NewBees vs. Old Timers

Is there some kind of actuarial table you’re referencing here??[/quote]

Uh, no.

I’ll modify the table a bit; but you can offer your input if you want.

0-1 years: still a newb

1-2 years: extended newb

2-5 years: mid-timer

5-10 years: long-timer

10-15 years: me-love-you-long-timer

15+ years: old-timer…?

Of course there will be differing schools of thought on this chart. Any discussion is welcome as long as no one calls me a muppet because I cry easily. ha ha ha

For example, even if I end up staying here for 15 years I don’t think I’ll ever attain old-timer status because I never lived in Taiwan during martial law, or when there were dirt roads in Taipei. So perhaps you can only really be an old-timer if you can prove that you lived in Taiwan before 1986.

Is there some kind of actuarial table you’re referencing here??[/quote]

Uh, no.

I’ll modify the table a bit; but you can offer your input if you want.

0-1 years: still a newb

1-2 years: extended newb

2-5 years: mid-timer

5-10 years: long-timer

10-15 years: me-love-you-long-timer

15+ years: old-timer…?

Of course there will be differing schools of thought on this chart. Any discussion is welcome as long as no one calls me a muppet because I cry easily. ha ha ha

For example, even if I end up staying here for 15 years I don’t think I’ll ever attain old-timer status because I never lived in Taiwan during martial law, or when there were dirt roads in Taipei. So perhaps you can only really be an old-timer if you can prove that you lived in Taiwan before 1986.[/quote]

You’re all FNGs to me…

[quote=“the chief”]
You’re all FNGs to me…[/quote]

Forumosa’s New Generation?

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“the chief”]

Forumosa’s New Generation?[/quote]

Yeah, something like that…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“the chief”]

Forumosa’s New Generation?[/quote]

Yeah, something like that…[/quote]

Genius.

the chief: That c*** CKS, fuckin FOB, yapping about not getting his deposit back from Mao! What does he expect, he left halfway through. And on with the stoopid Qs! It’s ‘Where can I find a hollowed out mountain to hide my looted porcelain?’ this, and ‘If I annex a country that isn’t on my ARC will the tax office bust me and make me marry a local?’ that. And his Chinese is so shit he couldn’t get a tea egg in a 7-11. I’ll tell yer this fer nought, if that kid breeds on this island …

I have an american client who has been here 43 years… I’m such a newbie compared to him only 20 years… and of course my son has been here nearly 15 years on an ARC.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”]
For example, even if I end up staying here for 15 years I don’t think I’ll ever attain old-timer status because I never lived in Taiwan during martial law, or when there were dirt roads in Taipei. So perhaps you can only really be an old-timer if you can prove that you lived in Taiwan before 1986.[/quote]

If you stay on a bit longer, you might become one of the “old timers” who were here before reunification!

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]I’m sure this topic game up in the “you’ve been here too long” or the “why aren’t foreigner friendly to other foreigners” topics. But it’s strange.

Back in my day (I’m in my 40’s) I would travel. Meet those odd looking grey haired foregners say in Paris or outside a McDonalds in Tainan. I’d get to meet them. Maybe not invite them into my home, but I’d have coffee, listen to their stories or whatnot. Like the Gratefuldead song, "look into every eye your find value… " I’d at least learn something or at least be entertained.

Stories of Marshal law, stories of extra services being offered in MTV’s etc. I’ve been here since the end of the "slavery of foreigner spouse era to the almost free and easy market place of no work permits and fair laws (-thank Hartzel et al)

Newcomers just don’t seem to be interested in any incites, stories or anything that we have to offer. YOu watch as they go blindly through their jobs or being cheated by their bosses or even missing opportunities to get into the inner circle (drinking with the relatives, eathing stinky Tofu and chicken feet)

Maybe it’s my lazy eye, Einstien like hair (what’s left of it anyway) or non stylish clothing. But heck, I’ve got a house, car family and a source of income… at most people should be interested and say "how did this guy survive here for so long. Incidentally the average life of a foreigner not from South Africa in my village working for a language school is six months. They run away…
There goes an other one… I’d say… Now pass me the betel nut…[/quote]

I have two thoughts here.
Firstly part of the excitement of moving to a new country is the enjoyment of making mistakes and of struggling through things. The first time I went to Japan my school filed for my gaijin card. The second time I did it myself. It took fricking ages to do it alone, but the satisfaction of the achievement made the struggle more enjoyable.
Secondly, settling in Tawain, especially Taipei isn’t really all that hard. Stories of the past are fine and interesting, but they aren’t relevant to what Taiwan is like now. Taipei really is quite a modern city to live in. It’s not like moving to Fez in the Moroccan sticks. So the basic issues are rent, and job, and possibly a scooter. Food is too easy to sort out and the constant debate about Taiwanese food just highlights how dull some people’s lives are. Food is food. Find what you like, shove it in yer gob and move along. It isn’t a fricking topic for debate. Jobs are easy to come by if you are willing to be patient. And accommodation is simply a matter of looking on the internet. I once sorted out a job, a new apartment, and a car without even leaving my bed, and that was in the middle of bumfuck city.

