New User. Greetings from South Korea. Carnet Question

Hello Everyone.

I’d just like to introduce myself to everyone on the board. I’m a Canadian currently in South Korea. I enjoy motorcycling and I ride a Suzuki Hayabusa. (Pic Below).
I speak Mandarin, too. I’m planning on moving to Taiwan soon. My nickname is “SteelHead”.

I go by the same name in Korea at the Seoul Hayabusa Club, except they also call me “Sashimi” (implies knives…) Nothing could be further from the truth. I’m a good guy but I look rather imposing at 200lbs, shaved head, and black leather jacket. I’m even a level-headed motorcycler - most of the time!

I’m standing beside my bike in the photo there. cafe.daum.net/seoulhayabusa

[color=blue]I do have a question[/color] about a Tecro Carnet (temporary tax-free import document). Anyone know if I can bring my motorcycle from South Korea tax-free with a Carnet?
And!!! Is there a car ferry that runs between Taiwan and South Korea? These are my two earth shattering questions. If anyone knows, I’ll be the first one to buy you a “two-four” of beer (Canadian talk for a case of beer) when we meet up in Taiwan.

I’m looking to make some friends in Taiwan. Send me a PM if you would like. I’ll be glad to hear from you. Looking to find a good riding crew. I’ve been teaching down in Seoul for three years. I’d also like to work and study in Taiwan and find a decent apartment. If you would like to share your experiences, it would be coool.

Have a good one.

Cheers,
SteelHead

[quote=“SteelHead”]Hello Everyone.

I’d just like to introduce myself to everyone on the board. I’m a Canadian currently in South Korea. I enjoy motorcycling and I ride a Suzuki Hayabusa. (Pic Below).
I speak Mandarin, too. I’m planning on moving to Taiwan soon. My nickname is “SteelHead”.

I go by the same name in Korea at the Seoul Hayabusa Club, except they also call me “Sashimi” (implies knives…) Nothing could be further from the truth. I’m a good guy but I look rather imposing at 200lbs, shaved head, and black leather jacket. I’m even a level-headed motorcycler - most of the time!

I’m standing beside my bike in the photo there. cafe.daum.net/seoulhayabusa

[color=blue]I do have a question[/color] about a Tecro Carnet (temporary tax-free import document). Anyone know if I can bring my motorcycle from South Korea tax-free with a Carnet?
And!!! Is there a car ferry that runs between Taiwan and South Korea? These are my two earth shattering questions. If anyone knows, I’ll be the first one to buy you a “two-four” of beer (Canadian talk for a case of beer) when we meet up in Taiwan.

I’m looking to make some friends in Taiwan. Send me a PM if you would like. I’ll be glad to hear from you. Looking to find a good riding crew. I’ve been teaching down in Seoul for three years. I’d also like to work and study in Taiwan and find a decent apartment. If you would like to share your experiences, it would be coool.

Have a good one.

Cheers,
SteelHead

[/quote]

there ! a perfect introduction like a gentleman and yet nobody answers the poor kid??

well i aint in taiwan or else i may have a beer or two with the bloke. sounds like hes ready to rock and roll in taiwan !

far as i know , NO FERRYS from taiwan to/from south korea. ONly to okinawa.

dont know anything bout the logistics of importing ones own bike from overseas. sorry

hey Steelhead, contact MORDETH on this forum, he is mister moto around these parts

Never heard of a Carnet, but knowing the Taiwanese government, I seriously doubt the chances of getting anything imported in tax-free… let alone a busa~ they would also probably make you do all the emissions testing etc. also… I will have a chat with a mechanic friend and see if he knows anything~

Ferries…no idea~ never planned on going to Korea yet, though I don’t think the distance between the two is going to be favourable for ferries~

A carnet is used for temporary importation of things used in exhibitions and such like. Almost guaranteed you can’t get one for a motorcycle to be used for normal use on the roads. Vehicles have very high import fees and you have to get them tested and reregistered. Usually it’s cheaper to just buy one here.

Have you decided WHERE in Taiwan you want to head to? There’s plenty of ‘crews’ around Taiwan, but personally I prefer riding in smaller groups or solo. I find that if I’m in a big group, I tend to get competitive, which is not really a good thing on the road~ Nothing wrong with a spirited ride, but pushing yourself too much on the street… well… I’ve learnt my lessons~

Once you know where you are, I’m sure that more than a few of us will be quite happy to head out with you for a ride… :slight_smile:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]A carnet is used for temporary importation of things used in exhibitions and such like. Almost guaranteed you can’t get one for a motorcycle to be used for normal use on the roads. Vehicles have very high import fees and you have to get them tested and reregistered. Usually it’s cheaper to just buy one here.[/quote]You do need a carnet for driving between some countries. But it’s a temporary thing, as you say. The deal is that you then take your vehicle out again after your trip. But as the OP’s moving here, not just on holiday, this doesn’t apply. In any case, I don’t know whether there is a carnet system for vehicles here. I doubt it.

I wouldn’t like to imagine the import/smog check/registration charges for importing a Hayabusa. A substantial proportion of the cost of the bike, I’d say.

Forget about importing it in, unless you have lots invested in the bike. If it is a bare bone bike, just sell it and buy a second hand one in Taiwan. It will be substantially cheaper. Emission tests can range from $70,000-$100,000NT, then you need to pay all kinds of road taxes for first time registration, that’s after you pay the import tax, which in Taiwan is like 100% (big bikes are considered luxury items not vehicles). Plus, you wouldn’t be able to ride it legally in Taiwan. You need to hold a normal (250cc below) license for a year before you can take the test to get you big bore motorcycle license. Sell your bike, spend some time in Taiwan and get used to the fucked up traffic situation here, then get a bike after a year when you get you big bike license. The average price for a second hand Hayabusa is around $340,000 - $400,000NT depending on condition and mileage.
You can check out the prices of bikes here as reference:
tw.bid.yahoo.com/tw/2092081453-c … play=image

tw.bid.yahoo.com/tw/2092081450-c … 1176119795

there is a ferry from keelung going to Okinawa and some place south in Japan. I gues there is some ferry betwen japan and south Korea.