New toy

I just picked up an X-Drive with a 30Gb HD down in Guanghua. It’s really, really nice. It’s only the size of a Walkman and will read Compactflash, IBM Microdrive, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital, and MultiMediaCard. The X-Drive itself cost under $3000NT and it can use any notebook size HD.
If you’ve got a digital camera this is great!!

xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/

Unfortunately doesn’t support Fuji’s xD Card. Bit of an oversight I would have thought.

What does it do and what’s so special about it ?

Do they make internal X-Drives? too many ext. peripherals lying around. surrounded by cables.

You can transfer the data off a CF card etc and then later transfer it from the X-Drive to a computer (USB 2.0).

Using a 256MB CF card with my Olympus E-20 (shooting RAW), I can only get about 25 photos. Being able to immediately transfer everything over to the X-Drive and continue using to card is alot cheaper than havng to buy more CF cards. As I said, I put a 30GB hd in my X-Drive…That’s about 3000 photos. :smiley: And it works fine with XP, Mac OSX or Linux. I’m going to be in Yogya, Indonesia for a few weeks around the Prambanan Temple complex and I plan to shoot alot.

Blueface,

I’ve actually read about this before on the internet, and am interested in them. Can you tell me how much it would cost for the 30GB harddrive? I’m not very familiar with notebook harddrive prices.

[quote=“scomargo”]Blueface,

I’ve actually read about this before on the internet, and am interested in them. Can you tell me how much it would cost for the 30GB harddrive? I’m not very familiar with notebook harddrive prices.[/quote]

A 30GB drive will cost in the neighborhood of $3000NT. BTW, the X-Drive uses a USB 2.0 connection which is backwards compatible with USB 1.1 so you won’t have to buy any new hardware.

It’s the same as a portable 2.5" HDD. But it also accepts flash and other memory sticks and plays audio.

Blueface, dui bu dui?

Anyway. most cameras come with a USB cord, so one could by a cheap portable 2.5" holder and shoor straight on the HDD or download to the HDD everytime the mem is, thereby by-passing the need for somewhere to insert a mem stick.

[quote=“Alleycat”]It’s the same as a portable 2.5" HDD. But it also accepts flash and other memory sticks and plays audio.

Blueface, dui bu dui?[/quote]

Cha bu duo.

I don’t think that will work.

Yes that’s right, no interface.