So I guess that old timers are not needed by newbies because they don’t need the help, and the stories are not relevant to them.

You do not, and I repeat: NOT understand Taiwan culture!

:wink:

Hogwash. If one is what one ingests, then all foods, and most especially their level of sanitary preparation, are most assuredly not equal. Hence, it’s quite reasonable to debate the pros & cons of ANY culture’s food. Anything to do with taste and it’s inherent subjectivity is surely open to debate.

“Shove it in yer gob.”
There’s limey food for you. A culture whose food has historically been deemed downright nasty by any standard, that the inbred elites that made up British aristocracy had to hack out an world empire just to improve the wretched slop that they had to force down their gin-sotted gullets.

Food is not really a problem any more. If the new bees only knew what we had to go through to get a decent cheeseburger ten years ago…

Well, I guess I’m once again on the wrong wavelength, because I’ve generally felt that the old-timers were being a little on the miserly side about sharing their experience here. I’ve always kind of wished they’d empty the contents of their brains on the site, or at least those parts of their brains that pertain to living here.

As far as I’m concerned all sharing of experiences is welcome (unless the sharing will get someone in trouble), including stories, and whether by newcomers, old-timers, or anyone in any stage in between.

Hogwash. If one is what one ingests, then all foods, and most especially their level of sanitary preparation, are most assuredly not equal. Hence, it’s quite reasonable to debate the pros & cons of ANY culture’s food. Anything to do with taste and it’s inherent subjectivity is surely open to debate.

“Shove it in yer gob.”
There’s limey food for you. A culture whose food has historically been deemed downright nasty by any standard, that the inbred elites that made up British aristocracy had to hack out an world empire just to improve the wretched slop that they had to force down their gin-sotted gullets.[/quote]

Wait. GOOD food is a topic for debate. Food is not. And Taiwanese food is most assuredly rarely good food. There is no point discussing which shit looks better on a plate. And In Taiwan you can find anything, from crappy food to great food really easily.

Well, I guess I’m once again on the wrong wavelength, because I’ve generally felt that the old-timers were being a little on the miserly side about sharing their experience here. I’ve always kind of wished they’d empty the contents of their brains on the site, or at least those parts of their brains that pertain to living here.

As far as I’m concerned all sharing of experiences is welcome (unless the sharing will get someone in trouble), including stories, and whether by newcomers, old-timers, or anyone in any stage in between.[/quote]

Advice is not always welcome, as some people take it to mean that they’re DOING IT WRONG. Anyway, not everyone is doing the same thing or living the same life, so often it’s just not applicable, even discounting the differences between then and now.

I’ve taken to just making up random numbers, times and information when I’m asked the Usual Questions.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

“Shove it in yer gob.”
There’s limey food for you. A culture whose food has historically been deemed downright nasty by any standard, that the inbred elites that made up British aristocracy had to hack out an world empire just to improve the wretched slop that they had to force down their gin-sotted gullets.[/quote]

Hey, take the race hate down a notch!

My Italian pal loves Brit food because it’s so eclectic and assimilative. While he likes Italian food very much, he goes to London just to eat. And saying ‘yebbut, that’s not BRITISH food’ is like saying the people who cook it aren’t British either: they are and it is.

The differrence is, that Brits tend to be less focused on stuff like that. Pleasure and comfort are good things, but they shouldn’t rule your life. The Italian frequently comments on how few Brits use umbrellas. It’s the same way of thinking. It’s considered effete, lazy and selfish to mess around feeding yourself elegantly prepared dishes three times a day, every day.

“Shove it in yer gob.”

Wait. GOOD food is a topic for debate. Food is not. And Taiwanese food is most assuredly rarely good food. There is no point discussing which shit looks better on a plate. And In Taiwan you can find anything, from crappy food to great food really easily.[/quote]

That’s just your vagina talking…

[quote=“the chief”]

That’s just your vagina talking…[/quote]

And you, shut your craphole…

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“the chief”]

And you, shut your craphole…[/quote]

You don’t scare me, lady.
What are you going to do…

…change me into a CAT???

[quote=“the chief”]

Hey which is better bro fried chickens feet, or fish eyeballs?