New "smart" ARCs

PARC’s don’t expire…[/quote]

Sure, I know that, but what I mean is that I’m looking to apply for a PARC once my 5 years of residence as a foreign spouse arrives. Since I have been working mostly freelance, would I have to offer explanations as to how I’ve been surviving these past few years or can I, as Belgian Pie suggested, just have my wife include me as a dependent when she applies for my PARC on my behalf?

Thanks.

Sammy.[/quote]

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I do know that being listed as a dependent on your wife’s income tax won’t wash; they’ll ask you to provide detailed listings from the tax office stating the origins of your combined incomes on your statements for the past 3 years. They do this precisely to see if you, not you and your wife are making double the quoted minimum wage from Labor Affairs. The parts that Feiren quoted about checking your tax records to see if you have sources of income outside of the scope of your work permit doesn’t apply to you since you are, I assume, currently on a JFRV.

The good news is, that as a spouse of an ROC citizen, you can qualify by showing the following:
The applicant’s accumulated savings in a ROC financial institution must be 24 times that of the monthly minimum wage set by the Council of Labor Affairs, Executive Yuan (only pertinent to applicants who are spouses of ROC nationals).
Found here: iff.immigration.gov.tw/enfront/l … d=2&id=230

And, Sandman, the work permit takes 5 minutes to apply for once you have your PARC; it’s actually very easy.[/quote]

Thanks. It’s becoming clearer now. So, the next thing is this,
#1: I have only recently begun working at (just shy of a year) at a big chain school and have thus only recently been registered for tax with an accredited buxiban, however, I have worked for another buxiban that did not register my particulars with the appropriate authorities. This concerned me as I do not have any wish to act above the law. However, I was told by a certain local resident that the onus is on the employer to do the necessary paperwork regarding taxes, and that if the employer does not fulfil their obligation in this regard, then it is they, and not the employee that will bear the responsibility for this in the event of an investigation. Is this accurate?

#2: How does one go about dealing with this situation with regards to (erratic) income received?
#3 : Should I wait until three years have passed from the time of paying my first taxes until I apply for a PARC?
#4 : “The applicant’s accumulated savings in a ROC financial institution must be 24 times that of the monthly minimum wage set by the Council of Labor Affairs, Executive Yuan (only pertinent to applicants who are spouses of ROC nationals).”…Is there a minimum amount of time that these funds will have to have been in the account?

Thanks again to anyone who can assist.

1. It could be argued that you bear a share of the responsibility there.

2. The tax forms required for application of a PARC obviously only show declared income, since they come for the National Tax Administration office.

3. Not necessarily. They will require you to give documentation from the NTA that details both your and your wife’s income and tax paid over the last 3 years. Since you are applying based on marriage, the ‘double the minimum wage’ criterium doesn’t apply to you as it would to someone applying based on employment; they will just be looking to see that you have filed over the past 3 years. If I were you though, I’d be expecting to be asked what you have been up to, though!

4. They require a bank statement less than a month old that states your current holdings. There is nothing on the statement other than your identification details, account number and the amount you hold at the time of issue of the statement.

MS, it sounds as though your case is a little complicated. Your wife can easily give the NIA a call with the details of your situation and find out if they think you are eligible. Each case is different, so it’s difficult to give you accurate answers beyond what the NIA website details and my own experience.

BTW, you have been married for 5 years, haven’t you?

Good luck!

Thanks Citizen K. You’ve been most helpful.
No, I haven’t quite been married 5 years.

[quote=“MustangSammy”]Thanks Citizen K. You’ve been most helpful.
No, I haven’t quite been married 5 years.[/quote]

No problem. My experience was that the people at the NIA were informative and helpful. There are a lot of documents that you will need to prepare to proceed with your application, so have a look at that website I mentioned earlier and familiarize yourself with the requirements. It may seem complicated, but it’s actually quite easy, if you cover all the details.

Good luck!

There are still one or two things that I’m unclear on. In order to marry my local wife, I needed to obtain a Criminal Record Clearance certificate from my country. Will I need to repeat this whole process again when applying for my PARC next year?
The same goes for the required medical examination. I’ve already gone through this process. Do I need to repeat it all over again?

[quote=“MustangSammy”]There are still one or two things that I’m unclear on. In order to marry my local wife, I needed to obtain a Criminal Record Clearance certificate from my country. Will I need to repeat this whole process again when applying for my PARC next year?
The same goes for the required medical examination. I’ve already gone through this process. Do I need to repeat it all over again?[/quote]

Yup and yup. You’ll need a TW Criminal Record Clearance certificate, too. It’s all in that link I posted above.

OK, thanks Citizen K!

When applying for a PARC/APRC what are the financial requirements you need to meet if you are unmarried? Do you ned to show proof of 5 million plus NTD worth of assets? (…accumulated real estate and liquid assets must be valued at over NT$5 million.)

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“sandman”]Right. There is that aspect, I suppose. Every 10 years instead of every three. Offset, though, by the minimum annual residency requirement that PARC-ers are burdened with, plus the need to get a work permit.
Swings and roundabouts, I guess. I’m in no hurry, though.[/quote]

One reason to get the PARC, if you can, is that the immigration authorities are constantly dreaming up new ways to prevent people who have met the requirements from getting them. For example, it is still very common for people to be denied if there is a ‘gap’ in there seven years caused by switching from one ARC to another, even if they gap is for just one day. And now they ask for your income records at the tax office to discover whether you have ever received income without a work permit. If you have, they say they will deport you.

[color=#FF0000]But Sandy is comparing it to a JFRV, you don’t need any work permits, tax reciepts, hell, you don’t even need to have a job or income requirements as long as your wife is willing to support you.[/color]

Given this determination to deny legitimate applicants by hook or by crook, I say get the PARC now while you can. I for one would not to test the two year rule you mentioned. I don’t think anyone has, and I would not count on getting one this way in a pinch.

Better to have it and then give it up if you needed to live abroad for longer than than the required period. Remember that you can always apply for ‘leave’ on your PARC if you need to be out of Taiwan for an extended period to care for a parent, receive medical treatment, or study. Besides, they could drop or shorten the residence period when the law is amended the next time. I hear that the immigrant spouse advocacy groups are already working on this because the current rule burdens poor women from southeast Asia.

Maximize your residency rights as soon as you can![/quote]

Either that or have documented proof that your annual income is twice the national standard for minimum wage.