New Year's Resolutions?

I found it helpful to introduce a title for the old year and a motto (title) for the new one.

last year:

2004: PAIN AND TORTURE (OK, It was my worst so far, health problem due to climate change coming to Taiwan, marriage problems, culture problems, company broke)

and I was choosing for 2005: RECONSTRUCTION (physical and … emotionaly and financial)

this year:

2005: TINY LITTLE PAIN IN THE … LOWER BACKSIDE

2006: WARP BACK HOME (parents aging rapidly, leftover dog also, I start to really hate NeiHu, my job here virtually consists of surfing forumosa, so I want to get a well paid job back home again)

Not sure if I manage the home run this time

:blush:

Here’s a really good article I read in today’s TT about resolutions. I think anyone serious about theirs should give it a once over and print it out. Sound advice from a Nobel Laureate.

The power of `those’ resolutions

[quote]
So argues one of the economics profession’s greatest experts on conflict, Thomas Schelling, who shared the 2005 Nobel in economic science for, in the words of the citation, “having enhanced our understanding of conflict and cooperation through game-theory analysis.”…

The problem, he suggested, is that pretty much everybody suffers from a split personality. One self desperately wants to lose weight or quit smoking or get up early to work. The other wants dessert or a cigarette or loves sleep.

Both selves are equally valid, and equally rational about pursuing their desires. But they do not exist at the same time.

“What I have in mind is an act or decision that a person takes decisively at some particular point in time, about which the person’s preferences differ from what they were earlier, when the prospect was contemplated but the decision was still in the future,” he wrote in Ethics, Law and the Exercise of Self-Command.

“If the person could make the final decision about that action at the earlier time, precluding a later change in mind, he would make a different choice from what he knows will be his choice on that later occasion.”[/quote]