New VC takes title from Aussie

[quote] New VC takes title from Aussie
Leisa Scott and Michael Evans, March 19, 2005

A YOUNG British soldier who dragged his wounded platoon commander to safety and rescued 29 other soldiers under enemy fire in Iraq has been awarded the Victoria Cross, finally relieving Queenslander Keith Payne of his 36-year title as the most recent living recipient of the honour.

Private Johnson Gideon Beharry, 25, is now one of just 14 living recipients of the award for exceptional bravery after pushing through an ambush in an armoured vehicle while the turret was on fire, in the town of al-Amarah, north of Basra, on May 1 last year.

Far from being upset at losing his title, former Warrant Officer Second Class Payne was thrilled to hear the tight guidelines for awarding Britain’s highest military honour for bravery had been met by the young soldier.

“That is absolutely bloody marvellous,” the one-time battalion commander said yesterday from his home in Mackay, north Queensland.

“Bloody oath. That makes me no longer the vice, the brand-newest, I’ve lost my position of the vice after all these years. Bloody marvellous.” b[/b]
The Australian[/quote]
Damn fine story.
Well done Private Johnson Gideon Beharry.

beaudy mate… noice one