Newbie FAQ

[quote=“twocs”]As for the format of the newbie post FAQ, I’d suggest that there be a fake post with rollovers for all the parts of the post. Then you can cover general questions like “What’s IGNORE”, “What’s PROFILE”, “What’s HISTORY”, “SEND PM”, “What’s WWW” while conserving space.

When Mr. n00b rolls over the avatar, information about how to choose a new avatar can pop up. Rolling over the name can let him know that it’s possible to change your name, or even how to choose a good name.
[/quote]

Hey, that’s a great idea!!! :rainbow:

Q: Why does everyone gang up on me and flame my posts?

A: Because you’re new to the forum, and it’ll take awhile for others to get used to your style of posting.

Q: How do I get started on Forumosa?

A: First of all, welcome! We

Can you make Forumosa thought-controlled ? so we don’t have to use the keyboard to type. That will make it much easier to use. I’ll pick up my t-shirts at the next happy hour, thanks.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Q: Why does everyone gang up on me and flame my posts?

A: Because you’re new to the forum, and it’ll take awhile for others to get used to your style of posting.[/quote]

I’d like to see two different sections.

One can be the mechanics of posting. The how to do it. Avatars, why you can’t edit temp forum posts etc.

The second and to me much more difficult section is pretty much summed up by Mordeth above.

How do I go about posting messages and mixing with this expat online community on the boards and In Real Life (IRL)?

Take it very slowly. Read forums and perhaps follow a frequent posters messages to see how they post and react to others posts.

Above all else don’t attack another poster. Stick to the message and treat other posters with the same respect you’d like to receive in turn.

Why post on Forumosa when I can just read it?

I can’t answer that one for anyone else. I guess you could just search and read the relevant sections to your life right now. Noisy neighbours. Health check information etc.

My take on it is the IRL part of the community. Posting gives you more chance to interact with other expats and form friendships that can make your stay on the Island either more bearable or downright enjoyable.

Finish.

That’s about it from me and Asahi beer for today.

Ironman is a very nice man who does not drink beer at 0930 in the middle of a rainstorm when he has to drive home.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Mordeth”]Q: Why does everyone gang up on me and flame my posts?

A: Because you’re new to the forum, and it’ll take awhile for others to get used to your style of posting.[/quote]

I’d like to see two different sections.

One can be the mechanics of posting. The how to do it. Avatars, why you can’t edit temp forum posts etc.

The second and to me much more difficult section is pretty much summed up by Mordeth above. [/quote]I think that’s a good suggestion. The first section was very well covered by Dragonbones. :notworthy:

The other section of the FAQ would indeed be a little more complicated because it’s not all black and white. I’ll try to remember some old Q and A I used to have as a newbee and maybe I will post again later.

I have had a pretty rough start here on Forumosa. I had just discovered the internet. I purchased my very first computer about four months before I registered on Forumosa as leo. I was banned, then rebanned as hatch and banned again under the name Armattan. To make a long story short because it’s all old memories already(time flies), I had ups and downs on Forumosa.

From being miserable, stalked, insulted, attacked, and bullied by many posters to getting kind responses, support, friendly mentions and just simply having fun posting and making friends.

The question is how did such a change happen? It’s pretty simple really and the answer to this question would be my best advice to anyone new or to anyone who’s having difficulties. I used to say “be nice” a lot. But what really works is to actually be nice. :wink: It’s that simple, just be nice.

Q:What’s up this internet thing? This cyberworld is weird or is it just me? Why not have a real life instead?

A:Forumosa is a very distinct bulletin board. It’s an online community. Forumosa helps improving the lives of many with loads of information and by creating access for its members and lurkers to several networks of people with similar interests in real life. What you read on the bulletin board is only a fraction of what Forumosa really is.

bobepine

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I’m locking this thread now. We’re working on the Newbie FAQ today, and will announce the winner of the 2 shirts this week :slight_smile:

If you would like to add other Q&A’s, email them to admin @ forumosa.com

Cheers :slight_smile: :notworthy: