NHI B contributions between jobs

It is connected to visa/residency, so I guess this is the right place. A year ago, I had a break between employment (same job wanted me to take a month off) so as per the advice given here, I went along to the local NHI office and told them I wanted to pay my own contributions for a couple of months. No problem. They said there would be no interruption and I would receive a bill–which I did.

The same thing has happened again this year, but the response has been different. It is hard to know exactly what was going on as no one there speaks much English. They did not say as before that it was fine and I could pay. They said come back on 11 January. They also said I hadn’t needed to pay the previous bill and they would send it back to me. My employment finished 31 December so I am guessing the coverage continues until 11 Jan? But what happens then? And why didn’t they just say the same thing as before? I was in the office a long time and 3 or 4 of them got involved so it wasn’;t an individual mistake.

I found it something of a curve ball too, so I guess that’s why there are no answers. I went to the dentist today and the card could not be used. They got NHI on the phone and the speaker told me to keep the receipt and I could get a refund when I go and see them Monday. They told me there would be no interruption of service…but clearly there has been. Let’s see what they say on Monday. This was in Taoyuan by the way.

if you are employed at the last day of a month, you pay your NHI premium of the month through the employer.

I’m in the same situation now. I’m quitting mid-month, so does the employer pay for my NHI the month after I quit (my last salary is paid in the middle of the next month). Or do they just pay the full salary owed (minus taxes) but I have to pay for the insurance. I’m dealing with layers of bureaucracy and I can’t get a straight answer. They did said they would give me a withdrawal certificate for NHI coverage on my last day.

I think this, but either way, NHI office will fix any problem such as you pay twice or your enrollment is not continuous, eventually, if exist.

yes, you give the paper to your next insurance unit.

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/Content_List.aspx?n=6A4FA398E44FF159&topn=5FE8C9FEAE863B46

保險對象由於轉換「投保單位」或「改變投保身分」等原因辦理轉出手續時,原投保單位應該複印「保險對象退保申報表」一份,交給保險對象帶到新投保單位辦理投保手續,新投保單位應該注意為保險對象銜接投保和收取保險費。

Yeah, but then I have to go take a number sit in the office for an hour again.

And what about in between? It seems like there’s a month that I’m not covered. Do I have to go sit in the NHI office and pay it there?

1 Like

Thanks. It’s the period of time I’m worried about. Apparently, my office will give me the withdrawal certificate in the middle of my last month, also my last day. I don’t know if my insurance coverage ends that day or the end of the month, or something else.
I wonder what they mean by change identities.