Newspaper "Survivor" - Vote One Off The Island!

Poagao, what newspaper doesn’t have a political bias?

Bill, you might want to consider sending your letter to all three papers. the other two papers just might see it as a sign that they did something right.

He-llomy name is Nancy T. Lu and the best writter at CHina Post is i amso how can your daring to making monkey maonkey fun at articals what I writed in the PAPER??? I think you jsut don’t maybe are too clever for what you have BIG BOSSY BOOTs.

quote:
Originally posted by dorothy...: Poagao, what newspaper doesn't have a political bias?

They all have political biases, actually. In my opinion the Post actually has the least blatant political slant. This example at least was in a clearly defined advertisement which was obviously not part of the paper. The other two papers pretty much do the same thing, but mask it as ‘news’, which is, in my opinion, more dangerous because people assume it is credible. The post does this as well, but of the three I think it has the least problem with bias. The Post’s real failings lie with its lack of quality, poor layout and sporadic copyediting, but I can at least deal with those faults, while the biases of the Times and the News interfere too much with their coverage to even bother with them.

quote:
Originally posted by Poagao: This example at least was in a clearly defined advertisement which was obviously not part of the paper.

I don’t think it is splitting hairs to say that if an advertisement is in the paper, it is part of the paper. Newspapers use editorial judgement to drop advertisements all the time. For instance, (and I don’t know if this has changed) I remember that the Post used to commonly place those horrible ads for missing filipina workers. The China News never did.

quote:
The other two papers pretty much do the same thing, but mask it as 'news', which is, in my opinion, more dangerous because people assume it is credible.

I always find this type of remark somewhat condescending. It implies that you are wise enough to spot bias in reporting, but not others. I think that readers of news magazines or papers generally have the sophistication to recognize when a report is slanted.

I agree that newspapers should try to be as objective as possible, but unfortunately that’s usually not why they were founded. There are better ways to make money then start a newspaper. (and these days most are losing money) They have a mission, and it’s usually to influence public opinion. I think the reason that the Post may has less of a bias is due to lack of organization–not because they have a more objective editorial policy.

I notice that Annette didn’t get her right to reply and even in the same paper an article by Hsieh Kuo-lien, who isn’t too bad generally, said that she “kept her mouth shut this time” which is a pretty judgemental phrase in what purports to be a serious paper. And today a special writer to the Post, Chang Ying-Chien, seriously mangles Lu’s words making her look very stupid, but it seems the editor’s scalpel missed most of that article, and not just the vice-president’s alleged quote.

If you haven’t seen the Post, Chang quotes Lu as saying: “The voice of peace-lover (sic.) from Taiwan has been spoken out (sic.) through a series of activities this (sic.) days. Speak out (sic.) not only for Taiwan (sic.) people but also for the people of the world.”

However, Chang later makes the following blunders:

“to encourage people…to step forward to against (sic.) the wars (sic.).”
“After voicing her cries (sic.)”
“she ratified (sic.) that peace was not a slogan, not invader’s charity (sic.)”

and so on. Mistakes like this can go unnoticed inside a paper, but on the front page again? And so many in one short piece? Surely the editor has noticed the letters in his or her mailbox commenting on the frequent mistakes in the newspaper’s lead articles? There must be no editorial control, or everyone has capitulated and finally handed the reins over to Queen Nancy T. Lu herself!

I’ll give the Post one thing, though: they do have good business, health and technology coverage. In my opinion, they score better in these areas than the other two papers.

Thanks for all your comments. I imagine I’ll struggle on each morning, bounding between outrage and hilarity over my morning soya milk and ‘dan bing’.

quote[quote]If you haven't seen the Post, Chang quotes Lu as saying: "The voice of peace-lover (sic.) from Taiwan has been spoken out (sic.) through a series of activities this (sic.) days. Speak out (sic.) not only for Taiwan (sic.) people but also for the people of the world." [/quote]

Hmm. I don’t think that sic requires a period after it. It makes me feel sik. (sic)

quote:
Originally posted by dorothy...: I always find this type of remark somewhat condescending. It implies that you are wise enough to spot bias in reporting, but not others. I think that readers of news magazines or papers generally have the sophistication to recognize when a report is slanted.

I’m just speaking from my own experience. Before I worked at a newspaper, I doubt I could have spotted a lot of the bias in many of the stories. When you have reporters writing biased stories based on their own opinions but lacking any factual basis, people tend to believe them more than they would believe a similar piece they read in a paid advertisement. I also don’t believe that advertisements are part of the paper’s core content. The paper may pick and choose its ads, but I would never equate them with an article.

Many newcomers to Taiwan rely on the English-language newspapers for an understanding of the local situation. If the view presented is biased, it is unlikely many of them would know, and they would simply return to their native countries thinking that what they read in the paper is an accurate description of reality when it is really just one paper’s propaganda. Because I know Taiwan pretty well, I think I can spot bias in reporting somewhat better than your average foreigner. Having worked at a newspaper helps as well.

Also, the newspapers are often not allowed to edit the content of the advertisements, which could explain why there are so many mistakes in the ad in question. If Annette wants to respond, she can take out her own ad, I guess. As for judgemental statements, all three papers are guilty of that, as well as lack of attribution in headlines, on an almost daily basis.

