Newbie needs help: looking for big bike

I’ve been in Taiwan about two years and have mostly been into hiking, but after doing the Taitung 51.5k triathlon last September and seeing the sheer joy of people finishing the 226k, I want to get into cycling more for and train for that. I’ve read through some of the threads and saw the post saying good luck finding a bike if you are over 5’11’’ in TW. Wow, is that proving to be true. I’m 6’3’’ so about 190cm and have a 34.5’’ or 88cm inseam. According to what I’ve checked online, my ideal size would be 23.5’’ or 60cm, but could possibly go down to 58cm. I am looking to bike around Taiwan this CNY and use this bike for upcoming triathlons (it doesn’t have to be anything super fast, just usable). While biking around Taiwan, I’d like to be able to go off finely paved roads a bit to explore.

At this bike store: 轉角單車 NO.20, LN. 456, GUANGFU S. RD., the very helpful owner A-fu found a bike that’s 58cm called a performance curve pri with SCRAM Apex, however, I can’t find this bike when I try to google it. He was showing it to me on a Chinese website which I forgot the name of. It cost 50,000 which is my maximum if I’m really getting good bang for my buck, but I’d ideally like to spend closer to 30-35k.

At the Giant store by Daan Park, they have an L (55.5cm) TCR2 giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik … /#geometry for 26,800. The woman tried to say that Giant makes their bicycles differently so that size would be suitable for me, is this true?

I’ve still got some other shops I need to check out, specifically Jimmy’s and Alan’s, but time is running out since I hope to start the huandao around February 2nd. But basically my question is, do either of the above bikes sounds good for what I need and are there any recommendations for bikes that can fit me? Oh, and any luck finding the Performance bike online? And anyone wanna bike around TW?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

the L Giant would likely be too small. Many manufacturers now make a limited range of sizes, to allow greater fit in one size, but the L is just gonna be too small for 6’3". the Performance is likely a new “no-name” brand, often made in China, but not likely that much less quality than a TCR2. The SRAM Apex is reasonable gear.

I’m 5’9" and ride an S Giant, but it’s just on the small side for me. I like 'em small. I also fit well on an M size Giant. In normal sizing I ride a 54, but find a 56 manageable (also find a 52 manageable). An L MAY fit you, but probably you’d feel happier on an L (about 60cm or so). Tri bars on an L with a long stem would put you WAY out the front of the bike.

Here is the Performer bike: spinburn.com.tw/performer/pr … cts_id=170

IS there anywhere I can find a Giant XL?

maybe not in Taiwan, and that’s the sticking point for you.

I find this big bike works for me :slight_smile: and i don’t need to pedal :discodance:

No, that is false. She’s either lying to get a sale or she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.
Stick with a min of 58, IMO.

I’m starting the huandao on Sat. Get it sorted and I’ll see you out there.

Hey, I love your username. Good luck climbing all 100!

If you find yourself in Taichung, you should check out Andrew Kerslake’s excellent list of independent bike shops there. I did, even though I live in Taipei, and I ended up finding the perfect bike for me–in Taipei, no less, because Specialized has stores in both cities. I’m just two centimeters shorter than you, so if I can find a bike, you can too. Of course, if you do triathlons, you’ll probably want one a lot lighter than my entry-level Tricross set up for touring (plus, I got the last XL :discodance:). No reason you can’t start your huandao trip from Taichung. In February, you might as well leave the north out anyway!

[quote=“shiadoa”]I find this big bike works for me :slight_smile: and I don’t need to pedal :discodance:
[/quote]

Very helpful, thank you sir. :slight_smile:

So does anyone know how I can get a 58cm bicycle?

[quote=“haokaiyang”]Hey, I love your username. Good luck climbing all 100!

If you find yourself in Taichung, you should check out Andrew Kerslake’s excellent list of independent bike shops there. I did, even though I live in Taipei, and I ended up finding the perfect bike for me–in Taipei, no less, because Specialized has stores in both cities. I’m just two centimeters shorter than you, so if I can find a bike, you can too. Of course, if you do triathlons, you’ll probably want one a lot lighter than my entry-level Tricross set up for touring (plus, I got the last XL :discodance:). No reason you can’t start your huandao trip from Taichung. In February, you might as well leave the north out anyway![/quote]

Thanks haokaiyang, I’m sure I’d like your username too if my Mandarin was good enough to decipher the meaning.

I just read through that blog and decided to go to Taichung this weekend and check out some of the shops. Thanks for the encouragement, I was just about ready to give up and settle for a smaller bike.

[quote=“Baiyue climber”][quote=“shiadoa”]I find this big bike works for me :slight_smile: and I don’t need to pedal :discodance:
[/quote]

So does anyone know how I can get a 58cm bicycle?[/quote]
Yes you can get one from USA and get it shipped really cheap if you find a very nice man to do it as a favour.(as long as you are not overly sarcastic to said man :slight_smile:

[quote=“Baiyue climber”][quote=“shiadoa”]I find this big bike works for me :slight_smile: and I don’t need to pedal :discodance:
[/quote]

So does anyone know how I can get a 58cm bicycle?[/quote]
PM sent…let me know. P.S. I apologise for being unhelpful. Just when i saw Big bike i got all excited :popcorn:

Haha, no problem. I’m waiting for your reply.

orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/3560922151.html

I found that: Trek 5900 SL Roadbike with Ultegra for $1195. Can anyone tell me if it’s a good deal? Thanks.

I’ve done a TON of research and strongly recommend this bike:

salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya

You will most likely need to import. Alan’s Bicycles is a QBP dealer and may be able to order one for you. Second to that, I would look into the Surly Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker. You should be able to order one of those as well.

Enjoy the hunt.

Wow, that looks like a great bike, a little out of my price range for now though. So Jimmy from the Daan Park shop got me in touch with his friend who works at a factory down in Taichung. I’m headed down there tomorrow to get a Merida custom-made I guess. Any recommendations for a Merida?

I nearly pulled the trigger on one of the Merida Cyclo Cross bikes. Disc brakes, nice gruppo, go anywhere tires. I decided on a more relaxed geometry so I could stay in the saddle longer and a bike with longer chain stays that accomodate a rack and panniers.

Merida and Giant are a great value if you can find the right one.

I guess it all depends on your goals.

By the way… I found Andrew’s blog @ taiwanincycles.blogspot.tw/ to be a great resource while searching for the perfect Taiwan bike. Lots of good reading there and a few posts on how to choose a bike.

Wow, the cyclocrosses look awesome, I sure hope they are on the menu. Do you remember which one you almost went for? What exactly do you mean by relaxed geometry?? Haha sorry.

So, relaxed geometry means any and all of these features: seat post sloped more to the rear, longer chain stays (rear wheel further back), front fork sloped more to the rear, handlebars further back behind the axle, handlebars higher, etc.

These features give you a bike that turns more slowly, is more stable at moderate speeds, can be ridden more upright, has the seat a little closer to the ground for the same correct seat to pedal distance, is easier to control while laden with extra gear (good for touring with baggage). Each cm of difference in length or degree of easing of the angles between tubes (‘steep’ means maybe 74-75˚while ‘relaxed’ can be anywhere from 72˚ to 70˚), makes the bike noticeably more relaxed to ride. Harder to ride fast, though.