News in Brief Thread

I know a lot of us don’t have time to follow the news as we should (JMHO). So, here’s the news in brief thread. Topics that seem to catch on can be split off.

My first offering:

sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14122238

[quote]London: Police have foiled a plot to kidnap British Prime Minister Tony Blair’s 5-year-old son Leo, The Sun reported.
Citing an unnamed security source, the tabloid said people on the fringe of a group which campaigns for the rights of divorced fathers had planned to snatch the child and hold him for a short period. [/quote]

That is SO not cool. :raspberry:

Excellent idea Mr. Smith.

drudgereport.com/

Judt remember, Drudge doesn’t make the news, he just posts the sources where it is reported. :slight_smile:

also -

news.google.com/

I just signed up for gmail and it has a link on there for news that you can edit to suit your preferences – I mean the news categories can be edited, not the news itself. I’ve been playing with it all day, tweaking it and such. Pretty good.

Well, I don’t like to automatically edit out news of certain sorts. Know what I mean? And I like the idea of people posting news they find interesting and or important.

jdscoop

I hate news. Too depressing.

Good idead for a thread anyhow.

Here’s one more sad news story.
nytimes.com/2006/01/18/inter … r=homepage

bobepine

Winchester Rifles to Be Discontinued

[quote]NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The traditional Winchester rifles carried by pioneers, movie stars and Wild West lawmen will be discontinued in March, a Belgian manufacturer said Wednesday, confirming the end of an American icon that became known as “The Gun that Won the West.”

Once the U.S. Repeating Arms plant closes March 31, the only new rifles carrying the famous Winchester name will be the modern, high-end models produced in Belgium, Japan and Portugal. The older models, including the famous Winchester Model 94, will be scrapped.[/quote]

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060118/ap_ … sing;_ylt=
Amd1i5H.MGw2PAgYS3Sx5Xes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

What is the point of this story without a picture ? :loco:
apnews.myway.com/article/20060118/D8F7AO280.html

Please help cure this poor woman of cancer:
ananova.com/news/story/sm_1689323.html?menu=

Austria invades Czech Republic:
ananova.com/news/story/sm_1688315.html?menu=

You should see the boat show photos Miranda sent me this morning. That’s all I have to say about that, except: purple dildo? :astonished:

I prefer to get my news from Mr. Shepherd:
newsoftheweird.com/archive/index.html

And my favorite stories this week:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I prefer to get my news from Mr. Shepherd:
newsoftheweird.com/archive/index.html

And my favorite stories this week:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

You know what would really impress me… If we could have posts about Chinese news. I can get what you guys are posting on the internet, but the Chinese stories, TW especially aren’t translated. :smiley:

Nama, go to Taiwan Headlines and click on features. I think they have a few translations sometimes.

taiwanheadlines.com

It’s mostly news about Taiwan from Chinese-language newspapers, on all topics, in English translated from the major newspapers and websites here in Taipei.

english.www.gov.tw/TaiwanHeadlin … rdid=90698

Gotta share this one… Insane. :sunglasses:

more here

Gotta hand it to the Estonians – they’ve got the boy/girl difference thing DOWN. There’s no fooling an Estonian on the gender issue.

I don’t know, that picture is a bit blurry, it could be anyone’s bottom. What is the difference between a girl’s bottom and a boy’s bottom anyway ?

Nama, go to Taiwan Headlines and click on features. I think they have a few translations sometimes.

taiwanheadlines.com

It’s mostly news about Taiwan from Chinese-language newspapers, on all topics, in English translated from the major newspapers and websites here in Taipei.

English.www.gov.tw/TaiwanHeadlin … rdid=90698[/quote]

Thanks cola :beer:

[quote]A plane passenger in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., bit a fellow traveller on Monday before jumping out of the moving aircraft.

He landed on the tarmac, where he was subdued with a stun gun.

Officials with the local sheriff’s office said he was taken to hospital but it was unclear whether he was hurt. The other traveller was slightly injured from the bite. [/quote]

That does not comfort me. Are the doors that easy to open?

cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/world/n … enger.html