役别 next to my name on wife's national ID

It’s dumb, I know.
There should be a line or something to make it obvious.

An invisible column?

1 Like

Yes haha

Even if it was a different column, it would still be for the spouse because it’s in the spouse row… Nothing else fits into this imaginary column, are you sure it exists?

I’m 97.5% sure.

My wife seems to think she didn’t have those characters on her old ID card that she had before we registered our marriage, which leads me to think they are related to me, especially since they are in the spouse line and are directly after my name.

She had it before I’m pretty sure. It’s not related to you in any way tho, even tho it’s in the “spouse” line.

Would be interesting to see the back of an ID card of a woman who isn’t married to confirm this.

I’m trying to find one rn

No luck.

If the card holder is an active military person, 現役 is written. If the person is retired, one of eight branches(「常官備役」、「預官」、「常士備役」、「預士」、「常兵備役」、「補充兵」、「國民兵」、「替代備役) is written.

“若持證者為現役中華民國國軍軍人,則役別欄將會輸入「現役」;退伍後,役別欄依兵種之不同有「常官備役」、「預官」、「常士備役」、「預士」、「常兵備役」、「補充兵」、「國民兵」、「替代備役」八種,但除役後換證將不會顯示持證者曾任職之役別,此與舊式身分證不同之處[13]。”

By the way, what is the point of this thread? @mad_masala?

2 Likes

To tickle 证件 geeks like me’s fancies.

1 Like

Many years ago I wrote a poem that was some sort of ode to the pointless and even consciously erroneous actions and decisions. Now I’m stuck in an island and its unofficial forum where random people ask me what the point of some wankery thread is.

I need to get back to hard drinking.

1 Like

too much is not good

1 Like

I compared a few ID cards today (male and female, married and single), and the military characters on the spouse line of a married person definitely do relate to the military status of the spouse. I will confirm with the household registration office on Monday as I’m going there anyway. The military status of the person the ID card belongs to is shown elsewhere, and one of the ID cards I saw today showed two different statuses, his own, and his spouses, which ultimately convinced me.

2 Likes

I kinda want to know how you’re on a marriage ARC with a wife whose Chinese sucks

I imagine there are a lot of guys who are married to Taiwanese who A) speak one of Taiwan’s many languages other than Mandarin, B) were born/raised in a country other than Taiwan, C) have spent so much time out of Taiwan that their reading skills have deteriorated or D) never learnt to read or write Chinese characters to begin with.

2 Likes

For people who read Chinese or use translator.

國民身分證及戶口名簿製發相片影像檔建置管理辦法

役别 itself is an index of the column, like 父, 母, 配偶, etc. The meaning may be military status. The column of your wife’s card is blank.

I think you just made my favorite Forumosa post of the whole entire year.

1 Like