New website: CHINA RISING

Still sore at losing that election are ya? Life’s a bitch eh?

Oh man good times. :laughing: The blind allegiance to certain things that posters show on that message board is astounding. Think outside the box, people. That’s all I have to say…for now.

Actually, untrue. I presented the link on this forum PRECISELY because I wanted to attract those who disagree with us.

Hi folks, I am the founder of www.China-Rising.org.

First of all, in light of the extreme polarity of our views, I strongly discourage flaming. In other words, please refrain from spewing personal attacks on my intelligence, my bodily functions, my immediate family, etc. Quite simply, give respect and you shall get it.

In this thread, I see a lot accusations being thrown that we (the CR staff) are imbeciles, who blindly adhere to the PRC party-line. That is complete balderdash. I, for one, am quite critical of the PRC. I firmly believe that true patriotism is just criticism of the government. In fact, there are times when I verge on the point of being a “China-basher” myself.

But what I think separates me from many on forumosa is that I strive for moderation, practicality and rationality. I’m not easily swayed by propaganda or imagery. I am constantly challenging my own views. There are at times when even I question China’s legitimacy over claims to Taiwan. Also, I value pragmatism over ideology. I care about results in the long run, not abstract and vaguely defined values. I also consider myself relatively open to new ideas. I try to assert these very same principles when I made the website. But enough about me.

My message here is brief and also general. I think the world would be a much better place if one tries to fully understand all sides of the issue before firming establishing an opinion. Some of the members here remarked we are going to delete posts that disagree with us? Well, they obviously haven’t visited my forum. I run the forum in accordance to Jefferson’s words: “There is no truth existing which I fear or wish unknown to the world.” If what my opponent says is true, that is good. If what my opponent says is wrong, then in the process of debunking it, I can only reaffirm what is true. All I ask is that you folks don’t throw accusations about the other side before fully understanding it.

Chances are, most people have already established firm beliefs regarding the cross-straits conflict. I doubt any amount of bickering can change people’s minds. My only hope is for some of you to merely understand that there are both sides to this issue. The conflict is more than just Righteous-TI-advocates versus Braindead-PRC-Slaves. That’s all I wish for.

Regards

Well said Xiao.

As one of the founding members and a moderator on the board, I advertised our site to this forum precisely because I knew it would draw members from the polar opposite camp. The goal was to encourage debate and to have both sides to each issue present.

I notice some here have presented suspicions that your comments would be deleted or censored. As you visit the site, you can attest that none of this has occured. You can be assured that none of your posts, as long as they are civil, will be censured.

There has also been accusations that we are narrow minded ideologues who will simply flame away. However, personal attacks on our intelligence and our ability to understand complex issues have primarily come from forumosa members who have ventured over to our site. As you can see, the responses they have recieved have largely been civil and respectful while strongly disagreeing with their views.

Let’s be quite honest. Most of us are quite set in our views about Taiwan. And no amount of bickering is likely to change our opinions. However, I believe every site of debate is not legitimate unless all viewpoints are presented. In this spirit, the China Rising forum is open to anybody.

Jive Turkey,

Your wife, Jive Hen, gave up after less than 1 day of posting. Bah, no fun at all, now I’m back to debating you. :slight_smile:

Until the govt blocks it

Hi there,

You’ll have to excuse the first impressions. The first group of articles posted on your forum looks like, sounds like, reads like “re-worded” PRC propaganda writings. Hence the strong reactions here.

It will take more time to develop and then we’ll see how it goes. I think it’s too early to tell one way or another. But I would have to agree with the majority of posters here that so far it doesn’t look like you are anything more than a mouth piece for the CCP.

Regards,

I like the Chinarising site and I hope more people from 'mosa can join in the discussions to provide alternative points of view. The majority of posters over there at the moment are staunch supporters of the PRC government and, frankly, from what I have read so far, many of the posts have a distinct whiff of propaganda about them.

But give it time. It’s only two weeks old at the moment.

I mean this as no disrespect to the founders so pls dont get too upset, but it is pretty common knowledge that PRC govt has folk that trawl various blogs and forums throughout the globe (pertaining to china) and posting propaganda on such sites. ac_nutbag could even be one, who knows! :laughing:

so, i hope chinarising doesnt slide further into one sided discussions.

Hi there,

You’ll have to excuse the first impressions. The first group of articles posted on your forum looks like, sounds like, reads like “re-worded” PRC propaganda writings. Hence the strong reactions here.

It will take more time to develop and then we’ll see how it goes. I think it’s too early to tell one way or another. But I would have to agree with the majority of posters here that so far it doesn’t look like you are anything more than a mouth piece for the CCP.

Regards,[/quote]

I think the reason some members here may percieve a propagandistic tone in the articles because they themselves have been exposed to anti-PRC media for too long. And anything that argues for the other side is automatically labeled as “propaganda.” Again, all that I ask for is an open mind and willingness to at least read the articles before dismissing them as garbage just upon reading the title.

By the way, China-Rising.org is truly open to all viewpoints. If someone writes a well-thought pro-Taiwan-independence article, I would be more than happy to post it. The website is ultimately a China-watchers website. It just so happens that the founders are pro-PRC.

