New Survey: Countries Taiwanese like and hate the most (Drumroll...)

I’m surprised to see the Philippines so high on the list. I believe that there is a little looking down on the nation here, but didn’t know that there was any kind of animosity (it seems they used “like” and “negative feelings” so maybe “animosity” is a bit strong).

And also Korea! I can understand that there could be some “negative feelings” because of the competition between the two countries over the years. But the soap operas and music and restaurants all over the place, and all the travel to the country in the last few years. Didn’t expect that at all.

And the US so high on the “like” list. Probably not too many countries where that happens anymore.

Total BS.
All the Taiwanese I know (and am related to, and live with, etc) hate Japan, both for historical transgressions and recent ass-kissing of the US, who they also hate.
And they are more and more fond of China with every passing month.
For basically the same reasons.

Your average Taiwaneser just doesn’t have the same built-in hatred and distrust of autocrats as most Westerners do.
For example, I’ve never heard a local person (a real local person, not some agenda driven windsucker on the news) really have any problem with Duerte.

I can certainly believe your family members have that attitude.
More than likely they are the some of the outliers, which is neither wrong nor right (unless there are surveys I have not seen that support this).

Most surveys of Taiwanese would not agree with “more and more fond of China with every passing month”. More like the opposite.

But again, I do believe what you state about your family members.

I agree. I do these types of informal surveys with my adult clients. The folks who are the most adamantly pro-Simplified China have some connection over there be it business, family or star f*cking. Old soldiers are the most anti-Japan. People love Canada because, Roots. U.S. is still the promised land. Anti-Philippines because they don’t trust their care-givers. Singapore because, rich.

1 Like

Taiwan in general has good feeling in Japan, but not the # travel favotite I guess from numbers and my friends/family in Japan. Taiwan seems be #4 or 5 on list of outbound numbers from Japan (#1 Korea, #2 China, #3 USA/Hawaii and Taiwan #4 or 5 (if you count EU as single area it’s ahead of Taiwan) . My relatives seems know not much about Taiwan (have not visited) and seems prefer Korea or the States (Hawaii , but to fair my family is from Hawaii)

From these more updated numbers, Taiwan is #2 behind South Korea.Japanese outbound tourists Statistics - Tourism Statistics - JTB Tourism Research & Consulting Co.

korea/ koreans are pretty popular now. the 90s center parting boy band look is all the rage.

Are you related to washenlang?

1 Like

Is that very creative pinyin for waishengren?

2 Likes

should be Taiwanese for 外省人
diu 'm diu, @OysterOmelet

Mshi

Diu

I am not sure if Taiwanese have hate/love for any country (including their own). I think they are all pragmatic opportunists who love face and money. They love to go to Japan and buy stuff for their friends. Do they love Japan? No.

They love to send their kids to the US and take a vacation and look at the vast open spaces and maybe even buy some real estate as a foot hold in another country. Do they love the US? No. (well, maybe the previous generations who went there when Taiwan still had martial law).

Do they love China? Ha, no. But they love the opportunities.

1 Like

金拍謝

The fuck is a"diu 'm diu"??

對不對

1 Like

I tend to agree with you that Taiwanese don’t have especially strong feelings toward any country, even their own. I don’t want to be so negative as to the reasons why this would be, though. Maybe part of it is because they don’t really have a country of their own to get behind, and so they don’t get too hot or cold about other nations.

Roughly same 方便 factor as Taipei but more money/opportunities. What’s not to love?

Don’t think rocket is Taiwanese
Could be wrong but

The idea that most Taiwanese people are becoming pro China is not correct in my circle anyway

Most Taiwanese don’t want to be part of PRC
IS my understanding

Anyway
Different people move in different circles

Who are these Taiwanese ppl you know? I literally don’t know one single person that dislikes Japan or America. Japan is bar none the most popular country to the point of obsession.

4 Likes