Newborn registration

I’m told by the household registration office that I need a “certificate of singleness” to prove I’m not married in Canada before they’ll allow me to register my newborn son. Ummm, wtf? Does that mean that if by some chance I was married in Canada they wouldn’t allow me to be on his birth certificate? :loco:

Regardless if they really do need it…then it’s a huge hassle…again.

I don’t know, but congratulations on the newborn son. He’ll be bought up in the fast lane. I’m sure.

:bravo: Woohoo, Mordeth! A big congrats to ya! :slight_smile:

Mordeth

My guess is that the baby will go on your wife/gf’s household registration. If you want to be registered as the dad presumably you also need to be on the household registration and for that you will need the single certificate.

I am having similar issues, HK will not allow my wife to come as a dependent because her Taiwan household registration does not list her as married!

Good luck.

I may have this prob in the near future as I also expecting our daughter early next year…however if I already got marriage certificate from Taiwan court, do I still need a single certificate to register our baby cause to register my marriage in court, I need to provide single certificate from my country and we did that already…so do I need to provide another single certificate to register our baby? :astonished:

Streetspec - your marriage is registered so you should be cool.

[quote=“Mordeth”]I’m told by the household registration office that I need a “certificate of singleness” to prove I’m not married in Canada before they’ll allow me to register my newborn son. Ummm, wtf? Does that mean that if by some chance I was married in Canada they wouldn’t allow me to be on his birth certificate? :loco:

Regardless if they really do need it…then it’s a huge hassle…again.[/quote]
Didn’t you require this certificate in order to get married? I seem to remember that I did.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mordeth”]I’m told by the household registration office that I need a “certificate of singleness” to prove I’m not married in Canada before they’ll allow me to register my newborn son. Ummm, wtf? Does that mean that if by some chance I was married in Canada they wouldn’t allow me to be on his birth certificate? :loco:

Regardless if they really do need it…then it’s a huge hassle…again.[/quote]
Didn’t you require this certificate in order to get married? I seem to remember that I did.[/quote]

Yep, and I handed it in to get my “joining family” visa thingy. So I don’t have it anymore.

We were married and registered in Taiwan…and they still wanted to see it again. I just went there with my wife…and the guy asked if I have ever been married before. He said he needs to see it because he needs to know if I have any past wives. But he was nice enough and I just talked my way out of showing it. But if you’ll need one for the marriage visa anyway…so just save a copy…just in case.

Maybe it’s different for guys. I had to have a single cert to mary, but we registered our son’s birth without needing another one. That was in 2003.

I didn’t need one to marry. I just needed it for the Visa ID afterwards.

EDIT: No, I’m wrong…I did need one.

I didn’t need one to marry. I just needed it for the Visa ID afterwards.[/quote]

did u get married and register in the court? cause when u married in court (in front of a judge plus two witnesses), they require u to provide single certificate in order to get marriage certificate from them…so hopefully in my case, my marriage certificate from court will be enough to register my daughter…

Housecat, did u register ur marriage in court?

I didn’t need one to marry. I just needed it for the Visa ID afterwards.[/quote]

did u get married and register in the court? cause when u married in court (in front of a judge plus two witnesses), they require u to provide single certificate in order to get marriage certificate from them…so hopefully in my case, my marriage certificate from court will be enough to register my daughter…

Housecat, did u register your marriage in court?[/quote]

My “getting married” was much more simplier than the court method. We just walked into household registry and signed something. I had to give them something…hmmm…maybe it was the single certificate…but no judge…no witness. Oh…I remember there was a form…we had two people sign the form saying they witnessed us get married. Then we took that paper to the registry office.

Can’t you just get your wife to register him in that case? You can take care of the Swaziland passport stuff later. You ARE Swazi, right?

I had to have a “Single Certificate” to get married here in Taiwan. It was easy enough to get from our “Births, Deaths and Marriages” Dept from my State government back in Australia. I didn’t need one to be listed as the father on the birth certificate though. I know my wife (ex) took care of all the paper work for that, but she never asked me for the certificate or another copy of it.

I have also since removed myself and my boy from my in-laws Household Registration and had us put on his babysitters HR and all I had to take along with me was a copy of the old HR, my passport, ARC.

And Congrats Mordeth, I am sure you are estatic… :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“TaipeiSean”]

And Congrats Mordeth, I am sure you are estatic… :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Ecstatic? Not yet, but I’m sure it will come with time.

I made a vid about how I feel…it’s better than most of my others: youtube.com/watch?v=1Djf8F5D7y0

I married in 2000 in Taiwan in a court ceramony and registered that marriage. The crazy thing was that for the visa, I had to also marry my husband in the States. Not related to this accept that sometimes things are so illogical here as to be beyond understanding.

The US does not issue single certs, so I went to the TECO office and swore before another citizen that I was single in the States. They issued me a paper saying that I was single. Wasn’t that big a deal, just a bit of hassle.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“StreetSpec”][quote=“Mordeth”]

I married in 2000 in Taiwan in a court ceramony and registered that marriage. The crazy thing was that for the visa, I had to also marry my husband in the States. Not related to this accept that sometimes things are so illogical here as to be beyond understanding.

The US does not issue single certs, so I went to the TECO office and swore before another citizen that I was single in the States. They issued me a paper saying that I was single. Wasn’t that big a deal, just a bit of hassle.[/quote]

Sorry, my above quote is incorrect. I did need the single certificate. They no longer accept a sworn testimony from Canadians. So instead we need to get a non-marriage search. Which is still rather useless as it only applies to the province you get it from. So if you are already married…just get one from another province.