🌏 Tourism - Taiwan | Next year Taiwan may be the top destination for Aussie tourists

“By early next year, we may find that Korea, Taiwan and various islands in the Pacific are top Qantas destinations while we wait for our core international markets like the US and UK to re-open.”

see [Qantas adds two new countries to travel bubble list (yahoo.com)]
Qantas adds two new countries to travel bubble list

2 Likes

Taiwan will rise again.

Taiwan and NZ should make a travel bubble.

2 Likes

Old news it seems, that was in another post somewhere here about a month ago, about the date of the link. And … nothing has happened since.

1 Like

God I hope not. Look at what Bogans have done to Bali. Wherever they go they turn a place to absolute s**t

But I dont think they’ll ever come to TW in numbers because they can’t get away with being drunk sex demons in TW. The locals wouldn’t tolerate it

5 Likes

I hate Aussies as much as the next man :sweat_smile:but your post is a little over the top. I don’t think that many bogans would actually visit Taiwan. Maybe a few who thought they were visiting Thailand by mistake. :kangaroo:

12 Likes

Sure, that’s my point. Bogans won’t like a place like TW that actually enforces rules. That’s why they go to TH or Bali because they can just get wasted, run down the street drunk shirtless, and bang prostitutes. Also TW is a bit too expensive for their budgets

5 Likes

They are feeling a lot of financial pain in Bali at the moment without the Aussie tourism. It was a big industry that went to zero overnight…

2 Likes

Watch out here we come
atm

6 Likes

That’s true of all places that were dumb enough to become reliant on tourism.

2 Likes

According to the article, TW/KR are supposed to be substitutes for people who go to Us/UK, not Bali or Thailand.

Seems like wishful thinking to me. TW/KR are great places to visit but they’re poor substitutes for US/UK.

And anyways, Taiwan’s border controls are moving in the opposite direction. At this rate, I doubt we’ll be open to tourists before the end of 2021 at the earliest.

3 Likes

Point is that US/UK aren’t available unless you want the virus.

In some places, tourism is the only practical option. If Bali didn’t turn itself into a tourist magnet, it probably would have remained poor all along. At least they made hay while the sun was shining.

2 Likes

So most people will stay home. These realistically aren’t fungible destinations for all but a handful of travelers.

1 Like

It all depends on preferences. The Japanese, for example, would rather go to Taiwan and be closer to home for safety reasons.

As Nikkei Asian Review points out, only 23% of Japanese citizens actually have a passport—the lowest among G7 states . This mirrors the modest growth in overseas travel for Japanese tourists since 2015. And when they do travel, the Japanese tend to stay close to home, preferring to visit places like South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

1 Like

But we’re not talking about Japanese travelers. We’re talking about Australians and the wishful thinking of a struggling airline that hopes people who used to go to one destination will want to go to a totally different destination simply because their preferred destination is not accessible.

Again, it’s all a moot point since it’s unlikely Taiwan will be opening up to tourists any time soon.

3 Likes

Indonesia saw the world’s largest poverty reduction in history second only to China.

And it’s not tourism-driven. There are ethnic-Chinese industrialists in cahoots with the Indonesian government that are pushing it.

1 Like

:rofl:

4 Likes

I doubt that Qantas itself would be interested in flying to Taiwan (again). Simple reason being not enough Bums on seats in Business Class. They pulled out 20 years ago for that reason. Most Tourist traffic between the two originates from the Taiwan end, and it would be the Taiwanese tourist that would benefit. Any Qantas involvement would be short term I think, but they would have to compete against daily flights from China Airlines.

Remember also that these “Bubbles” would normally be reciprocal (and for some silly reason the AU-NZ one is not), and I cant see Taiwan opening borders to Australia (and most other countries) without Quarantine any time soon.

I would think that any “Bubble” that Taiwan might consider would be with Japan, where the No of cases vs Population is on par with Australia.

3 Likes