New resturant near Guting - "Sunday Brunch"

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to share some information about a western-style restaurant near the Guting MRT. It just opened about a month ago, so the menu is still expanding. At the moment, the best thing on the menu is the burgers! They even have a huge double burger if you’re feeling extra hungry. The regular burgers are about $180 and totally worth it. The owner is really sweet, and speaks really good English if you’re feeling chatty. She assured me that they’re planning to add eggs benedict to the menu soon, woo hoo!

Anyway, the place is near Guting exit 2, on the corner of Tongan St and Nanchang Rd. Basically, get out at exit 2, and turn around. At the first street turn left (you’ll see a sewing store right in front of you), at the next intersection turn right and it’s right there (next to a 7-11 and little Japanese candy store).

I like the name. Do they know what a ‘brunch’ is?

Let me guess – they’ll also do waffles and a full English, possibly a continental.
Why oh WHY can’t someone show a bit of originality rather than just copying Carnegies, the Diner, etc. etc.
How about chilaquiles, some nice huevos rancheros, kedgeree. You know? A spark of creativity, just a spark. We have plenty of very very good and well-established brunch options already. Let’s see some ORIGINALITY!

Let me guess – they’ll also do waffles and a full English, possibly a continental.
Why oh WHY can’t someone show a bit of originality rather than just copying Carnegies, the Diner, etc. etc.
How about chilaquiles, some nice huevos rancheros, kedgeree. You know? A spark of creativity, just a spark. We have plenty of very very good and well-established brunch options already. Let’s see some ORIGINALITY![/quote]

Grumpy old man. There was a time you would quiver in your kilt at the thought of such fare being widely available in Taipei. :laughing:

Well, their master plan, according to the owner, is to have breakfast items available all day, but the menu is still a work in progress. I guess they just like the name :slight_smile:

I like having a nice burger place closer to home though.

Ach, you know how it is, Sebastian. I’ve become jaded. I would quiver for a dish of chilaquiles for brekkie, though. Washed down with a couple of shots of Patron.
Breakfast of champions!

I’ve eaten there. Food was… meh, alright. Staff’s very eager to please.

I had the pasta, which won’t keep me from going to Cello. And I don’t think the burgers will keep me from Forkers or KGB. They’re definitely trying, and certainly inexpensive, so I might pop in to try it again if I’m in the neighbourhood.

If their enthusiasm comes through in the preparation, they’ll do alright.

Soft. The word is soft, Lance.

I don’t think so.

I ate there this past Sunday dinner and I was underwhelmed. I had a pasta dish that was above average, but by the exceedingly lenient standards of Taiwanese Italian food. The wait for the food was FAR too long, though. Also, they’re not open until 11:30AM, so I have no idea why they’re calling it Sunday brunch. It has potential, I guess, but I’ll wait a few more months for them to work things out in the kitchen.

More burgers… the old Taiwanese copy the neighbour phenomenon. There’s a lot more to ‘foreigner food’ than burgers and fries…even for Americans!

No, you must be wrong. People from America only eat hamburgers and fried chicken.

:laughing:

:wink: :wink:

I admit that I’ve never had that and had to look it up. But that is why you are the master. Now I want it too.

:thumbsup:

This version is what I want:
Green, red and mole salsa are poured over separate parts of the crispy tortilla triangles. The mixture is simmered until the tortilla starts softening. Sunny side up fried eggs and pulled chicken are added to the mix. The dish is topped with queso fresco and sour cream and it is served with refried beans and a (few or several) BIG BEER(s).

Now I can’t sleep because I’m so hungry for something good to eat. :raspberry:

We used to mix the sour cream with the salsas in the restaurant in which I was head chef. We used to do a red, green and “white” salsa (using tomatillos and yellow tomatoes) and would make a tricolour chilaquiles. No eggs, though. Damn, they were good. We ate them for more than a year before we put them on the menu – friends and family only! And STRICTLY breakfast food. With tequila, not beer.

Now you are just being mean. Kick a man while he is down is just …

I’m going to come over there and do more than slap you for that!

Well, I must take back my recommendation… Over the Dragon Boat festival weekend, the owner decided that the restaurant wasn’t making enough money, so they have changed into a regular chinese food place, athough they kept the name and all the posters in the front with pictures of burgers and fries. Oh well, guess it’s back to Evans for me.