🇺🇸 USA | New York and Washington D.C

Folks, I’m going to the Eastern USA in January to work on an innovation program for a few days. I’m taking my oldest son with me (20 years old). He’s Taiwanese and has never seen the USA. Once I finish, we start our tour. I’ll do a day on Civil War sites and a day in Philly, see Princeton and some friends in New Jersey for a day, then take a week in NYC and DC.

Where should I stay when we are touring NYC? Where do I find a nice place that won’t cost too much ($100-150 a night is okay)?

Same thing for DC. Where do I find a place to stay?

I’ll have a car but prefer to take the subway most days.

Cheers,

Tomas

I don’t do NY much, but I sometimes have to travel to DC. The last trip I made there (September), the cheapest hotel I could find in the city near the Metro was $189 a night. You might find something cheaper but it would either be far from the Metro or in a not-so-good neighborhood. You would probably do better to stay in a suburb farther out, someplace the Metro runs if you’re planning to use that for transportation anyway. Then again, if you use a site like Agoda you might find something discounted.

I used to stay in a really cheesy place that was cheap but really peeling, near Dupont Circle, but I can’t recall the name and I gave it up after they just explained that the elevator was “out” and wouldn’t be repaired for two weeks or so. Third floor room in the summer wasn’t fun. And that was before I got into ultra-light travel.

HI Tomas

NYC is tons of fun really. IM not sure Id prefer winter over summer there tho. But the statue of liberty and ellis island (one boat to both) is nice. The MEt museum is a pretty much must see, the empire state bldg. Etc.

The subways are pretty efficient really. Not clean and nice like Taipei’s but workable.

I stayed at this hotel (hotel 31 and its sister hotel Hotel 17 on a different occasion). BOth were small but workable, afterall you aint gonna be all day in your room right? Walking distance to Empire State Bldg too.

REviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review … _York.html

It donta breaka da bank see?

Hey not stopping by SF?? IF you are, gimme a holler, take ya to the Pyramid Ale House in berkeley (they brew the beer there).

New York is a crap shoot. There are hidden bargains and there are big brand well-known that are in another price bracket. But they have the quality.

D.C. - a few recommends:
Located in Alexandria - very convenient to D.C. sites.
All can provide a room within your price range.

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area Hotel.- its right by the King St Metro.
Key Bridge Marriott
Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria
Embassy Suites Alexandria - Old Town Hotel
Hilton Alexandria Old Town
I DO NOT recommend the Holiday Inn in Alexandria.

And, of course, there is always the Watergate…:smiley:

If you’re going to NYC, you might want to stay in a hotel in Jersey City (and take the PATH in) or somewhere Brooklyn. You probably shouldn’t try your luck in Queens.

In DC, try to stay in Virginia, near to a Metro stop. Significantly cheaper, though the Metro in DC has hours similar to those in Taiwan and youc an get stranded and face a $50USD+ taxi ride back.
There is a Comfort Inn near/on M Street close to the Convention Center (best deal I’ve ever had there) and a bunch of motels lined up on New York Ave. NYAve can be downright dangerous though and your car is probably not safe and you’d have to take a taxi into the city center.

sigh I love DC. Make sure to go to the Air and Space Museum. Walk the Mall late at night. Absolutely beautiful.
Spend cheaply on attractions and save your money for the restaurants (cause they are delish, but damn expensive)

Why not? My wife and I just got back from NYC a couple of weeks ago and we stayed at this Sheraton hotel in Queens. The subway line 7 runs directly to the hotel, which was clean and affordable. Our rate was $139 a night, but I think the norm is $159 a night. It took about a half hour to get to Grand Central Station on an easy, direct route.

By the way, Tomas, that hotel happens to be right in the middle of the Queens Chinatown, and there are lots of cheap, good places to eat nearby if you get tired of Manhattan prices.

That wasn’t my experience. When were you there last? I expected the subways to be filthy but found them very clean.

2005 I think. I dont mean they were dirty, but they are not modern and large like the Taipei MRT (of course cuz they are what , a hundred years old?).

the trains were nice and clean.

If you would like to stay in a slightly bohemian and reasonably priced place in Manhattan, I’d really recommend:

carltonarms.com/

I stay there every time I’m in NY and just love it.

Some reviews:
maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en … CGcQ4gkwAA

The Chelsea, a real New York experience.

Not ideal if you require two beds, but for a couple it’s one of the better deals in the city.
chelsealodge.com/

Fantastic responses! Thank you very much.

Now, if I could only narrow down my list of activities.

What do you think are “Must Dos” for the following?

1. Philadelphia in a Day
  2. Princeton, NJ in a Day
  3. NYC in Three Days
  4. DC in Four Days

Cheers,

Tomas

Why not? My wife and I just got back from NYC a couple of weeks ago and we stayed at this Sheraton hotel in Queens.[/quote]

Because bedbugs in Queens is a serious problem.
Seriously. And no its not like “Bedbugs are everywhere!” Queens for whatever reason has had the largest issue in recent years.

