NHI premiums

Your current insurance is likely more comprehensive than NHI.

Ooh, good point, I mean it’s definitely more comprehensive geographically since it covers claims world-wide. Not sure how much it’s worth trying to compare services though, since it’s not like NHI is really optional.

When it says it’s a draft amendment, does that means it’s not in effect yet?

Well, looks like it’s not draft anymore: https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=F0746484B877D582&s=E6C946A9FB4F8DF7

Foreign special and senior professionals who are employers or self-employed business owners, and their dependent relatives, can join the NHI system without a 6-month wait.

“Can”? :confused:

Enrolment in NHI is mandatory for anyone eligible.

1 Like

What then is the calculation of NHI premium to pay in the case you’ve just arrived and have no employment or own business income?
(once the legal changes are implemented)

Then you will most like have to pay the premium for the unemployed (currently NT$ 826 per month). I am still unsure, though, if they will adjust that retroactively if you late declare income on your taxes for that period.

@fifieldt Is this confirmed? As in, can I use NHI to pay for my quarantine PCR? :sweat_smile:

I also asked the gold card office and got conflicting answers, they didn’t seem to know about 6 months or not.

Aren’t the quarantine PCR tests covered by the government anyway? I read an article earlier suggesting that they were.

I think they charge for the trip to the hospital to get tested and exhale over a few other people, though.

Covered but not covered, oh and cash only please.

1 Like

The one at the airport is free. The one at the end of quarantine is kind of covered but with co-payment (200 to 500 depending on the place, mine in KH was 300). Normally it would cost 3,500 and up.

I paid the co-payment even if they came to the hotel lobby with a bus, so I guess the fee is not related to the taxi.

Oh man don’t get me started on that :rofl: :rofl:

I only paid for the taxi during my quarantine in October. But I used my NHI card when they asked for identification at the testing site. Not sure if that saved me the fee.

Yeah, but of course “normally” there just means what the hospitals/health authorities have decided they want to charge people for self-paid tests (whether that’s profiteering, punishment for those having the temerity to travel during the never-ending plague, or discouragement for every hypochondriac who wants one – no idea).

I’d be surprised if the cost price was more than a few hundred, so it’s not really a bargain…

The hotel said 500 NTD per person, pay by card. Not a huge deal in the end I guess but I was mostly wondering about the 6 month wait.

Ok, so I’m still confused about whether I have to enroll now or in 6 months. Based on the NHI website, I can’t tell which of these I am:

Foreign special professionals and foreign senior professionals who are employers or self-employed business owners can register for the program through their companies from the date their business is founded.

Those without a fixed employer or family members with whom dependency can be claimed, must, after six months of consecutive residence, enroll through the local administrative office where they reside.

As a self-employed gold card holder with no business presence in Taiwan, am I a “self-employed business owner” or “those without a fixed employer”?

Those without fixed employer.

1 Like

Hey Andrew, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I’m in a similar situation to you. I work remotely from Taiwan for a foreign company without offices in Taiwan. I’ll file my taxes in Taiwan this year for 2022. Did you ever end up having to pay more than the minimum NT$826/month after filing taxes for the (presumably) more substantial income from your foreign company/client?

No, as far as I know those are still the rules. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, as a business owner the premium is quite high. It’s one of the costs and risks of running your own business.

Although I read somewhere that it’s pretty easy to avoid, and that many unincorporated self-employed expats don’t pay more than the $826/month minimum, especially if their income gets deposited into their bank account back home.