New Year Bonus after six months?

Would employees expect a bonus after working only half a year? Or would they have to be in a job at least a year? Not really sure how this works. Asked a few people and the most common response is “it depends…”

I know a lot of companies will multiply whatever bonus is being handed out by a percentage of time that they work that year. So, if 2 months bonus was being handed out, then for 6 months that would be times 0.5 and they would get one month. Usually its company policy and everyone would know it. But, end of year bonuses are very much up to the employer, sometimes they say “bad year, no bonus for anyone” sometimes, or I should say usually, they have a lower and higher limit and hand out in a way that they think reflects performance and although I never worked in an English school, I have heard of bosses giving the Taiwanese staff bonuses and not the foreign teachers. So, in short, it depends.

I went to a New Year’s Dinner last week.
Everyone got a red envelope, except me.
So, I found an excuse and left the dinner party.

I think everyone gets a bonus and if you’re there for six month only, the bonus is cut in half accordingly.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]I went to a New Year’s Dinner last week.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that Hamletintaiwan, I guess you may be thinking of leaving more than the dinner party, if so and I know you asked no ones opinion but try to line something up before you jump ship. After new year lots of people will be doing the same and there should be plenty of opportunities.

Been in Taiwan for 13 years, worked at three different schools. None of the foreigners ever got a bonus. I sure know how to choose schools!! :unamused:

I’ve only ever got one from once school I’ve worked at in the 14 years I’ve been living in Taiwan on and off but I’ve also worked at that school for a number of years now and got one every Chinese year. It’s gone up with the amount of service I’ve given them. Talking to other foreigners in the area mine was very generous last year.

I’d say most employees wouldn’t expect one after only six months service but would very happy to receive one regardless of the amount.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]I went to a New Year’s Dinner last week.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that Hamletintaiwan, I guess you may be thinking of leaving more than the dinner party, if so and I know you asked no ones opinion but try to line something up before you jump ship. After new year lots of people will be doing the same and there should be plenty of opportunities.[/quote]

Give with one hand, take away with the other.

I’ve worked at four companies (well, that’s if you count a buxiban as a company) and never received an annual bonus because I’ve always been an on-contract employee rather than a regular. Sucks, but at least I get a higher pay than most of my coworkers.

Also as far as my friends and extended family go, I’d say the majority of employers don’t offer any CNY bonus until you’ve been there a full year.

I work in academia. I got one, pro-rata, and that was after moving on to another position. As you say OP, it depends…

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]I went to a New Year’s Dinner last week.

I think everyone gets a bonus and if you’re there for six month only, the bonus is cut in half accordingly.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, are you the only foreign teacher at your school? I did get a bonus at one school I worked for, which was quite a shock to me the first year because I never saw it coming.

My foreign coworkers and I received a 2.2 kg sack of pork jerky in lieu of a fat red envelope last year, no matter how long we had been working there. The newest employee had been there for 3 months, the oldest 8 years.

My wife, who is Taiwanese, just started working at her company before last year’s CNY and she received a half month’s salary in cash, an iPad and a 45" LCD TV.

Yeah. I would say it depends. :fume:

I am not sure what industry you working in. I work in IT and I joined my present employer in July 2013 and on Jan 2014(CNY), I did receive a bonus of nearly 50K ntd. Having said that, It all depends on your boss and management. Most companies do give some bonus independent of the time you have been working, (In my company even the individuals who had just completed 3 months at the time of CNY, did get some bonus , though I am not sure how much).

[quote=“oranjeboom”]My foreign coworkers and I received a 2.2 kg sack of pork jerky in lieu of a fat red envelope last year, no matter how long we had been working there. The newest employee had been there for 3 months, the oldest 8 years.

My wife, who is Taiwanese, just started working at her company before last year’s CNY and she received a half month’s salary in cash, an iPad and a 45" LCD TV.

Yeah. I would say it depends. :fume:[/quote]

I am only guessing that your monthly salary is higher than your wife’s. I think a lot of bosses view foreign(Western) workers as under worked and overpaid to begin with.

that’s what I meant by give with one hand but take away with the other. Bosses and managers here are usually mean sons of bitches.

WHAT?!?!
That’s discrimination.

WHAT?!?!
That’s discrimination.[/quote]
umm… this is Taiwan. Discrimination and racism are the norm here.

WHAT?!?!
That’s discrimination.[/quote]
umm… this is Taiwan. Discrimination and racism are the norm here.[/quote]
Yes, but you cannot take that lying down. I don’t think you should get mad or try to get even, but you should definitely lodge a formal complaint to whoever is in charge of bonuses.
They will feel embarrassed and have a hard time defending themselves; because lets face it, there’s not much they can use to defend themselves.

I have always been under the same bonus system as my Taiwanese colleagues. Even in small companies.