New Taiwanted.com now active!

I’ve just transferred the current ads to the new and improved Taiwanted.com website

Please try to login and report bugs, fixes and suggestions in this thread

Happy New Year!
:slight_smile:

The links go to the right ads. But in the body in little ads on the side on Forumosa get mangled, sometimes with no spaces, making it one long line and scrunching up the rest of the page. Even if they’re in English.

Yes, I am going to invite the owners of the ads to edit them - correcting things, re-posting their photos and using the check-boxes for information that didn’t transfer

It’s going to be a bit messy and ugly, and there is still more to be done, but at least we are back on track again :slight_smile:

What? You can’t edit them yourself? You can’t mean we have to wait until the original submitters go back to edit them, can you? That could take weeks! And in the meantime we have to contend with the absolutely terrible and inconvenient layout? Just remove the offending ads from the new posts page, surely, and THEN tell the submitters to repost in the correct form. Why should WE be inconvenienced by non-posters who just want to sell stuff?

I got as far as ‘continue’ on step 3. Then it asked me to select a field in ‘show map’.

I clicked ‘please select’, which is the only option available, and just got the same error message.

Otherwise it looks good. I managed to login, which is an improvement.

That was for sale/miscellaneous, by the way.

For a laugh I clocked on the personals link, and it goes to the forumosa friends thing. You may want to add a note telling people that they have to:
a) register again as their flob username doesn’t work
b) pay money if they actually want to communicate with anyone

It says ‘free’ at the beginning, which indicates that no money is required. I suppose that technically it’s free to advertise, but it’s not free to actually make contact with people. As that is the purpose of using the ads, it’s not correct to say that it’s free.

You are right, it could indeed take weeks, but then only the most recent are presented here so it should correct much sooner

For the migration of ads, I copied the descriptions over to the “small descriptions” field, which has a character limit (this is why some/most? are incomplete sentences)

I could try removing them from the Active Topics page for a week and then reactivate them after the text is more “cooperative”.

[quote=“Loretta”]I got as far as ‘continue’ on step 3. Then it asked me to select a field in ‘show map’.

I clicked ‘please select’, which is the only option available, and just got the same error message.

Otherwise it looks good. I managed to login, which is an improvement.[/quote]
Thanks for checking this out

The map module needs to be re-installed (actually, I never got it working in the first place) so I’ll try to deactivate it/remove it until I figure it out. Please come back late tonight or tomorrow and try again[quote=“Loretta”]That was for sale/miscellaneous, by the way.

For a laugh I clocked on the personals link, and it goes to the forumosa friends thing. You may want to add a note telling people that they have to:
a) register again as their flob username doesn’t work
b) pay money if they actually want to communicate with anyone

It says ‘free’ at the beginning, which indicates that no money is required. I suppose that technically it’s free to advertise, but it’s not free to actually make contact with people. As that is the purpose of using the ads, it’s not correct to say that it’s free.[/quote]
That’s reasonable. We have been planning to make our own “landing page” where you normally would login. I’ll look to add the text to that effect in the little logins on the various boxes at the bottoms of forumosa and taiwanted

Still can’t login. And I also noticed the same jumbling issues stated above. When I clicked on the details, it looked normal.

By “jumbling” are you referring to the effect in Forumosa when some ads push the right margin of the page too far to the left? Or are you talking about jumbling on Taiwanted?

the “*Show maps” in “Modify Registration” is confusing me.

OK, I’ve removed it for now

Will look to install Google Maps in the future, and will try to figure out how best to display this in the system

posting a job offer (other jobs)

Part-time/Full-time pull down menu in ‘other jobs offered’, has no values, unable to complete post. Using FF3.

Modify Registration

Still asking for a map as a required entry, but it accepts ‘n/a’ as value.

Address 2 is a required entry, which is not needed as there is already an option to select the city and district.

Most of the dates read December 31st. I guess that will be fixed in time. I liked it better before when there was a bigger “newest ads” section on the cover page so I didn’t have to click 3 times to see an ad that I might have seen before.

I tried modifying my ad to included images again, but it kept coming up with things like “Your title is too long. Please shorten it to less than characters.” But it wouldn’t tell me how many.
Same with the print ad and main ad section.
There were also lots of errors above the page after I tried to alter the ad.
As for the profile, it wanted me to put in an address. I don’t feel comfortable doing that. So, I didn’t bother adjusting my original profile.

Hey Gus,
Is there any link to see the latest ads (in all categories)?

