News Flash! Condi Rice Isn't Black or Nearly Angry Enough!

[quote]What Rice Can’t See

By Eugene Robinson

Tuesday, October 25, 2005; Page A21

Like a lot of African Americans, I’ve long wondered what the deal was with Condoleezza Rice and the issue of race. How does she work so loyally for George W. Bush, whose approval rating among blacks was measured in a recent poll at a negligible 2 percent? How did she come to a worldview so radically different from that of most black Americans? Is she blind, is she in denial, is she confused – or what?

After spending three days with the secretary of state and her entourage as she toured Birmingham, where she grew up in a protective bubble as the tumult of the civil rights movement swirled around her, I have a partial answer: It’s as if Rice is still cosseted in her beloved Titusville, the neighborhood of black strivers where she was raised, able to see the very different reality that other African Americans experience but not to reach out of the bubble – not able to touch that other reality, and thus not able to really understand it.

Rice’s parents tried their best to shelter their only daughter from Jim Crow racism, and they succeeded. Forty years later, Rice shows no bitterness when she recalls her childhood in a town whose streets were ruled by the segregationist police chief Bull Connor. “I’ve always said about Birmingham that because race was everything, race was nothing,” she said in an interview on the flight home.[/quote]

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01370.html

So, she’s not mad enough about the state of Blacks, she didn’t bring enough Blacks with her on her rise, she doesn’t feel Black like Robinson wants her too, AND she supports Bush.

Maybe if she did her hair in dreadlocks…

Read the whole article. Bring a tissue though…it’s sad.

Eugene Robinson is an assistant managing editor at The Post. who also wrote a book -“Last Dance in Havana” - that has some interesting interviews with former Black “revolutionaries” who fled the US to live in Cuba. Robinson has traveled regularly to Cuba and writes frequently about the status-quo in the ‘workers paradise.’

Just some background on where he’s coming from.

Condoleezza Rice is black ?!? :noway: She’s about as black and Halle Berry and Colin Powell.

And that my friend is the point. :notworthy:

She may or may not be black, but she’s definitely not presidential material.

Republicons singing ‘We Shall Overcome’?

What’s the world coming to?

I saw this too and it’s obsurd. Why this guy wants to perpetuate this idiotic myth that blacks must think a certain way to be a true black is beyond me, but of course I’m not black so I probably wouldn’t understand.

Why do black Americans have to be “black” defined by the white majority and all the other minorities?

Would you say a politician wasn’t acting Asian or Arab enough?

I thought America allowed anyone to be anything. Blacks have enough pressure from their own communities to “act right”. This is just another way of forcing people to behave and submit to stereotypes.

Don’t you think black Americans have the right to be Republican, conservative and successful professionals?

A black American has more of a chance becoming a dentist, doctor or lawyer than a pro athlete or entertainer yet when an African American becomes successful outside these areas we think they aren’t acting black enough.

I don’t support her political views or the presidency she works for but I do think she has the right to be successful and admired for gaining her position through hard work rather than because she was a token black.

Wait a minute…she’s a politician. I admire her for manipulating the system to weasel her way to the top.

So, you’re saying because she is black, she finagled her way to the top?? :loco:

So, you’re saying because she is black, she finagled her way to the top?? :loco:[/quote]
He never said finagle, he said weasel. Pay attention.

So, you’re saying because she is black, she finagled her way to the top?? :loco:[/quote]
He never said finagle, he said weasel. Pay attention.[/quote]

Well, I don’t get to use finagle much in print…so…

[quote=“jdsmith”]

Well, I don’t get to use finagle much in print…so…[/quote]

So you thought you could weasel it by us, eh?

wickedweasel.com/

A race card laid is a race card played.

Can you really have your head on straight if you don’t get regular humbucking? That’s the key question here.

In fact, Condi has no more responsibility than anyone else to care about “black” issues. She can choose her own sensibilities like the rest of us. However, that doesn’t negate the general expectation, likely on both sides, that she should identify and actively support those issues simply because of her race.

I applaud her success and her decision not to run for president.

Why should I, or anyone, expect her to be a racist?

Why should I, or anyone, expect her to be a racist?[/quote]

Because some people are stupid and you should be too. :unamused:

speaking of Sec of State Rice…

Why should I, or anyone, expect her to be a racist?[/quote]
I like discussing, and even debating things sometimes, but I don’t like saying, “That isn’t what I said.” So, I won’t be doing that much. Good to remember in case you ask questions in the future that go unanswered. I assume that all posters will read what is plainly typed and extract the obvious meaning without giving that meaning a spin.

However, just for the sake of keeping the thread going … “That isn’t what I said.”

There’s a name for things that everyone seems to understand without explanation. Can’t put my finger on it. ??? Oh yeah, common sense. Some things you just have to figure out for yourself.

[quote=“seeker4”]I like discussing, and even debating things sometimes, but I don’t like saying, “That isn’t what I said.” So, I won’t be doing that much. Good to remember in case you ask questions in the future that go unanswered. I assume that all posters will read what is plainly typed and extract the obvious meaning without giving that meaning a spin.

However, just for the sake of keeping the thread going … “That isn’t what I said.”

There’s a name for things that everyone seems to understand without explanation. Can’t put my finger on it. ??? Oh yeah, common sense. Some things you just have to figure out for yourself.[/quote]

Blah blah blah. :unamused: Here is the essence of what you stated:

Now, as usual, you protest too much before actually reading what was posted in comment. I don’t think you really do like debate or discussion.

You stated that there is a general expectation that Condi should support certain issues because of her race. Let’s look carefully at this:

1. A “general expectation” refers to a large majority of people holding a particular view, in this case, that Condi should support certain issues because of her race… I am a person… so are the “anyones” I refered to in my remark. For there to be a “general expectation” of anything, a large number of people, in fact, a large majority of some group of people, must share the particular expectation (otherwise the expectation is not a general expectation).

2. If Condi did support certain issues based simply on her race, such support would be, by definition, “racist”. It would be “racist” because it would be “discriminatory” regarding a particular race. If people expect that she should support certain race-based issues because of her race, those people are possibly being racist, as well.

Therefore, your statement essentially says that a large majority of people expect that Condi should be a racist.

I merely asked why I, or anyone, should expect Condi to be racist.

Now, do you care to discuss this, or are you going to blah blah blah some more? Suit yourself. :unamused:

OK, I have recalibrated, am now on the right wavelength, and will answer this bold and daring challenge:

:raspberry: