Newspaper article about Taiwan

Back in 1947ish, there was a newspaper article documenting the 2-28 incident and asking if the U.S. should keep Taiwan.
A member of Forumosa found that article and posted the links to it. Does anybody have those links or a copy of that newspaper article?

Here’s a 1947 article that discusses 228. It’s based on another report by John W. Powell in the China Weekly Review:

Associated Press, “Chinese Atrocities in Rule of Formosa Charged by Writer,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 29, 1947 (link to article)

So far I haven’t been able to find an article in that timeframe in Google News Archives that discusses both 228 and the idea of the U.S. keeping Taiwan. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any such articles. Here’s a 1947 article concerning a Shanghai newspaper’s (Shanghai was in the ROC at that time) charge that the U. S. wanted to take over Taiwan:

Associated Press, “Chinese Paper Says U. S. Attempting to Take Over Formosa,” Lewiston (Maine) Evening Journal, December 4, 1947 (link to article)

There may in fact be articles written in or around 1947 that discuss both the 228 incident and the idea of the U.S. taking over Taiwan. But so far I haven’t been able to find them on the Internet.

An Oct. 1959 US court case held that no treaty had ever transferred the territorial title of Taiwan to the ROC. See taiwanbasic.com/nstatus/shengvs.htm

Moreover, the official “Starr Memorandum” authored by the US Dept. of State in 1971 held that the ROC did not acquire title to Taiwan territory via either the Peace Treaty of San Francisco or the Treaty of Taipei. Excerpts from that official document are here taiwanbasic.com/nstatus/starr.htm

The international community does not recognize that the ROC has ever obtained ownership of Taiwan. Many of the comments given by various posters on forumosa.com which stress “ROC ownership” are based on the mistaken idea that there was a transfer of Taiwan’s territorial sovereignty to the ROC in 1945. That is totally incorrect.

As late as the Fall of 1950 the U.S. State Dept. confirmed two important facts: (1) The decision to send the Seventh Fleet into the Taiwan Strait was made with the full recognition that Formosa is an international problem, it is not China’s internal problem. (2) To date, no Formal Act restoring Formosa & the Pescadores to China has occurred. For website references, see taiwanbasic.com/state/frus/t … 1950aq.htm

Taiwandocs has a bunch including NYTimes and Newsweek accounts.

taiwandc.org/228-intr.htm

I blogged on other accounts…

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2009/ … count.html

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2009/ … nt-of.html

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2008/ … aiwan.html

and this:

froginawell.net/wenku/files/ … f?download

Thanks everybody!

Taiwandocs has a bunch including NYTimes and Newsweek accounts.

taiwandc.org/228-intr.htm

I blogged on other accounts…

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2009/ … count.html

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2009/ … nt-of.html

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2008/ … aiwan.html

and this:

froginawell.net/wenku/files/ … f?download[/quote]

Thanks for the info!