New Venue for Games Club

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Wow, excellent games club today! A round of Clue topped off with delicious oven-baked pizzas and calzones. I think next weekend we will meet at Alleycat’s again if he doesn’t mind opening at 4 again. Thanks again, Alleycat, for accomodating us.

My compliments to the chef… :notworthy:[/quote]Again ?!? That explains it, thanks for telling me :fume:

Actually, you can thank Ax. I got a call (not from Ax) saying that it had been moved there. Unfortunately, BFM, I don’t have your contact information or I could have gotten a hold of you in addition to everyone else to let you know it moved. Sorry, la.

yeah,

I called Alleycats and she said imani never came back to confirm, so I called everyone on my contact list to move to alleycats.

since I do not have your contact number, I couldn’t call you either.

sorry about that matt…

ax

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Unfortunately, BFM, I don’t have your contact information[/quote]That’s to stop nutters calling me :raspberry: And I don’t like these new fangled gadgets, there’s something unnatural about talking into a machine.
Haven’t you heard of telepathy ? Oh wait, that wouldn’t work either, I was out.
You could have left a message on here.
:raspberry: , and another :raspberry: to you

From what computer? The one at Shuang Yu? :unamused:
I didn’t know either until I got to Shi Da Rd. and got a phone call as I walked down the alley toward Grandma Nitti’s. And am I mistaken or did you just call me a nutter? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I was thinking if we could change the location of game club every now and then so we can enjoy atmosphere of different teahouse in taipei.

I volunteer to pick up the venue for next meeting, and contact everyone with necessary info on how to get there.

ax

How about we stay in one place since we have just changed. Moving it around would make it difficult for new people to join us. Besides, I think our new locale is too good for us to change it, especially since its owner is doing a special favor in opening early for us. If you want to have different game sites in different teahouses, then by all means, you don’t have to rely on Games Club to get people to meet you there. Not everyone on your contact list is in Games Club anymore and not everyone in Games Club is on your contact list (as we have proven last weekend)

Ax, as you said, you do not have everyone’s contact information so you cannot be relied upon as the sole way of letting others know about venue changes (e.g. last week’s near-fiasco if it wasn’t due to Rob and me scrambling to call a few of the current GC’ers who were on their way to Shuang Yu as I was). How about you chilling out, attending a few more Games Club get-togethers (meaning more than just two of them in the last 4+ months), and letting everyone have a say in where it takes place instead of trying to hijack the whole thing to cater just to what you want.

For the time being, however, and to avoid any further confusions, Games Club will continue to meet at Alleycat’s (where we had discussed moving to before) unless there is further notice posted on forumosa.com in advance.

Sorry guys: Alleycat is sick, so he won’t open today. I’ve messaged Ax and ImaniOU to either move it or cancel the Game Club just for today.

Get in touch with them or me if you need information

Iris

thanks for the message iris.
would anyone wants to meet somewhere else? There’s lot of restaurant nearby in yongkang st.

I’d say if we see eachother in in Yongkang st. There’s a good secondhand bookshop cafe underground. Across monster ICE. if you guys want so meet there, let me know. I can give some direction on the phone.

ax

Much as I like Alleycat’s (I really do) I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a good venue. I really think a coffee shop or teahouse would be better. I don’t wnat to start drinking on Sunday’s and a cuppa with a game is really much better than a pint. I don’t want to get even fatter off too much pizza either. But yeah, it’s important that we choose a permanent place and don’t keep moving it around. (But I come so rarely, you can feel free to ignore my opinion). Also isn’t 4PM a bit late. It used to be 3. I like to stay for a few hours but still get home fairly early.

