New Scooter License Test

Hey, I’ve heard that as of July 1st, they’ve changed the practical test for getting a scooter license and made it a lot harder. Can anyone confirm this, and does anyone know what the new test is like?

Well “a lot harder” from “not hard at all” could still be pretty easy.

You still ride the same test circuit, but now you have to do it twice.

After the first time round, they make you sit down and chew betel nut for 15 mins, then wait out a further 10 mins before you go round again.
2nd time around, that section where you have to travel 30m in more than 7 secs seems to be catching a lot of people out.

They should make a new law to retest people from 60 to 70 years old and then remove the license after 70 … maybe give them the electric wheel chair that they use to go shopping…

[quote=“Nuit”]You still ride the same test circuit, but now you have to do it twice.

After the first time round, they make you sit down and chew betel nut for 15 mins[/quote]

The betel nut comment made me laugh out loud. Hilarious. :roflmao:

Guess nobody is too worried about it haha

I’d be curious to know what they’re going to do, but it doesn’t seem that anyone knows. Many people drive here with just an international license. Took me a few years to get around to taking the test. Novaspes isn’t far off the mark though - the test is really very easy and it wouldn’t be hard to up the difficulty. Suggest you just go down to the local testing centre and compare the layout with what’s currently on youtube.

I’d be curious to know what they’re going to do, but it doesn’t seem that anyone knows. Many people drive here with just an international license. Took me a few years to get around to taking the test. Novaspes isn’t far off the mark though - the test is really very easy and it wouldn’t be hard to up the difficulty. Suggest you just go down to the local testing centre and compare the layout with what’s currently on youtube.[/quote]

I took me a few years to get around to getting a license too. And I’m glad I waited. I tried taking it on one of their scooters and failed miserably. I came back later on my own motorcycle and passed it, no problem. Both times, I saw a lot of other people fail it too, much to the amusement of the gruff, tea-drinking uncles running the show.

It took me 7 years to do it, hahaha. I have been pulled over a few times since and still have never shown it. Ridiculous, ok you are a foreigner…see ya!! I basically got it because some day I will probably buy a bike bike and you need to have a scooter license for over a year before you can get a big bike license. The test is so hilarious. I didn’t even do a practice run. The test operator couldn’t believe it. It is just balancing. That is it, so I hope they are changing the test because bet I could do the test drunk.

I still don’t have a care license, and I know that isn’t great. I got into small car accident a year ago. I showed the cop my American license, Taiwanese scooter license and APRC and he said ok, no problem. Still so ridiculous. Gotta love the Wan!

I’ve read some mixed reports about needing to get a medical check at the hospital before getting your license too.

Can anyone shed some light on that?

The medical check isn’t much more than an eye test IIRC.

But you have to go to the hospital before going to the scooter testing place?

When I took the test, I just had to go to some office they had for this purpose, within the same building. It was quick.

[quote=“backpacker24”]I’ve read some mixed reports about needing to get a medical check at the hospital before getting your license too.

Can anyone shed some light on that?[/quote]

In what way? Every DMV will have a clinic next door for the medical check. It is just an eye test, color blind test (I’m colorblind and I still passed) and height and weight. I don’t remember doing anything else. Super easy and took about 5 min. Then back over to the DMV.

You forgot you need to show to have

1. all of you fingers and toes
  2. both arms
  3. both legs
  4. the ability to squat and get up

I am not joking.