NHI premiums

Will answer here so my post doesn’t get lost in the main gold card thread.

I think that’s feasible in principle for the time being, but you’d also want to consider the costs associated with 6 people leaving the country every several months, especially at the moment with quarantine requirements. Plus the out-of-pocket medical expenses for those same 6 people that you’d have to pay if not insured.

You’d also want to check the impact of the recent amendment to the 6-month waiting period for NHI eligibility. This has normally been discussed as a benefit in that it will allow gold card holders immediate access to NHI coverage…but I wouldn’t be surprised if it also obligates us to get NHI immediately, in which case your proposal wouldn’t work down the line when the act comes into effect.

At present, if your income is wholly foreign-sourced, the NHI rate is just the minimum of ca. NT$826 per month (I’m not sure whether that’s adjusted later based on tax returns - would need someone better informed to check), so that’s something to look into too.

Finally, I think that NHI contributions are tax-deductible if you take the itemized deduction rather than standard deduction, so if you do end up paying a lot in NHI contributions, the impact might not be as high as initially expected (you’d have to do the calculations).

4 Likes