Brian

aside from that second hand bookshop I mentioned, the laoban will let you stay as long as you can and you can pick up any manga you want readin if you feel bored; there’s a new teahouse opened just across shuangyu. I wondered it’s of the same laoban. It looks so much alike with shuangyu, it got a nice verandah…so we can sit there one summer and play our games…and make loud noises… I don’t know…
the name of the new teahouse is “Peacock”

ax

Let’s decide where to meet this sunday and inform everyone beforehand…I don’t want to make rob feel dismayed like last week…

ax

[quote=“ax”]Let’s decide where to meet this sunday and inform everyone beforehand
ax[/quote]

And to everyone who came to Shuang Yu and could not find other members of Games Club…Ax didn’t have your number so he couldn’t call you to let you know that he again moved it without any prior notice.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

[quote=“ImaniOU”][quote=“ax”]Let’s decide where to meet this sunday and inform everyone beforehand
ax[/quote]

And to everyone who came to Shuang Yu and could not find other members of Games Club…Ax didn’t have your number so he couldn’t call you to let you know that he again moved it without any prior notice.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:[/quote]I give up. Thanks for ruining Game Club and turning it into Ax’s little private cafe club.
No wonder no-one turns up anymore.

Hey, I tried, BFM. I am ready to give up too. It’s ridiculous to have to run around Taipei trying to find it despite the fact that I have posted the locations and a running schedule and encouraged discussion on where it could be moved. Personally, I am sick and tired of Ax’s antics as it has alienated those who have actually been trying to keep Games Club running.

A year ago, who’d have thought Games Club would turn into a dictatorship run by someone with marginal attendance for his own whim…e.g. selling Chinese Squabble, playing only what he wants played, and moving Games Club around to different teahouses at the last minute, an act that excludes anyone not on his personal phone list from joining us (especially new people).

If you attend Games Club or would like to attend Games Club or would just like to see it continue, please post your opinion on here because at this point, the attendance is ridiculously low (rarely more than 4 people for the last few months), and it hardly seems worth it to continue. I’m half-tempted to let Ax turn it into what he wants it to be…that being The Ax Show, featuring Chinese Squabble and what ever else he wants you to play, where ever he decides to hold it that day. It seems like a few others are more than happy to let him dictate it as well, even if that means they are scrambling around trying to find it.

I cannot nor will not speak for everyone, but as for my own opinion, I am very frustrated with how things have been going since he’s started attending again.

:fume:

I apologize to Imani, and BFM for having moved the ax show to the shop right across Shuangyu. It is not my intention to hurt any member or ruin the integrity of the club, however, as you said, past attendance has been extremely low, and I’ve been trying to call every gameclubbers to come out. I was there earlier at Shuangyu and couldn’t find anybody there, so I gave Rob and Rascal a call so we could meet across shuangyu. I really detest it having to go back to shuangyu because of the exorbitant prices and bad experience of having lost the games the members left there.

I admit to have manouvred the game club in the past by selling chinese squabble to people I knew. I was trying to kill two bird with one stone at that time. I had a good time at the game club, and I can also invite people to come and sell them squabbles. In doing so, if it makes Imani feels sick and tired of my behaviour, I offer my apology.

Further, I do like to play the game of my choice. I find phase ten and games that involves logic is not really suitable for my tiny brain, therefore I resort to play the game I like most which involves words. I do honestly hope to keep the game club going and I do not wish to see it going at shuangyu again.

I have put some post in the past to encourage discussion and decision to which place is best to have the meeting. I hope we could have it decided here, as to where to meet next week.

ax

I am really struggling to be diplomatic here and use diplomatic language, Ax, because you have seriously been trying my patience and it takes a lot to do that.
Discussion does not mean moving the location the day of and then calling a handful of people. BFM and I were not the only ones who could not find the group today. The only reason why there were not more frustrated people two weeks ago when you pulled the same stunt is because I happened to run into Okami and had the numbers of other Games Club members on my phone. I would once again like to remind you that any changes should be discussed or at least mentioned on the forum before being implemented. I don’t think it’s your decision alone of where it takes place. We were doing well discussing it online and on Sundays until you came along and hijacked the whole thing to suit what you wanted just because you showed up once after months of not attending. You obviously haven’t been calling all gameclubbers out or else we wouldn’t have people pissed off yet again. :unamused:
As for not liking “logic” games, your word games are very biased against non-native English speakers and to those who do not read Mandarin. It’s nice to have some games that can be played without requiring one to have advanced English or Mandarin proficiency.
We had a discussion going on about the location. Then you messed with the location and the discussion stopped being about moving the location and started to be about people asking what happened. The reason why I refuse to give you my number is because it defeats the purpose of not calling me. You shouldn’t need to call me about Games Club because (get some paper and write this down) it should not be moved on whim. I am tired of people coming to me and asking why Games Club was moved again because I am the only one who is posting its location whereas you are the one who keeps changing it.

