Newborns are so much work

My wife had ours in a private hosipital in Kaohsiung, there for a week, nurses taught us everything, fortunately my wifes insurance paid for it all too.

What I remember the most was the private room was more like a 5 star hotel!

And it gets easier as you go on, like most parents will tell you.

It gets more fun after 6 months old when they’re no longer like an inanimate object. Then it gets to be a lot of work again around 18 months when they start running everywhere and become emotionally defiant.

It’s a marathon. Not a race.

I haven’t been to the pub in a year and a half. It’s tough work. But you do it because you love your kid. :man_shrugging: It gets easier… a bit. Well, not really “easier.” Just a more fun kind of “difficult.”

The biggest drag is I’ll never have the time to play Red Dead Redemption 2 or any of the other cool video games coming out. :sob:

2 Likes

I would put my boys in a stroller and take them to outdoor bars. The great thing about stroller-age children is that you can dictate where to go. Once they start walking… that’s a different story

I’m going to be completely frank. I don’t trust myself around alcohol and my kid. I used to be one of those “3 drinks is too many, 4 drinks is not enough” people. So I don’t want to risk getting carried away and losing control while she’s in my care. Not until she’s old enough to take care of herself at least.

Great news! I just used abdominal massage to help the baby pass her first BM in about a week. I rubbed her belly for about twenty minutes, lied her down, and shortly after that we all heard a small explosion, loud enough to make everyone in the room jump in surprise.

I feel accomplished. Like I have done something very important.

Now hopefully she feels comfortable enough to go tf to sleep…

1 Like

I always found it a lot easier and certainly faster to just feed 'em some chili (with beans for best results), and it’s instant action.
Deffo no sittin around for 20 minutes.
Or even 20 seconds, for that matter

That plus some pineapple juice.

1 Like

Still in the breastmilk only stage, but I’ll keep that in mind…if I can ever find any canned beans around this place. I make a pretty good white chili.

I was dismayed at first to hear that she hadn’t passed stool in such a long time, but apparently it’s pretty common for babies that are entirely breastfed, since breastmilk contains basically everything they need so not much waste needs filtering out.

Uhhhh, you know that was a joke, right?

I’m aware. But I was also obliquely hoping you’d know where I could buy some beans.

Sorry, kiddo, you’re far to sincere for your own good.

What kind of beans specifically?

Pinto, great northern, navy.

Carrefour started stocking canned “small white beans” a few months ago. They work fine for Great Northern or Navy. Canned pinto are usually available there.

Dried pinto are around in most places where you can find dried pulses - organic stores, some markets, etc. I don’t think I’ve seen Great Northern or Navy, canned or dry, here (I get dried from iHerb), although you may find them at Trinity Indian - which is a fantastic source of lots of other dried pulses.

1 Like

My second was so dang easy. He cried maybe once a month. Why?

Wife stopped all processed food, alcohol, caffeine and anything spicy.

We really had to neglect him to make him cry!

But as soon as wife had something spicy he cried.

Of course he was feeding on the teet.

Interesting…I’ll pass the info along. I think my cousin is already very careful about her diet right now, though.

To be fair, isn’t the second time around always easier?

I personally thought two kids somehow made for three times as much work.

1 Like

My friend just found out he’s having triplets.

Of course he’s putting on his happy happy face for social media, but that’s not fooling me.

4 Likes

Can’t imagine having multiples…any more than two at once would make me feel like I’m giving birth to a litter of puppies or something. Plus the breastfeeding logistics…yikes.

I don’t even want twins. One healthy baby was more than enough. Don’t know how people with multiples handle it.

I can’t even imagine. I don’t know if it’s all of Taiwan but at least in Taipei twins and triplets get priority for daycare and kindergarten. My youngest dsughter’s old preschool class had 6 or 7 pairs of twins.

I guess that’s the only time their parents could sleep.