The root cause of all the cock-ups at the papers is due to the Chinese management. The Taipei Times had hoped to break the established political butt-kissing, flaccid reporting and 1960s layout of the other English-language newspapers. Alas, we should have known better. Even having assembled, at the start, some of the best talent that could be found on this small island, things quickly unraveled.
Much of the mistakes and odd things that creep, or are dragged, into the paper are done despite the protestations of the few foreigners who are still willing to speak up. Advocating superior quality and a better product – be it sound advertising or how to meet deadlines – is a sure way to find yourself looking for work at the end of your contract.
The mind reels at the fantastic stupidity of the management of the Taipei Times and formerly the China News. It has always been “us against them,” and the Chinese, with their intellect and abilities in any pursuit that they undertake being far superior to that possessed by any foreigner, never allow interference from the “outside people.”
As long as the Chinese are in charge of the operations of English-language papers that they do not understand and could not construct themselves for even a single day there will be gaffes and abject failure to meet the lowest standards.
Expect nothing from the papers and you will never be disappointed.

For what it’s worth, Bill, I too was absolutely apalled by the advertisement and I’m glad somebody wrote to complain about it. Thanks for doing that.

Meanwhile, I guess the only reason I like the China Post is they put Ann Landers on page 3!

A Veteran Journalist’s Comments:

I know for a fact no one is allowed to touch Nancy T. Lu’s work. Absolutley no one!

P.S. Wolf Reinhold is right on track! Taipei Times started out great, and like many big hyped up projects that involve foreignors here (in this case, read “some of the island top journalist talent”) it fell apart in the end.

The papers’ will do anything for money, and that includes that controversial front page ad.

Try this on for size:
Page one ad in the Taiwan News for Sept. 7.
Page five ad in the Taipei Times for the same day.
I once dated a “vegan” but her feelers kept getting in the way…

Things I like about the China Post: Dilbert. They also do a good job of covering the gritty sex and crime stories that the other papers often overlook. I don’t find their weekend section useful at all. I don’t bother with the movie reviews. Why do I need a Taiwan newspaper to tell me about Hollywood movies? What I would like to know more about is Taiwanese films, and I think the Taipei Times does a pretty good job of covering those as they come up. I read that Betel Nut Buzz column thing a couple of times. I thought newspapers were supposed to print facts, not fiction. The editing on the local stories is piss poor, too, but that goes without saying.

Things I like about the Taiwan News: Page one stories on head transplants!! Really ground-breaking, bold and daring stuff. I must say, that story was really gripping. I couldn’t put it down. Every other newspaper in town had coverage on the Beijing Games. Boring! What where they going to tell me that I didn’t already know?? Instead, the Taiwan News devotes an entire page to head transplants. One of the most entertaining things I have read in a long time. The article could have been a little more balanced, though. That doctor sounds like a quack. Also, the Taiwan News has some good comics I like.

Things I like about the Taipei Times: In a word, I can read it. Fewer grammar mistakes, although I think the reporters could do a little more leg work. Too many anonymous sources. They also have good comics, particularly Monty. Also, they run a lot of photos of women wearing next to nothing. You should have seen their coverage of Kiko Wu!

Thanks Lurker,
This may open me up to a shit-storm, but I am the one who choose the daily comics for the Taipei Times. I am NOT responsible for the Sunday stuff, although I suggested Sherman’s Lagoon for the Hagar the Horrible-mentality crowd. I also suggest Bizarro. Unfortunately, Life in Hell was only once a week and was too expensive.
If anyone is so bored that they want to know WHY I chose what I did, let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by : You should have seen their coverage of Kiko Wu!

Another excellent thing about the Taipei Times: its archives. www.taipeitimes.com/news/2001/06/07/image/0000018888
www.taipeitimes.com/news/2001/06/07/story/0000088977

Why do people expect so much from the local English papers? This isn’t the New York Times, or even the SCMP … with a readership that numbers 20 or 30 thousand, these 3 Taiwan English papers can’t afford good reporters or editors. If you look at the small market papers in the U.K. or U.S. it’s the same situation … lots of fluff and wire fodder.

Yeah, besides, your in Taiwan! Start learning how to read Chinese and forget the depressing, boring news! Spend that 15nt on Chinese class!
Poop.

Wow we now have something else to complain about in Taiwan. What’s next??? What else can us foreigners complain about??? I am sure we have a few more topics.

Let’s go. View everyday negitively and you too can waste your time bitching about it on the internet.

Just like me now.

Ah c’mon now. Complaining, wheezing, coughing and b*tchin is a healthy part of my morning breakfast. Pls dont take that away from me. This discussion board is like my virtual punching bag. Or like group therapy for the 21st century. Like Coffemate in my coffee. Like Yogi slapping around BooBoo. Like PreparationH for my, my, uh, you know. It’s all good. Prevents Terry Gilliam from seizing my reality.

CG

I wonder if Mr/Ms Dummy my poo poo (a name that should inspire confidence) has actually read a newspaper in Chinese. If he had, I am not sure that he would be so quick to condemn the English papers for their lack of quality.

The fact that the Chinese media here is terrible doesn’t, in my opinion, excuse the English-language newspapers for their general lack of quality. I can read Chinese newspapers, but while I think the Chinese newspapers are full of sensationalism and utter crap reporting, that doesn’t mean I can’t think similar things about the English-language papers.