New road test rules: Open door slowly

As of July 1, you have to open the car door slowly in a “two-section” manner as if being cautious of oncoming vehicles.

libertytimes.com.tw/2013/new … day-t2.htm

Honestly, if someone can pass the S-backwards part and then fails for this, I’m at a loss for words.

Also of passing interest: You’ll get points off for not using a turn signal (duh) or failing to look before turning, and for using your left foot to brake.

Sounds good indeed. People here open the door without being aware of anything. They just don’t care, it’s so curious. Also I’m missing a bit of more direction lights use… the good side of this is that I’m becoming a mind reader myself.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]As of July 1, you have to open the car door slowly in a “two-section” manner as if being cautious of oncoming vehicles.

Honestly, if someone can pass the S-backwards part and then fails for this, I’m at a loss for words.

[/quote]

Isn’t that ass-backwards, (in at least two senses)?

People have been know to use their left foot for braking a lot in Taipei. That why their rear stop lights are almost always on, even when they’re speeding up.

Who the Hell can be such an idiot to brake with their left foot and not see/feel there is a problem with that?

Seems this topic hearkens back to my MS degree where we lived with several kids in family housing Wash. St. Uni. We called it “park by bump” Back in and bump. Pull forward until bump. Repeat until your car is at least 2 feet from the curb and "YA! Ya got it. sigh.

sometimes when the wind is unexpectedly strong, the door just flies open anyway.

people here don’t look at anything except what they’re doing. opening car doors is just one example. it won’t change a thing. SNAFU

Just a turn signal, eh? I’ve noticed people are using them more often, but as usual, they think it’s just some new-fangled silly law that they have to comply with, without actually grasping the point. For example, I’ve seen loads of people turn on the left indicator when turning right onto a main road, on the basis (I suppose) that the people on the main road approaching from (their) left wouldn’t be able to see the right-hand one … unaware that in this scenario, the indicator is for the benefit of those behind. Or possibly they just figure that, hey, at least I turned on a turn signal. What more do you want?

Just a turn signal, eh? I’ve noticed people are using them more often, but as usual, they think it’s just some new-fangled silly law that they have to comply with, without actually grasping the point. For example, I’ve seen loads of people turn on the left indicator when turning right onto a main road, on the basis (I suppose) that the people on the main road approaching from (their) left wouldn’t be able to see the right-hand one … unaware that in this scenario, the indicator is for the benefit of those behind. Or possibly they just figure that, hey, at least I turned on a turn signal. What more do you want?[/quote]

My favorite (or least) is when they use the right turn signal and do a U-turn from the shoulder.

I can honestly say that I haven’t noticed anyone not checking before opening their door before. I didn’t think it was such a big issue, and I can think of a lot of criticisms I could otherwise come up with. Opening doors too quickly wouldn’t be one of them.

Not to come up with a single example and pretend ot establishes a rule, but I have a friend who almost lost a leg to an accident caused by an idiot who could not bother checking for incoming scooters before slamming his car door open. I personally see it happen very often and is one of the main reasons why I almost never drive on the right lane.

[quote=“Novaspes”]People have been know to use their left foot for braking a lot in Taipei. That why their rear stop lights are almost always on, even when they’re speeding up.

Who the Hell can be such an idiot to brake with their left foot and not see/feel there is a problem with that?[/quote]

Strangely,People pay me to teach them how to “left foot brake” in Race and Rally cars. :ponder: However, using that method in an Automatic car would be of no benefit.I do enjoy Left foot braking,when someone is Tailgating on the Freeway. I think I like seeing the front of their car dip down,when they panic brake. Unfortunately most of the time they don’t get the message and continue to drive far too close to the vehicle ahead. :unamused:

[quote=“Novaspes”]People have been know to use their left foot for braking a lot in Taipei. That why their rear stop lights are almost always on, even when they’re speeding up.

Who the Hell can be such an idiot to brake with their left foot and not see/feel there is a problem with that?[/quote]

Just so you know, most Americans drive automatics and the vast majority brake with their left foot. I am one of those that do not. But that is because my usual ride is a stick shift.

Of course, people should not brake with the left foot while the right foot is on the gas, buts another thing.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Novaspes”]People have been know to use their left foot for braking a lot in Taipei. That why their rear stop lights are almost always on, even when they’re speeding up.

Just so you know, most Americans drive automatics and the vast majority brake with their left foot. [/quote]

You can’t be serious. Either they’re all ambidextrous or it does not make sense! :o

Seriously true !

…________
…,.-'"…~., .............................,.-"..................................."-., .........................,/...............................................":, .....................,?......................................................, .................../...........................................................,} ................./......................................................,:`^`..} .............../...................................................,:"........./ ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../ ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../ .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/ ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....} ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../ ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../ ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-" ............/.`~,......`-...................................../ .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__ ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-, .....`=~-,__......`,................................. ...................`=~-,,.,............................... ................................`:,,...........................`..............__ .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==
,-%…`
…,

I know ! The first few times I did that I came to a screeching halt as my left foot is used to using the clutch, since I drive a manual.

But once you get used to it, it makes a lot of sense! My brother does NOT know how to even drive a stick shift (and many Americans are the same) because he has always used his left foot for the brake. So does everyone else on my American side of the family and all of our friends !

[quote=“tommy525”]I know ! The first few times I did that I came to a screeching halt as my left foot is used to using the clutch, since I drive a manual.

But once you get used to it, it makes a lot of sense! My brother does NOT know how to even drive a stick shift (and many Americans are the same) because he has always used his left foot for the brake. So does everyone else on my American side of the family and all of our friends ![/quote]

How is it possible to have the same sensitivity and accuracy in applying gradual and controlled pressure to the brake pedal using the left foot as one has with the right???

[quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“tommy525”]I know ! The first few times I did that I came to a screeching halt as my left foot is used to using the clutch, since I drive a manual.

But once you get used to it, it makes a lot of sense! My brother does NOT know how to even drive a stick shift (and many Americans are the same) because he has always used his left foot for the brake. So does everyone else on my American side of the family and all of our friends ![/quote]

How is it possible to have the same sensitivity and accuracy in applying gradual and controlled pressure to the brake pedal using the left foot as one has with the right???[/quote]

With practice you can do it very well ! But you will lose your ability to drive a stick shift possibly.

Sort of like learning Mandarin. Once you are good at Mandarin you will find that your original language is now fcuked up . :slight_smile:

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“tommy525”]I know ! The first few times I did that I came to a screeching halt as my left foot is used to using the clutch, since I drive a manual.

How is it possible to have the same sensitivity and accuracy in applying gradual and controlled pressure to the brake pedal using the left foot as one has with the right???[/quote]

With practice you can do it very well ! But you will lose your ability to drive a stick shift possibly.

Sort of like learning Mandarin. Once you are good at Mandarin you will find that your original language is now fcuked up . :slight_smile:[/quote]

I still don’t get it. Why would anyone learn something that is useless, potentially dangerous and hinders your ability to ever drive a manual shift car? O_o