[quote=“jands”]posting a job offer (other jobs)

Part-time/Full-time pull down menu in ‘other jobs offered’, has no values, unable to complete post. Using FF3.[/quote]
Thanks for these. I think I know what mistake I made :doh: I’ll work on this asap :notworthy:

[quote=“jands”]Modify Registration

Still asking for a map as a required entry, but it accepts ‘n/a’ as value.

Address 2 is a required entry, which is not needed as there is already an option to select the city and district.[/quote]
I’ll have a closer look at the registration section and remove it - cheers

I agree that Address 2 shouldn’t be required. I left in 2 undefined address lines in case anyone wanted to put in building names (kinda like in NY or HK), or something I just can’t anticipate. Granted, except for, say, the International Trade Building, I never used long formal addresses when I lived in Taiwan :ponder:

I am not planning to change the 31 Dec date. I actually thought it was nice to automatically renew/extend all the ads. At the very least it was the simplest, quickest thing for me to do since the migration process requires me to convert those dates to the new system’s format anyway. It messes up the “New” post search to have all of them on the same date, but that will pass in time

The few “newest ads” that you see there are part of a little puzzle for me - trying to decide how many things should be there (and what categories should be). Like Forumosa.com, there is an Active Topics-like page - so if you are most interested in browsing the latest ads, that would be the one to use. I will look to make it more explicit

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey Gus,
Is there any link to see the latest ads (in all categories)?[/quote]
Yes, it is way down below and it’s called Latest Ads: taiwanted.com/toplistings.php?pg=new

I’d like to make this more visible and accessible, and “above the fold” when you first arrive at the website. It seems pretty silly that it isn’t like this already :blush:

Incidentally, I have not yet worked on the template that the Latest Ads page is using. And I don’t find it very useful the way it is. Expect this to change in a few days - and any suggestions for it are most welcome

[quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]I tried modifying my ad to included images again, but it kept coming up with things like “Your title is too long. Please shorten it to less than characters.” But it wouldn’t tell me how many.
Same with the print ad and main ad section.
There were also lots of errors above the page after I tried to alter the ad.[/quote]
I’m really sorry about that. My testing last year of the development install didn’t seem to have problems. But in doing this final migration, I not only moved over the ads, but I also changed it’s web address, which involves creating new folders on the server. I will double-check to see if all the proper server permissions and settings are all in order.

I’ll post again when I am sure the photo feature really does work :blush: I feel like a dork for asking all the Taiwanted Sellers to use it before I was 100% sure it worked

I don’t feel comfortable posting my contact information (especially where I live) on the Internet as well. Do note: there are 2 addresses associated with a classified ad:
1. the address that goes on the ad - this would be useful if you are recruiting teachers for a branch office, or if you are a busienss or having a moving sale and want people to come over to see what you are selling
2. the billing address - this is only visible to us, the administrators of the website. The only reason I personally would want to see this (your) information is if you wanted me to send you an official receipt (fapiao). For example, you may want to pay the NT$ 100 to highlight your ad - and you want us to send you a receipt. I suppose you could as easily email us directly and just ask for it. But what if you sell a lot of items, advertise your services regularly, or recruit a lot of teachers? Our having your billing address on file then is as useful to you as it would be to us :thumbsup:

In short, it doesn’t matter to us whether we have your address - that should not ever affect your placing an ad on Taiwanted. I’ll need to figure out a simple way to explain this on the website

[quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“irishstu”]Hey Gus,
Is there any link to see the latest ads (in all categories)?[/quote]
Yes, it is way down below and it’s called Latest Ads: taiwanted.com/toplistings.php?pg=new

I’d like to make this more visible and accessible, and “above the fold” when you first arrive at the website. It seems pretty silly that it isn’t like this already :blush:

Incidentally, I have not yet worked on the template that the Latest Ads page is using. And I don’t find it very useful the way it is. Expect this to change in a few days - and any suggestions for it are most welcome[/quote]

Cool. Thanks.

My ad now says it’s by some guy called “Pablo”.
Can this “Pablo” steal my life? Wear my clothes? Kiss my boyfriend?

It may be new, but not improved.

What was/were the problem(s) with the old site? How has the new format fixed this?

[quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“jands”]posting a job offer (other jobs)

Part-time/Full-time pull down menu in ‘other jobs offered’, has no values, unable to complete post. Using FF3.[/quote]
Thanks for these. I think I know what mistake I made :doh: I’ll work on this asap :notworthy:
[/quote]

Still not working :s