New Year freeway travel

Planning on travelling by car this New Year?

From the horse’s mouth:

[quote=“MTC”]Expressways will be toll-free as follows: From 12 a.m. to 3 p.m. on January 27, February 1 and February 4; from 12 a.m. to 12 p.m. on January 28; from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. from January 29-31, on February 2 and 3, and on February 5.

Moreover, the Sun Yat-sen Freeway and the Northern Second Freeway will implement carpooling traffic controls – allowing only large cars, taxicabs and compact cars with more than three people to access the freeways – on January 28 from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the southbound direction, as well as February 1 and February 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the northbound direction.[/quote]

[quote=“redwagon”]Planning on travelling by car this New Year?

think that’ll mean they won’t allow heavy trucks etc. on the roads during these times? I doubt it since that’d make sense and we all know how the govt. avoids common sense in their decisions and policies like the plague…

Also you can bet that 80% of people who are planning to use the freeway during these peak times are fully aware of the “law” but are the type of assholes who think they are special and the 4 people per car “law” is only for other people… Plus can you actually imagine a scene where a Taiwanese cop does his job and turns away a car with only 3 people in it despite torrents of “but we’re special” bickering and whining?

I predict full scale traffic meltdown… It’s the single most traditional element of Chinese New Years :smiley:

Heh heh. My favorite tradition is the line of cars you see at 11:40pm, parked on the hard shoulder waiting for the toll collectors to go home at midnight. 20 minutes of gas in exchange for a NT$40 ticket. :notworthy:

Hmm, now how to get around this full car thing…? I know, I’ll ask old BroonAle if I can borrow Geraldine for the duration, and a couple of her friends! :rainbow: