New to Taiwan: Some Questions

The last time I was in Taiwan I substituted one night at a cram school, which was a ton of fun; good kids, all around 8 or 9 years old. So that was way fun, and they paid me NT1,000 per hour. I don’t really expect to get that much, though. Maybe 700-800?

I figure I’ll hang on to my current job (good advice), but I’m always open to new ones. Aside from freelancing, who in Taiwan is usually in need of editors and copyeditors? I’m guessing newspaper jobs are pretty competitive?

And thanks for the welcome!

[quote][color=#0000FF]One thing though, if you are working freelance here while studying you need to keep it all hush hush.
[/color][/quote]

Is it the same thing if you’re here on a work or visitor visa? For example, if I get a part-time job (and an ARC/work permit) and continue editing for the company I work for in the US, is that also the kind of thing that one should be discreet about? What about if it’s just a visitor visa for the first month or so that I’m here?

You can’t work on a visitor visa as you won’t have a work permit. As to your freelance work for your US company, you could do that, as I assume you would be doing the work at home on a PC. But any work you do in Taiwan for a Taiwanese company will require a work permit.

[quote=“mattyj”][quote][color=#0000FF]One thing though, if you are working freelance here while studying you need to keep it all hush hush.
[/color][/quote]

Is it the same thing if you’re here on a work or visitor visa? For example, if I get a part-time job (and an ARC/work permit) and continue editing for the company I work for in the US, is that also the kind of thing that one should be discreet about? What about if it’s just a visitor visa for the first month or so that I’m here?[/quote]

Yes. Do not mention that you are doing this. An work permit is for a specific job and not an open ended permit for employment.

No not competitive because they pay very badly.

Ah, gotchya. Thanks for the heads up on that. I’ll just keep my own work to myself, then. Do any of you know about finding part time copyediting work at say, the Taipei Times, and then getting a work visa through them? What I mean to ask is, is that kind of thing common?

I’ve been peeking around the forum weekly over the past year planning a study abroad trip to Taiwan. I was in Taichung over the past summer and studied at a university in Wufong it’s new called Asia University. I am going to be in Taipei to study at NTU as an exchange student over the year and would like some advice about what to expect and how best to take advantage of my time in Taiwan. I have a lot to ask and have split it up into sections, if you can’t answer it all just answer what you can. I will be in Taipei either late August or Early Sep of this year.

Budgeting:

Besides a private dorm room that is $300usd what else would I expect my day-to-day expenditures around NTU to be.
How much is eating out breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Occasionally at a nice place. I will mainly be sticking to the buddhist vegetarian restaurants for lunch and breakfast. Can anyone recommend places around NTU?

Learning Chinese:

Right now my level of Chinese is non-exisntent. I do intend to self-study over the summer. What is the best way to learn? I will be taking 10 hours a week of formal instruction, but would also like to study on my own. I know the whole idea about iscolating myself from foreigns and interacting with locals, but does anyone have any great experiences that can be shared?

Fun

I’m going with an academic purpose, but also want to have fun. How much would a night out at top nightclubs cost me? How much are tables etc.? Where do foreign teenagers hangout?

Internships/Jobs

I know that working is illegal under the visa I’ll be obtaining, but does anyone have any experience getting an internship at a multi-national? I do see myself coming back to Taiwan and would like to use my experience to better myself in a career choice.

Thanks a lot!

There is a function called Search in the top right corner.

You should be able to eat for NT200-300 per day. c. US$8-10 in the NTU area. I think the best food in the NTU area is a couple of guabao at Lanjia and a tall boy of Taiwan beer.

Other good choices are:

Emei Sichuan Restaurant (under $600 for two)–excellent Taiwan style Sichuan food
Ginza Vietnamese restaurant (chicken curry, vietnamese-style pork)
Wuyun – homestyle Burmese/Yunnan food.

