NHI: Which treatments are only covered for citizens but not for foreign residents?

I just read this article https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202106280008

The topic in general does not concern me and I don’t want to discuss the article in general. There was one thing, however, which caught my attention:

There are conditions, however, which include an age limit of 45 for the wife and a requirement that at least one partner in the marriage must be a Taiwanese national.

Until now, I was under the impression that NHI does not differentiate in its coverage between citizens and residents as long as they are properly enrolled. However, this does not seem to be the case.

Now I am wondering which other treatments NHI might only cover for citizens, but not residents.

Is there an overview about the differences of NHI coverage for foreigners vs. citizens (i.e. which treatments are out-of-pocket for foreigners, but covered for citizens)?

Or does this differentiation only apply to this particular topic?

This is my impression. Some free examinations for kids are just for citizens, as well.

Taiwan golden rule: everything is for nationals only, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

2 Likes