I wash my hands of the whole thing for this coming weekend. Since you are so bloody keen to decide where it will take place, you tell us online where it’s going to take place. I know it’ll be a first for you to let people know ahead of time, but I have faith in you or my name isn’t Imani.

And it ain’t.

I’m not a diplomat nor have I been trained at any embassy to be diplomatic, but all my previous expression of concerns has been sincere. And I do not deliberately pick on you, or trying your patience on purpose.

My apology also to BFM. As for Tyler last 2 weeks, he wouldn’t have showed up hadn’t I called him the night before.

The one month I didn’t showed up at the game club was because of all the new year thing, the wedding receptions, and my trip back to Jakarta.

You’re not saying that English Squabble requires any advance ability of English or Mandarin. I only play Chinese Squabble with those who wants to improve their Chinese, and Japanese Squabble to improve my weak Japanese. I admit English Squabble WAS my egotrip, But now I’ve learned that I play it not for the score, but more for the fun of it.

Now that Pilate washed his hands, or… was his name Pilate?, I shall bear my cross at the “Passion”. I would volunteer check for the best and comfy place we could meet and make sure it’s near the MRT and reasonably inexpensive then post it on here at this thread. I beg of you and BFM to PM me with your new number so I could get hold of you when I couldn’t find you at the site. I’ve put effort to keep the gameclub intact and encourage everyone to come and have fun by calling them up and ask for confirmation.

ax

Ok, let’s leave the issue about what games to play or not to play out of this discussion for a moment and focus on the venue.

I also agree that moving (unilateral) the location was a bad move since not all members can or want to be reached and for newcomers it would be extremely difficult to find us then. Therefore we require a somewhat permanent place. The following conditions should be fullfilled:

1. Convenient location (near MRT)
  2. Space (big table for 4-8 people)
  3. Reasonable prices

I do agree that Shuang Yu is not the cheapest place but compared to the place we went yesterday (opposite) it is way cheaper as prices there don’t include the service charge @ 10% and there is no 50% discount on continued orders of the same drink. But in any case we need to consider that we also “pay” for using their place and the environment (including Chris de Burgh music :wink: ), so we may need to swallow prices that are a tad higher than the Welcome supermarket.
At this point, and that’s purely a personal opinion, I also would like to point out that it’s IMHO not ok to bring outside food/drinks (as some do).
I also agree with Brian that Alleycat’s is perhaps not the best place for most of the reasons mentioned. Great food and well worth a visit for dinner or else though.

Anyhow, to get the game club going again I suggest the following course of action:

1. No more moving around “dictated” by one member.

2. Find a suitable place, or two places we can alternate between.
    That place may even include Shuang Yu, we could ask for a discount and that they reserve a table for us - if they disagree we will plan to move for good.
    But until we have confirmed a better place I suggest we stay there for the time being, say at least until end of April.

3. Once we found a place (or two) we publish the location(s) and schedule. If it’s one place it would be easier to manage of course.

4. Some of the regulars should give out / publish their contact numbers so that newcomers or not-so-regular people can call and enquire (location etc.)

5. Nominate 2, max. 3 people to take charge for scouting out new places and making the necessary decisions.

As well I suggest that we move the time back to 3:00pm rather than 4, it’s getting too late otherwise. Not that I personally mind but others may have family committments etc.

I’ll say it again…we’d be happy to host your club. Drop by and see us. We are here.