NHI Reimbursement

Hi. Does anyone have any idea how much can be reimbursed by the Taiwan National Health Insurance for medical emergencies that happened overseas?

Situation: ( to give you an idea )

1. My dad who was a Taiwan National with a health card passed away in another country 3 months ago. He has been staying in that country for 4 months when he passed away.
  2. He caught Pneumonia when he was there which resulted in other organ failures, resulting to a very expensive Angioplasty operation (heart operation, equivalent to around NT$400,000).
  3. Total Hospital Bill was almost equivalent to around NTD $1,100,000.00
  4. I went to the NHI today and they told me that I need to update my Dad’s premium payment to be able to reimburse. My dad had not paid for so long, the bill is around NT$124,000.

Thus my question, how much of the medical expense (NTD $1,100,000.00) will the Taiwan NHI be able to reimburse me? because I will gamble paying NT$124,000 for my diseased father’s health card just to be able to reimburse.

Please, anyone, I need help.

OP, check out this link

nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/w … ta_id=4910

Relevant bits

Reimbursement Caps

Claims for payment of medical expenses for outpatient, emergency or inpatient care incurred outside the jurisdiction of the National Health Insurance Administration (including overseas and in China) are processed the same way as when NHI-contracted health care institutions make payment claims. The applications are professionally evaluated based on the appropriateness of the treatment, and the scope of coverage and payment conditions are the same as for domestic care and must conform to related National Health Insurance coverage regulations.

Reimbursements for out-of-pocket medical expenses are capped at the average cost for per outpatient visit, or per emergency care visit, or average cost of hospitalization per person per day at domestic medical centers paid by the National Health Insurance Administration in the previous quarter.

It looks like they pay only what would be customary to pay in Taiwan which may be a lot different than that country. The website lists the process.