That site scares me. It’s frightening to see that there are people like XiaoRong and cheapfujianese around that seem to be able to argue and discuss the PRC party line eloquently, coherently and with good manners. I thought they were all just raving looneys like … like our own two resident PRC nutjobs.
Who knows, maybe that means they also have people who can actually hit Taiwan with those 500 missiles they have trained on us.

[quote=“sandman”]That site scares me. It’s frightening to see that there are people like XiaoRong and cheapfujianese around that seem to be able to argue and discuss the PRC party line eloquently, coherently and with good manners. I thought they were all just raving looneys like … like our own two resident PRC nutjobs.
Who knows, maybe that means they also have people who can actually hit Taiwan with those 500 missiles they have trained on us.[/quote]

I consider your remarks offensive. I am not a stooge of the PRC, and I have readily criticized the PRC govt. over the years on many issues pertaining to civil rights, minority rights and yes, even on Taiwan.

However, I do not support Taiwanese independence for the reasons that I have consistently presented. I don’t think this makes me a “propagandist” any more than it makes those who support Taiwanese independence for their own reasons. As Xiao stated, I think that many here have been indoctrinated in anti-PRC and anti-China propaganda for too long, that’s why they cannot even contemplate the legitimacy of any view concerning Taiwanese Independence that is not coherent with their own.

Maybe if some of the posters on chinarising toned it down a bit, their posts would seem less like propaganda and more like reasoned debate.

There’s one thread that sticks in my mind. A thread about why mainlanders in Taiwan should not be called ‘foreigners’. Apparently, they should be called compatriots instead. It reads like something straight off the pages of The People’s Daily. It’s not just the content, it’s the tone.

china-rising.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=282

Sandman - straight over their heads I’m afraid! :notworthy:

Cheap,

It’s unfortunate some of these forumosans prefer snide and ad hominem remarks over serious debate. But they probably had nothing of significance to say in the first place. Straight over their heads, indeed.

[quote=“cheapfujianese”][quote=“sandman”]That site scares me. It’s frightening to see that there are people like XiaoRong and cheapfujianese around that seem to be able to argue and discuss the PRC party line eloquently, coherently and with good manners. I thought they were all just raving looneys like … like our own two resident PRC nutjobs.
Who knows, maybe that means they also have people who can actually hit Taiwan with those 500 missiles they have trained on us.[/quote]

I consider your remarks offensive. I am not a stooge of the PRC, and I have readily criticized the PRC govt. over the years on many issues pertaining to civil rights, minority rights and yes, even on Taiwan.

However, I do not support Taiwanese independence for the reasons that I have consistently presented. I don’t think this makes me a “propagandist” any more than it makes those who support Taiwanese independence for their own reasons. As Xiao stated, I think that many here have been indoctrinated in anti-PRC and anti-China propaganda for too long, that’s why they cannot even contemplate the legitimacy of any view concerning Taiwanese Independence that is not coherent with their own.[/quote]

Read again, and think before you type.
You missed the point entirely and made yourself look silly.

[quote=“Spack”]Maybe if some of the posters on chinarising toned it down a bit, their posts would seem less like propaganda and more like reasoned debate.

There’s one thread that sticks in my mind. A thread about why mainlanders in Taiwan should not be called ‘foreigners’. Apparently, they should be called compatriots instead. It reads like something straight off the pages of The People’s Daily. It’s not just the content, it’s the tone.

China-rising.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=282[/quote]

Well, as we do not control the remarks of extremist TI supporters, we also do not control the remarks of those who are staunchly pro-PRC either. Each member’s remarks reflect their own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the forum in general.

Xiao-- you’re right. I am disappointed in the constant petty and snide remarks offered instead of meaningful dialogue.

[quote=“XiaoRongJi1202”]Cheap,

It’s unfortunate some of these forumosans prefer snide and ad hominem remarks over serious debate. But they probably had nothing of significance to say in the first place. Straight over their heads, indeed.[/quote]

He was, in some way, saying something positive about the site, in a small way. But, that went straight over your heads and you missed the point entirely.

I wonder what anti-PRC propaganda we pick up in countries with a free press ? (pro-PRC countries if anything). Or maybe we can see with out own eyes that Taiwan is as seperate from the PRC as the USA is from the UK.

The wind and the sun were arguing over who was more powerful. The sun boasted about its radiance and beauty, the warmth it provides. The wind bragged about its presence regardless the time of day, its ability to uproot trees and cause devastation. The sun noticed a man walking in the street, and he challenged the wind to get the man to remove his coat. The wind began to blow, and the man pulled the ends of his coat closer together. The wind grew stronger, and the man reacted by buttoning up his coat and pulling up his collar. As the ferocity of the wind grew, the man only pulled his coat closer around him, to provide him the needed warmth. The wind saw he could not accomplish the task, and challenged the sun to do such. The sun started shining and the temperature began to rise. First, the man loosened his grip on his coat. As it grew hotter, he unbuttoned his coat. The temperature grew so pleasant and warm that the man finally removed his coat.

Try being the sun, not the wind, if you want to win Taiwan. Why do you think Taiwan doesn’t want to be close to the PRC ?