legitimately you needed to apply to the MOE for the work permit. This was done on a local level.

Now if you wanted to hire a Canadian teacher or any other non Taiwanese legitimately you need to apply to the Taipei MOE. Is this correct?

What do you think is the motivation behind this shift in policy?

Does this have anything to do with the MOE transfering responsibility for work permits to the Labour Ministry?

Very curious about what is up.

Hans

Do these regulations just apply to Taipei or the whole of Taiwan?

Can we expect a short-term crackdown or is this for the long-term?

What is the reasoning behind these “new regulations” and how are they fundamentally different than what we had before?

This is enforced through the whole of Taiwan.
It’s not too much different from before. Takes a little longer.
It will shut out many of those cowboy cram schools from getting teachers, these are the same schools that wouldn’t give teachers everything they are legally entitled to. That could be good for teachers. It will stop many schools from being able to farm out teachers to kindergartens, perhaps lowering possible incomes for teachers in the short term.
This is all about the CLA involvement. The application forms are on the CLA website.
It may mean there will be one standard for the whole island.

Gosh, this sounds like I like the situation. I don’t. However, if it puts everything on a level playing field it may get my support. If only the assholes has told us earlier.

Time will tell.

Keep in mind the same interests that enjoyed the benefits of the old system will be enforcing the new one. Things may change in Taipei, but I suspect legal or otherwise, it’ll be business as usually after a few months. The mayor of Jhongli owns one of the largest “English” kindies in Taoyuan County - Do you really think his school will go without foreign teachers?

Everything changes but nothing changes.