New Survey: Countries Taiwanese like and hate the most (Drumroll...)

I hope the Scots are properly grateful.

On the other hand, the southern Scots more or less invented the Industrial Revolution. So it’s a fair trade.

That’s an over simplification. Some colonisers tried to destroy local culture and language and responsible for millions of deaths, such as Chinese in Japan, Britain in South Africa and Ireland . Spain the same to a lot of countries. Thus they had nasty wars and oppression.
Of course they were hated by large sections of the population !
That politiicians use history for their own devices is absolutely normal.

1 Like

Aboriginal taiwanese too. I don’t know whether they like China, but they hate Japan.

yeah great example… Congo has never been a colony of France.

Belgium, France, whatever.

1 Like

That hasn’t been my experience with the Amei in Hualien. The older folks still sing and love Japanese songs, and the younger folks don’t seem to really care one way or the other. The only animosity I’ve heard and felt is that toward Taiwanese that moved into their neighborhoods long ago (Hakka?) who seem to have taken over all business. I’ve heard disparaging remarks, such as how they cheated many aborigines out of their land. I don’t know enough about the history to comment on this. Just my (somewhat limited) experience.

Edit: And I don’t feel there is any love toward the Chinese. But only for the obvious reason that they are coming in lots of tourist buses and invading every tourist spot. Somewhat loud and silly while they’re doing this, etc. The annoyance that we all feel.

I should say “mostly part of mountain tribes of aboriginal taiwanese.”

1 Like

When I went to the Bunun reservation, the presenter said that Japanese forced them out of their lands and made the settle in the foothills where it flooded easily. They’re still resentful.

As far as Chinese go, to them Chinese, Taiwanese they’re all the same.

Thank you. I thought so too.

I was obviously referring to Belgium. It’s called a typo.

I think Taiwanese dislike Russia cause it used to be THE communist country.

1 Like

My first guess is the consumption of American media and the Russia = bad narrative. I’ve never gotten the impression that many Taiwanese have a strong opinion either way about communism, so much as about China itself.

I think they do hold disdain towards the large number of Filipinos here, and that that would be a contributing factor in the opinion of the Philippines.
And I think the largely Chinese population of Singapore makes a difference in opinions too.

As for opinions on Japan, I don’t find it surprising given the Japanese actually did quite a bit to improve things when they were here.

And if I were an ex-British colony I’d be grateful if for nothing that they got to me before Spain or Portugal :^)

It’s definitely communism. My father underwent a KMT education and was taught Russia was the bad guy.

It’s beyond pathetic for anyone to indulge in historical hatred.

says the colonial master. yessa, massa

1 Like

I don’t know man, I still have a twinge in my tum tum whenever I think about the Mongol/Chinese empire sweeping into my ancestral homelands. Raping and pillaging and taking the pretty ones away. I’ve never been there and I couldn’t name anyone who lives there but, GRRR.

1 Like