[quote]Learning Chinese:

Right now my level of Chinese is non-exisntent. I do intend to self-study over the summer. What is the best way to learn? I will be taking 10 hours a week of formal instruction, but would also like to study on my own. I know the whole idea about iscolating myself from foreigns and interacting with locals, but does anyone have any great experiences that can be shared?[/quote]

Don’t isolate yourself from other foreigners. Hang out with ones who speak some Chinese or are interested in learning. They will have Taiwanese friends who are used to speaking Mandarin with foreigners. Go to class every day. Hang out in your favorite bar or cafe every day. There are a bazillion in the NTU area. I recommend that you try Bobwundaye and Cat on the Road.

[quote]Fun

I’m going with an academic purpose, but also want to have fun. How much would a night out at top nightclubs cost me? How much are tables etc.? Where do foreign teenagers hangout?[/quote]

Try Luxy, Pasoul, and Primo in East Taipei. You could probably get away with NT$1,500 for a night out. Tables at ‘top’ nightclubs are often NT$10,000. Underworld, Revolver, Roxy99, Wax, Roxy Rocker are far less expensive options closer to NTU (and a lot more fun).

[quote]
Internships/Jobs

I know that working is illegal under the visa I’ll be obtaining, but does anyone have any experience getting an internship at a multi-national? I do see myself coming back to Taiwan and would like to use my experience to better myself in a career choice.

Thanks a lot![/quote]

Taiwan doesn’t really have the concept of interns. The only place I know of that hires foreign interns is the American Chamber of Commerce.

I’ve searched it all.

nice work - anything I should know?

I often eat at buffets 'cause I like the option of choosing exactly what I want and skipping the rice/noodles. I recently found an awesome vegetarian buffet near the back of NTU (about 5 - 8 min walk~). Not sure what it’s called (maybe ‘Nature’?) but it’s on the way to the Technology Building MRT station. It always seems pretty popular and the food’s always fresh n tasty o/. The cost of your meal depends on the weight; might cost you about NT80 for a decent-sized meal~ Of course it depends how much you eat though (I seem to eat heaps compared to Taiwanese chicks :lick: )

There are also two buffets on campus which seem to be a lot cheaper than other buffets - one in a food-court area, n the other is near the female dorms (close to the language center).

There’s a board in the language center where heaps of local students post notices looking for Chinese - English language exchanges, so you should have no problem finding others to converse with :thumbsup:

I merged your thread with this one as most of your questions have been discussed here already.

[quote=“NewYorker”]I’ve been peeking around the forum weekly over the past year planning a study abroad trip to Taiwan. I was in Taichung over the past summer and studied at a university in Wufong it’s new called Asia University. I am going to be in Taipei to study at NTU as an exchange student over the year and would like some advice about what to expect and how best to take advantage of my time in Taiwan. I have a lot to ask and have split it up into sections, if you can’t answer it all just answer what you can. I will be in Taipei either late August or Early Sep of this year.

Budgeting:

Besides a private dorm room that is $300usd what else would I expect my day-to-day expenditures around NTU to be.
How much is eating out breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Occasionally at a nice place. I will mainly be sticking to the buddhist vegetarian restaurants for lunch and breakfast. Can anyone recommend places around NTU?[/quote]
No idea about that myself (not Buddhist, and not vegetarian - also, not a Taipeier, but I do know it’s more expensive than Tainan). But depending on what and where you eat, I can’t see it costing you more than NT300 a day if you’re careful. In Tainan I could eat for NT150/day if I wanted to, so I got to that figure by doubling it basically. Not sure if Buddhist vegetarian food is cheaper or more expensive.

[quote=“NewYorker”]Learning Chinese:

Right now my level of Chinese is non-exisntent. I do intend to self-study over the summer. What is the best way to learn? I will be taking 10 hours a week of formal instruction, but would also like to study on my own. I know the whole idea about iscolating myself from foreigns and interacting with locals, but does anyone have any great experiences that can be shared?[/quote]
Best place for info on that would be the Learning Chinese forum.

