Newbie for Taiwan

I want to hear from some that have been there and done that. Not necessarily looking for specific links to info as i can find that on my own. i want to hear straight from the horse’s mouth.

I have lived in China (Chengdu) for the last two years studying Chinese and teaching English. I’ve traveled to taiwan several times and really enjoyed it. I’m looking for a change of pace and I still want to improve my Chinese.

1. Living in Taipei is grad school a good idea for a foreigner with moderate language skills? How are the prices?

2)I have a degree and TEFL certificate and a few years teaching experience what can I expect to make if I look hard for the best work?

3)How difficult is it for foreigners to start a business in Taiwan and/or get longer stay visa? AGAIN I’m looking for personal experience stories not click and paste links. I’d like to interact a bit with those in the know = )

I’m 31 (unfortunately I look a lot younger) and I’m not looking to go to Taiwan to run away from anything. I just think it would be a great place to be close to Beaches, mountains, Chinese language, etc.

Your thoughts please!

[quote=“chinatraveling”]I want to hear from some that have been there and done that. Not necessarily looking for specific links to info as i can find that on my own. I want to hear straight from the horse’s mouth.

I have lived in China (Chengdu) for the last two years studying Chinese and teaching English. I’ve traveled to Taiwan several times and really enjoyed it. I’m looking for a change of pace and I still want to improve my Chinese.

1. Living in Taipei is grad school a good idea for a foreigner with moderate language skills? How are the prices?

2)I have a degree and TEFL certificate and a few years teaching experience what can I expect to make if I look hard for the best work?

3)How difficult is it for foreigners to start a business in Taiwan and/or get longer stay visa? AGAIN I’m looking for personal experience stories not click and paste links. I’d like to interact a bit with those in the know = )

I’m 31 (unfortunately I look a lot younger) and I’m not looking to go to Taiwan to run away from anything. I just think it would be a great place to be close to Beaches, mountains, Chinese language, etc.

Your thoughts please![/quote]

Hi I am 52 (unfortunately I look a lot older).
Beaches…not really ,bar a few,however not Thailand style.
Teaching…you will see on many threads it is getting hard to get a reasonable job here,I fear.You can expect to make very little according to the Teachers on Forumosa!.
Business…With around 500k NTD investment ,you MAY be able to become self-employed and obtain an ARC,difficult but a possibility I have been told (need to check)
Regards,Hope this helps,
The Horses’ Mouth.