[quote=“Tomas”]Fantastic responses! Thank you very much.

Now, if I could only narrow down my list of activities.

What do you think are “Must Dos” for the following?

1. Philadelphia in a Day
  2. Princeton, NJ in a Day
  3. NYC in Three Days
  4. DC in Four Days

Cheers,

Tomas[/quote]

If you’re gung-ho on Philly, map your route out very well. Incredibly dangerous in parts and not exactly amazing site seeing.

I would change the itinerary to include Boston and exclude Philly. Boston, is really nice if you can brave the cold. AND maybe you can catch a hockey game somewhere along the line!!! sooo jealous.
OR, you could take a trip to upstate New York, freeze your ass off while drinking hot cocoa, go skiing or something and see the mountains and stay in a lodge/local inn. You can even bring me back some fresh honey and maple syrup :wink: :thumbsup:

If you by some chance would actually want to venture to upstate NY, PM and I can give you some more detailed ideas- far and close to the city.

In DC, go to as many museums as possible and walk the Mall at night (as I stated before), but also make time to go to the neighborhoods like Adam’s Morgan and Dupont Circle where you’ll see all fo the yuppie culture and vibes. Excellent cafes and bars with live music. Perfect for a 20 year old to warm up in.

Princeton, NJ - Visit Princeton university. Grab some excellent beer and burgers at Triumph Brewing Company.

NYC - See a Broadway show. We saw “Wicked” and loved it. The American Museum of Natural History is excellent, and I highly recommend it. We didn’t get a chance to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, but we wished we had. Both museums are gigantic and merit an entire day each. Visit Central Park, hopefully the Christmas market will still be up. Eat dinner in Little Italy. Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Avenues really are fun to walk up and down. There’s lots of great shopping of course, plus Rockefeller Center, Times Square, etc.

I’ve never been to DC or Philadelphia, can’t help you there.

[quote=“ChewDawg”]If you would like to stay in a slightly bohemian and reasonably priced place in Manhattan, I’d really recommend:

carltonarms.com/

Some reviews:
maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en … CGcQ4gkwAA[/quote]

That looks great! Their website shows the rate as $130 per night for two people, and includes a private bathroom. And it’s in Manhattan. Tomas, that looks like the best option so far for NYC lodging.

[quote=“Gao Bohan”][quote=“ChewDawg”]If you would like to stay in a slightly bohemian and reasonably priced place in Manhattan, I’d really recommend:

carltonarms.com/

Some reviews:

That looks great! Their website shows the rate as $130 per night for two people, and includes a private bathroom. And it’s in Manhattan. Tomas, that looks like the best option so far for NYC lodging.[/quote]

Newbs!
Try somewhere with real sheets, eh.
http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/
http://www.travelzoo.com/ap/-139-NYC-Upgraded-Room-at-Newly-Renovated-Hotel-40-Off-1159518/

[quote=“Gao Bohan”][quote=“ChewDawg”]If you would like to stay in a slightly bohemian and reasonably priced place in Manhattan, I’d really recommend:

carltonarms.com/

Some reviews:

That looks great! Their website shows the rate as $130 per night for two people, and includes a private bathroom. And it’s in Manhattan. Tomas, that looks like the best option so far for NYC lodging.[/quote]

Doesn’t appeal to me, sorry. I like the one Tommy suggested, and it’s in Chelsea. Tommy and I have similar taste in such things, believe it or not.

Thanks Lili. I love Boston too, have never seen Philly.

Two more:

What do I do with the car while I’m in NYC? Park it at the airport or something?

Could I possibly stay in a wooded area in New Jersey, Long Island, CN, or somewhere else and take a train in every day? Is that feasible if I don’t mind 40 minutes of commute, or would I be out of range? An hour each way is too long. 30-40 minutes is okay.

Actually that does look better. I usually just skim over tommy’s posts so I didn’t click the link. :wink:

[quote=“Tomas”]Thanks Lili. I love Boston too, have never seen Philly.

Two more:

What do I do with the car while I’m in NYC? Park it at the airport or something?

Could I possibly stay in a wooded area in New Jersey, Long Island, CN, or somewhere else and take a train in every day? Is that feasible if I don’t mind 40 minutes of commute, or would I be out of range? An hour each way is too long. 30-40 minutes is okay.[/quote]

I suggested Jersey City cause of the car. Though you will have to check for which side of the street on which days to park.
Dont do a commute from LIsland because the LIRR will cost you about $40/day between you and the son. Might as well just park the car in the City. Tehere are plenty of places to park the car overnigth safely. That shouldn’t be a problem. Itll just cost you about $50-75usd.
Oh, also, the bridges to get on and off theisland of Manhattan will run you about $8usd/one way (last I checked in the summer).

Oh and seriously, you’re wasting your time in Philly. Much better to have that extra day or two of rest/walking around DC.