[quote=“NewYorker”]Fun

I’m going with an academic purpose, but also want to have fun. How much would a night out at top nightclubs cost me? How much are tables etc.? Where do foreign teenagers hangout?[/quote]
Depends on how much you drink. The last time I went out in Taipei (2010) I went out with NT5000 in my pocket and got back to jimipresley’s house with less than NT2000. I was horrified. That said, I did buy a few rounds. Beers seem to be in the region of NT150 to NT200 at least, although I’m told there are some places that are cheaper. Some places also have cover charges. So, I can’t see you escaping without forking out at least NT1000 (possibly more - remember, taxis are also involved here), unless you nurse a single beer for hours on end. That, or maybe I just drink too much when I go out.

[quote=“NewYorker”]Internships/Jobs

Thanks a lot![/quote]
Not sure if that is possible or not.

[quote=“fondle”]I often eat at buffets 'cause I like the option of choosing exactly what I want and skipping the rice/noodles. I recently found an awesome vegetarian buffet near the back of NTU (about 5 - 8 min walk~). Not sure what it’s called (maybe ‘Nature’?) but it’s on the way to the Technology Building MRT station. It always seems pretty popular and the food’s always fresh n tasty o/. The cost of your meal depends on the weight; might cost you about NT80 for a decent-sized meal~ Of course it depends how much you eat though (I seem to eat heaps compared to Taiwanese chicks :lick: )

There are also two buffets on campus which seem to be a lot cheaper than other buffets - one in a food-court area, n the other is near the female dorms (close to the language center).

There’s a board in the language center where heaps of local students post notices looking for Chinese - English language exchanges, so you should have no problem finding others to converse with :thumbsup:[/quote]

Are you studying at NTU now? I know about the whole buffet system in Taiwan I like it a lot. Made great friends with the Laoban (owner) of a restaurant back in Taichung. How receptive are the locals on campus to foreigners?

So I’m currently living in Chicago…a very expensive city, and considering moving to Taiwan, by recommendation of my concept artist, who is an expat in Taiwan. I’m 20 years old, no degree yet. I have a lot of skills related to game development and music. I’m a native speaker of English and have (VERY MINIMAL) 中文。“我说的不好” is probably the best phrase I can conjure as of yet. My main reason for wanted to get out of Chicago is mainly that I have relationship problems with my current landlords…my parents. I’d definitely be willing to learn some more Chinese, and can pick up languages rather quickly. My main concerns are how far my current budget will carry me. I have around $1,500 saved up so far, which I highly doubt will get me that far, but I’d like to know from 1st handers how much they had saved up before pulling the trigger. Any other stuff I should worry about as far as getting to Taiwan and staying there?

Hi Chatto. Welcome to Forumosa.

What are you thinking of doing for a job in Taiwan? Sorry to say that without a degree, you most likely cannot work here (not legally anyway).

too many “lost” young people, who thinks, that Taiwan is the place to be.
Sorry beeing that harsh here …

no degree means you wont be able to work here legally. BA is minimum even if you just want to teach english. without it you cant get a work permit. and 1500 USD is not much. thats probably not even the flight here and a months stay if you cant work i guess (i paid that much just for the flight here and back to germany).
I would say per month about 300 USD for rent if you get a place and another 300 for food and getting around. you can probably cut that down a little still but i wouldnt. and even 600 per month without savings or backup would not be somethign that i would risk here.
as to worrying about staying here… you would need to find some work which i think is impossible to do legally without a degree… without it you would have visa problems. meaning you would have to burn another 300 USD for visa runs to hongkong every other month.

Getting away from from problems is probably not the best reason to move to another country. I generally think it’s better to have a reason you WANT to be in that other country.

Second, as irishstu pointed out, without a college degree, you can’t work here legally. You could come and study Chinese, but your funds probably won’t last long, between rent, utilities, tuition and food. Heck, the money you mentioned would barely be enough to get a plane ticket over here. My trip to Michigan in the fall is going to cost me just over US$1600.

As people have said, you won’t be able to legally work here, and unless you have a sugar daddy or mommy waiting here, or you really want to live and work underground (something that only Pippi Longstocking can pull off with ease), your money will run out pretty soon. I would focus out of getting out of your parents’ house and becoming indepdendent, and not neccesarily having to go across the globe to do it. Indepdendence is a state of mind.