New Shida Bulletin Boards

Isn’t it great to see all the new bulletin boards that have been put up at the Mandarin Training Center (I counted 5 – 3 downstairs, 2 big ones up on the 7th floor).

In this instances, I guess it goes to show that if you can’t beat’em (people who read and post to the bulletin boards), support’em!

Gus, just curious. Why would you want to “beat” the people using the boards to begin with? Did you prefer that they stick their notices on your forehead or something? I don’t quite understand your reference.

This is exactly my point. In the recent past, people would stick notices up on the marble walls of the lobby. No matter how often these were ripped down, as soon as the same day, posters would appear and re-appear.

By installing bulletin boards, building management is saying, “we recognize the value/service of a putting up notices in high traffic areas; we won’t fight you (the masses, the market), we just don’t want you to deface our nice marble walls… anymore”.

I’ve posted and searched the “boards at Shih Ta” for as long as I’ve been here, and they are distinguished as being boards which do not require office “approval.” If you want to over-analyze it, this is a small example of capitalism at work – supply/demand, customers and suppliers interacting to changing needs to drive the market. I’ve heard many complaints about “Taiwanese authorities” (gov’t, school, bosses, roommates even) being conservative, old-line thinking control freaks. It’s nice to see policy following the people for a change, huh?

Gus, those nice bulletin boards are great. Now that we are on the topic, why don’t you get four-color mini banners for ORIENTED up there? In fact, what you should do is secretly go into the computer room an change the default home page on all the browsers to ORIENTED! (insert evil laugh here). Or, if you really wanted to be annoying, you could change the desktop background on all computers to an “oriented.org” picture. Let’s hope they don’t have configuration control software running …

[quote=“Anonymous”]Gus, those nice bulletin boards are great. Now that we are on the topic, why don’t you get four-color mini banners for ORIENTED up there? In fact, what you should do is secretly go into the computer room an change the default home page on all the browsers to ORIENTED! (insert evil laugh here). Or, if you really wanted to be annoying, you could change the desktop background on all computers to an “oriented.org” picture. Let’s hope they don’t have configuration control software running …
[/quote]

Alls swell 'n fun when you’re young. :slight_smile:

Wonder if they went through with that plan?

love your avatar Jeepers.